Live Q & A with Wildhack | Syracusefan.com

Live Q & A with Wildhack

Shocking that the going rate for a 5 star QB according to Wildhack is $2.5M. We will never, ever be able to play in that arena.

I don't want to play in that arena and totally agree with what he said about spreading the wealth (literally). Having one guy get all the money would be a locker room disaster.
Absolutely this. There are 2 major problems with paying players that kind of money:

1) The player is almost assuredly not invested in the program. They are invested in themselves

2) The chances that a donor is throwing money away is high (no matter what dollar amount, but particularly when we are talking millions of dollars). High expectations for performance come with high NIL deals

Thought Wildhack did a great job. I'm happy he brought up penalties. To me, penalties and subpar OL play have been the biggest ongoing controllable problems under Dino through the years that has held us back.
and boneheaded clock management/game decisions. JW just didn't mention those ;)

Absolutely this. There are 2 major problems with paying players that kind of money:

1) The player is almost assuredly not invested in the program. They are invested in themselves

2) The chances that a donor is throwing money away is high (no matter what dollar amount, but particularly when we are talking millions of dollars). High expectations for performance come with high NIL deals
I dont think #2 is any different than a donation straight to a school. The expectations are high. The return on money (in terms of wins) might not be there, but people do, and will, continue to do it with the aspiration to help their team (and gain access).

I don't want to play in that arena and totally agree with what he said about spreading the wealth (literally). Having one guy get all the money would be a locker room disaster.
Other programs seem to handle it ok.

Get a highly rated quarterback from the transfer portal who’s been buried at a factory school. Just providing the opportunity to compete for playing time should be enough. I spread NIL money around to the OT, DT, LB, WR, and shut down DB. Players like Bergeron, Jones/Wax, Williams, Gadsden. it is easier to find a good RB as long as you have a competent OL.

John and Dino seem to be on the same page about the direction and expectations of the program.

John and Jim seem to working things out on the best possible exit plan...oof I didn't like that for some reason.

I'm happy what he shared about NIL, recruiting, AW, compliance, and spreading the wealth.

I think ADs at schools similar to SU and the G5 will make an effort in the coming years to address the inequality in NIL. Mainly to even the competition for the higher end talent. Elite programs are awash with money right now and it’s tough for schools like SU to compete and hold onto the talent that’s been developed.

Fair assessment regarding the state of the football program by Wildhack. Continue to build Dino or we are hiring another coach.
And if Dino can’t get it done, I bet he would poach Tony White first to be HC. I’m every interview he comments on the importance of our upgrades at coordinator spots. Every, single, interview he mentions them.

Hopefully what doesn’t happen is schools like Syracuse become farm teams for bigger schools. So we develop the talent and then big schools that can throw a big NIL deal at them poaches them when we could have a big year.

I think ADs at schools similar to SU and the G5 will make an effort in the coming years to address the inequality in NIL. Mainly to even the competition for the higher end talent. Elite programs are awash with money right now and it’s tough for schools like SU to compete and hold onto the talent that’s been developed.
The cat is out of the bag. NIL will never be able to get under control. Whatever limits are put in place teams/boosters will go beyond. The money is coming from outside the universities, so conference intakes from tv, etc. shouldn’t matter. Boosters matter. The problem is the SEC and Big Ten have money coming in from TV revenue to pay coaches and update facilities so boosters can prop up NIL. So your correct in saying elite programs will always have an advantage, we have one Weitsman where some have dozens.

The cat is out of the bag. NIL will never be able to get under control. Whatever limits are put in place teams/boosters will go beyond. The money is coming from outside the universities, so conference intakes from tv, etc. shouldn’t matter. Boosters matter. The problem is the SEC and Big Ten have money coming in from TV revenue to pay coaches and update facilities so boosters can prop up NIL. So your correct in saying elite programs will always have an advantage, we have one Weitsman where some have dozens.

Come to Syracuse and the boosters will get you a car commercial.

Come to an SEC school and the boosters will get you a car.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom