LOL Kentucky! | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

LOL Kentucky!

UK was a two seed last year.

They have the #1 recruiting class next year, including three of the top five players and roughly five in the top 20.

We would lose our minds if we were in the same situation.

We are losing our minds bc we just signed a top 100 kid for 2024. No disrespect, I really am bullish on Moore.

UK also has over 25 players in the NBA with over $2.5Bn in earnings. Billions, with a B.

We just came off a sub 500 season and this year isn’t looking great.
If by losing our minds you mean in a favorable way, just nope. We would feel the same as the Kentucky fan base, where fire Calipari is trending.

This is why Calipari recruits so well. He is driven to get these guys drafted and paid. The games are a byproduct of his mission. But it’s also why he has failed so many times with such great recruiting classes and overall talent. You can’t possibly run a proper program when you have a brand new squad every single year.

"Last year we started the season with a goal," Calipari said. "You may think it was to win a national title or win all the games, [but] it was to get eight players drafted. Well, how can you be about your team if you're worried about getting players drafted? We kind of work it the other way. What are your dreams? What are you looking for? What are you trying to get out of life? How can we help you with that?

"For me, the mission for me is to be a vehicle to help others reach their dreams, to be the stone that creates the ripple in their lives that goes on and on and on. Now in our state, they want my mission to be, 'win national titles, win national titles.' My mission is bigger than that."
For top kids today "player development" is a number 1 priority for them. Team success is a number 1 priority for fans. The two don't always mesh.

Kentucky’s problem is they recruit great athletes but not always great basketball players. They always lack perimeter shooters. With the former player of the year inside, you would think they could find some shooters to put along side him.

For top kids today "player development" is a number 1 priority for them. Team success is a number 1 priority for fans. The two don't always mesh.

Does Cal really do a good job of developing players? Or would those 5 stars do just as well in the draft regardless?

Does Cal really do a good job of developing players? Or would those 5 stars do just as well in the draft regardless?
I’m going to go with they would do just as well. Maybe they would do better with more tournament exposure.

I wasn't implying Kentucky did a good job, just that top level kids want a program that improves their skill level and enhances their NBA draft status. That's priority #1.

Who are they going to replace him with? Is he a self-promoting over hyped cheater? You bet.

Is he also a tremendous program builder who's teams win ...a lot? Who is going to do better than him?

Many people are saying that his seat should be getting pretty hot right now. What were they ranked preseason?

Cal is a great recruiter, but not a great coach in other respects. He's cheated at every stop along the way, and exploited a loophole at Kentucky that enabled him to stockpile 5 stars for years, giving him more talent than others to work with, before other programs [i.e., Duke] caught on and started beating him at his own game.

NIL has further diminished whatever advantage he once had.

Without said advantages, he's nothing special. And he'll never be able to recapture that magic at Kentucky. Especially now that several other SEC programs have elevated.

Is Cal struggling now because everyone can get paid and he does not have the advantage there he once did?
He still has some advantage seeing as he’s bringing 3 of top 4 (4 of the top 10) recruits next year.

Is Cal struggling now because everyone can get paid and he does not have the advantage there he once did?
I'm just asking questions! Aren't these questions that need to be asked?

He still has some advantage seeing as he’s bringing 3 of top 4 (4 of the top 10) recruits next year.
He went 9-16 with 5 top 30 players 2 years ago. He's a great acquirer of talent.

He went 9-16 with 5 top 30 players 2 years ago. He's a great acquirer of talent.
That’s what I mean, he still has an edge in recruiting, doesn’t necessarily translate to good performances on the court though

Tobin Anderson has more NCAA Tournament wins in the last four years than John Calipari.
thinking about FDU and Anderson - he was all over the media this tournament and it turns out their "SID" is a junior at the college who also works a bunch of other sports. No band, no SID, a number of D2 transfers and a 50 year old lifer coach....somebody write the movie.

I think Kentucky recruits itself.
Coach definitely matters but UK is a true Blue Blood

It does to a degree, recruit itself. But, it's hard to argue that coaching matters, and matters a lot, and more than you may think.

The program was good under Eddie Sutton, but not great, no FF and/or national championships. Then came along Rick Pitino and he took the program to another level, attaining a national title. After Pitino left, there was Tubby Smith. The program stature and panache fell considerably. Afterwards, there was Billy Gillispie...well, enough said about that. Followed by Callipari, who again elevated the program substantially and attaining high stature along with another NC.

Cal is a great recruiter, but not a great coach in other respects. He's cheated at every stop along the way, and exploited a loophole at Kentucky that enabled him to stockpile 5 stars for years, giving him more talent than others to work with, before other programs [i.e., Duke] caught on and started beating him at his own game.

NIL has further diminished whatever advantage he once had.

Without said advantages, he's nothing special. And he'll never be able to recapture that magic at Kentucky. Especially now that several other SEC programs have elevated.
What this loophole that allowed him to stockpile 5-star talent?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom