LOL Kentucky! | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

LOL Kentucky!

Maybe...but we'd give our left sack for a 2 seed.
Full castration for me. Reminds me of a video the Red Sox made years ago, Dennis Leary said he’d give his nut for a WS, they showed the effort to collect. Was quick but funny seeing Dennis’s concern/fear.

You're overrating seeding which reflects on the current state of college basketball. The talent isn't good by Kentucky standards. I know Syracuse is used to bad basketball, but the current state of the collegiate and grassroots is poor. None of the guys on this year's team would play on the title team.
Seeding is a comparative tool to see where these teams stand against other teams. Yes, it's always going to have some subjectivity but it's a fairly accurate representation of where your program is for that specific year. If you are consistently getting top 4 seeds vs. constantly sitting on the bubble (or worse) that tells you something.

I don’t see this from the perspective of mocking other programs for their difficulties. I see it from the perspective that young athletes and how they blend and fit together in a complex team sport are variable. I see that certain programs have had the historical ability to recruit to a system from elite players and mold them for years. Certain programs have had elite coaches (Syracuse) who have been able to take next tier athletes and draw elite performances from them. I see that now players are itinerant because of NBA stockpiling, early drafting and the portal. I see it as a reflection of the narrowness of perspective of those who bemoan our loss of glory, our expectation of pulling rabbits out of hats.
Imagine being Georgetown, or Kentucky, or name your example.
Here there are no permanent cities.
If it can happen to Kentucky with their abundance of riches and an outstanding game coach, why should we imagine we are immune?
I trust Boeheim to navigate these circumstances more than any speculative prospect. I know he is bearing the end of a run where he gratified ’Cuse fans beyond what we had a right to, but came to, expect.
I am grateful. I think the lessons are being missed.
Plus, why wouldn’t anyone celebrate Pay Pal Cal failing?

Probably because World Wide Wes is too busy with the Knicks these days to recruit for Cal and be his bag man.

This is why Calipari recruits so well. He is driven to get these guys drafted and paid. The games are a byproduct of his mission. But it’s also why he has failed so many times with such great recruiting classes and overall talent. You can’t possibly run a proper program when you have a brand new squad every single year.

"Last year we started the season with a goal," Calipari said. "You may think it was to win a national title or win all the games, [but] it was to get eight players drafted. Well, how can you be about your team if you're worried about getting players drafted? We kind of work it the other way. What are your dreams? What are you looking for? What are you trying to get out of life? How can we help you with that?

"For me, the mission for me is to be a vehicle to help others reach their dreams, to be the stone that creates the ripple in their lives that goes on and on and on. Now in our state, they want my mission to be, 'win national titles, win national titles.' My mission is bigger than that."

I don’t get laughing at anybody at our current state. We crap on Rutgers, they’re better than us, we laugh at UConn, they’re one of the best in the country. We have a current losing streak to Colgate.

Why not. I laugh at other teams and will at time even take some mild shots at our own plight.

I guess for me I don't take it so seriously. It is not life or death. I may get angry in the moment of the game, very upset, but get over it pretty quick. It's an escape have fun with it. I guess not everybody views it the same but that's the way for me especially with the real life issues we are actually dealing with over the last few years. Sure it would be better if Syracuse didn't stink (relatively), or the Toronto Raptors weren't treadmilling for me. But I will have fun with sports in other ways and make fun at other things, or hoping for certain better teams to flop (like Duke or Kentucky) is part of it.

UConn is great now so the F what... its not like my laughing at their down times made them any better. And its not like a feel any worse that I made fun of Danny Hurley or other things at the past.

Last edited:
Not just a losing streak, but two straight blowouts where we were barely even competitive for large stretches. I should be feeling great about running into an ailing VT squad this evening; instead, I feel like we are going to roll the ball out, get down by ten before JB starts coaching, and watch what basically becomes a shooting drill for the opposing squad. Every game feels the same, even against 2-and-whatever Louisville.

My absolute worst SU basketball and JB fears have been realized.
Yeah and when we play a ranked team I feel like I used to feel about the football team: try and keep it close and lose by a respectable margin. It makes me ill that this is what this program has become

Yeah and when we play a ranked team I feel like I used to feel about the football team: try and keep it close and lose by a respectable margin. It makes me ill that this is what this program has become
When I felt happy for the team when we lost in the ACCT in a close game a couple years back it started to hit hard.

I get laughing at them, but I also see no future where they don't go 110% after a big name to replace Cal when it comes time and there is no question about that.

Just saying...

Even "can't miss" coaches strike out. Our own Tristan though Gillespie was going to crush it at Kentucky, and he really should have.

You can see they've taken a couple steps back even with Cal. He's past his prime.

While we can't make fun of Rutgers compared to us right now, they give us hope that we can be serious again by 2040.

While we can't make fun of Rutgers compared to us right now, they give us hope that we can be serious again by 2040.

As long as we are a member of the SEC BIG superconference by 2039.

This is why Calipari recruits so well. He is driven to get these guys drafted and paid. The games are a byproduct of his mission. But it’s also why he has failed so many times with such great recruiting classes and overall talent. You can’t possibly run a proper program when you have a brand new squad every single year.

"Last year we started the season with a goal," Calipari said. "You may think it was to win a national title or win all the games, [but] it was to get eight players drafted. Well, how can you be about your team if you're worried about getting players drafted? We kind of work it the other way. What are your dreams? What are you looking for? What are you trying to get out of life? How can we help you with that?

"For me, the mission for me is to be a vehicle to help others reach their dreams, to be the stone that creates the ripple in their lives that goes on and on and on. Now in our state, they want my mission to be, 'win national titles, win national titles.' My mission is bigger than that."
So this flips the paradigm in a way that sounds good, but is it? It’s more of a justification to recruit big names without results on the floor. Would Anthony Davis’s status have been less at another school? …and so on. The game is played to win. Success is measured by putting players together and helping them work efficiently to maximize each other. It is a very tough job with one and dones. That is the playing field he created. So redefining success to match your actual results is not noble. It is a shell game. I doubt Kentucky fans asked for a coach who could “get players drafted”. Dreams!?!?

Fooling kids and families for his own gain is his mission. You can’t tell me any of his elite players would have harmed their draft prospects by playing for a program that wins and goes deep into the tournament. Talent shines through. NBA scouts aren’t just driving to Kentucky to see what Calipari thinks. He is a foul, self promoting cheat.

UK was a two seed last year.

They have the #1 recruiting class next year, including three of the top five players and roughly five in the top 20.

We would lose our minds if we were in the same situation.

We are losing our minds bc we just signed a top 100 kid for 2024. No disrespect, I really am bullish on Moore.

UK also has over 25 players in the NBA with over $2.5Bn in earnings. Billions, with a B.

We just came off a sub 500 season and this year isn’t looking great.

UK was a two seed last year.

They have the #1 recruiting class next year, including three of the top five players and roughly five in the top 20.

We would lose our minds if we were in the same situation.

We are losing our minds bc we just signed a top 100 kid for 2024. No disrespect, I really am bullish on Moore.

UK also has over 25 players in the NBA with over $2.5Bn in earnings. Billions, with a B.

We just came off a sub 500 season and this year isn’t looking great.
Shell game. You can’t tell boosters and the institution your vision is “bigger” than wins and tournaments and survive. He is desperately writing his epitaph.

Shell game. You can’t tell boosters and the institution your vision is “bigger” than wins and tournaments and survive. He is desperately writing his epitaph.

He’s not talking to the college. He’s talking to the kids who want monster second NBA contracts.

Fans care about the school. Elite prospects care about the NBA.

He’s not talking to the college. He’s talking to the kids who want monster second NBA contracts.

Fans care about the school. Elite prospects care about the NBA.
The problem for him is, the school hires him. They can’t disregard the fan base.

Fooling kids and families for his own gain is his mission. You can’t tell me any of his elite players would have harmed their draft prospects by playing for a program that wins and goes deep into the tournament. Talent shines through. NBA scouts aren’t just driving to Kentucky to see what Calipari thinks. He is a foul, self promoting cheat.
C54E3D62-34CC-4557-BDBE-1198966B1173.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom