Locker room | Syracusefan.com

Locker room

Status
Not open for further replies.

RMH44

All American
I have it from a very good source that one of the main issues with this year's group is they simply don't like each other. I was told that it is one of the worst locker rooms in JB's career. Very selfish "me first" attitude permeates the team.

I apologize if this has already been posted.

I've said this team hasn't felt like a "team" since the first game of the season. I figured they would gel as the season went on. Not so much unfortunately.

I have it from a very good source that one of the main issues with this year's group is they simply don't like each other. I was told that it is one of the worst locker rooms in JB's career. Very selfish "me first" attitude permeates the team.

Not shocked at all. White comes across on the court as "the guy you hate to play pickup with". Just a black hole.

I think you are correct about a lot of this, but I think the dynamic is actually a bit simpler -- as in there is one bad apple who is now actively disliked by the other players, who has spoiled team chemistry and caused a lot of issues on and off the court.

Badly paraphrasing Forrest Gump, That's all I'm going to say about that.

I haven't heard about the pervasive selfish attitude, or White being a problem. But the integration of our fifth year transfers is an issue, a lot of which can be traced to my first paragraph above--to the detriment of the team.

Probably true - add this to the laundry list of probably true rumors over the last 40 years.

#1 worst has to be 2002
Best stretch was prob 2010 - 2013

For their own good, they need to go bowling or play paintball and get over it. Kind of a D'Angelo Russell/Swaggy P situation?

Even if they now approach it selfishly, this is about their own careers. It's in their best interests to fix this.

'Squash that beef, yo.'

Called this when they started bringing in transfers. Pretty good sense there might be chemistry issues with players getting bumped at different positions. Now that they're losing, the issues are compounded.
Who got bumped by transfers ?

Howard starts & if anything has played himself off the court. He would be getting 30 to 35 minutes if his play warranted that much time.

White was brought in to replace Malachi, who isn't here. There is nobody else on the roster with SF-2G size and any kind of an outside shot besides him & Battle, who wasn't here last season.

Chukwu hasn't replaced anybody - not even a walk-on.

Seems to me the guys with the biggest gripes should be Roberson & Coleman. Robey originally started & his play declined as it appears he just got sick of being JB's whipping boy and I cannot blame him. Coleman was totally disrespected by his DNP in a blowout loss, but I do not see where either one is losing minutes to a transfer. TT has come on and taken some of Coleman's minutes, but that is still no reason to disrespect the senior who has been thru as much as he has.

Seems to me the problem is the way the staff has handled guys.

Last edited:
I don't think White is the big problem.

Locker room problem, no, he hasn't been the problem from what I've heard. But that style of play does get old to his teammates as the losses pile up.

I think you are correct about a lot of this, but I think the dynamic is actually a bit simpler -- as in there is one bad apple who is now actively disliked by the other players, who has spoiled team chemistry and caused a lot of issues on and off the court.

Badly paraphrasing Forrest Gump, That's all I'm going to say about that.

I haven't heard about the pervasive selfish attitude, or White being a problem. But the integration of our fifth year transfers is an issue, a lot of which can be traced to my first paragraph above--to the detriment of the team.

Putting 2 and 2 together, is it fair to say that Gillon is the main problem in the locker room?

Locker room problem, no, he hasn't been the problem from what I've heard. But that style of play does get old to his teammates as the losses pile up.

No doubt, not saying its not an issue, just saying he isn't the so called bad apple. And when there is a bad apple it makes it harder to overcome issues like that.

can't say I'm surprised. bringing in guys with a history of walking away from multiple programs . . . even if they seem like nice guys, its not a good energy to introduce. Maybe you can do it with one guy, but two? On a team lacking numbers and leadership (with all due respect to DC)?

but is the locker room really worse than the dark days of Billy Edelin and Josh & Dayshawn Wright?

can't say I'm surprised. bringing in guys with a history of walking away from multiple programs . . . even if they seem like nice guys, its not a good energy to introduce. Maybe you can do it with one guy, but two? On a team lacking numbers and leadership (with all due respect to DC)?

but is the locker room really worse than the dark days of Billy Edelin and Josh & Dayshawn Wright?

Rumors I'm hearing indicates this started long before we got the 2 5th year guys.

Who got bumped by transfers ?

Howard starts & if anything has played himself off the court. He would be getting 30 to 35 minutes if his play warranted that much time.

White was brought in to replace Malachi, who isn't here. There is nobody else on the roster with SF-2G size and any kind of an outside shot besides him & Battle, who wasn't here last season.

Chukwu hasn't replaced anybody - not even a walk-on.

Seems to me the guys with the biggest gripes should be Roberson & Coleman. Robey originally started & his play declined as it appears he just got sick of being JB's whipping boy and I cannot blame him. Coleman was totally disrespected by his DNP in a blowout loss, but I do not see where either one is losing minutes to a transfer. TT has come on and taken some of Coleman's minutes, but that is still no reason to disrespect the senior who has been thru as much as he has.

Seems to me the problem is the way the staff has handled guys.

I suspect Howard doesn't like looking over his shoulder. If he played well, it wouldn't be a problem but he seems to have let it get to him and impact his play. He must've thought the position would be all his and probably didn't appreciate a grad transfer coming in to nip at his heels instead of something like a mid level recruit who he'd have seniority over.

Roberson is the one losing time to White. Roberson seems quiet, so I'm guessing he's not causing locker room issues, but White coming here took minutes away from Roberson even if Roberson played well.

Rumors I'm hearing indicates this started long before we got the 2 5th year guys.
there was not much of a time gap between the afterglow of the FF and the recruitment of Gillon, but if your rumors are correct, the addition of the xfers would act as an accelerant to anything already brewing

I suspect Howard doesn't like looking over his shoulder. If he played well, it wouldn't be a problem but he seems to have let it get to him and impact his play. He must've thought the position would be all his and probably didn't appreciate a grad transfer coming in to nip at his heels instead of something like a mid level recruit who he'd have seniority over.

Roberson is the one losing time to White. Roberson seems quiet, so I'm guessing he's not causing locker room issues, but White coming here took minutes away from Roberson even if Roberson played well.
yeah, Roberson is a guy who really has to be disappointed with his time on the Hill. He came here thinking he was going to be an NBA player, maybe one or two and done, and now he's a senior relegated to 7th man & watching his minutes get eaten up by two last minute signees - a true freshman and a 5th year transfer who's going to spend about 5 minutes on campus

I follow a lot people on twitter , not too discerning, so i follow any player on any of my teams who is on twitter and there is one guy, starting ~two months ago based on his tweets, big red flags in my mind , but thats just me...

I think the problem with Howard is that his skillset so far hasn't translated against better competition. He just isn't a natural scorer either from outside or driving. Of course, that doesn't excuse the careless TOs and lackadaisical D. Champions step it up when there is competition and not back down from it.

In terms of Robey, at the beginning of the year he started and White played the 2. So, I do not see that he lost minutes per se to White or anybody else in particular. He simply did not play well enough to stay on the floor (though in his case I think a large part of that was the staff messing with his head again). Personally, I think what little hope there is for any kind of a mini-turnaround for this group starts with Robey playing as well as he did last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom