Looking ahead to Louisville, NC State, and Pitt... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Looking ahead to Louisville, NC State, and Pitt...

Not saying we dont have work to do in the back end but Flowers runs pass every defense. They've been trying to hit him all season and their QB's over throws him.
Yup - travesty he plays for BC.

NC State has looked consistently good on offense, about 30-ish ppg against their best competition. Their defense is solid too.

In our favor is that we are the sixth straight week they play coming out of their bye. Injuries begin to add up late in the year
Yeah, I was surprised that beat L'ville so convincingly. Gotta think the injuries for them are going to reach a tipping point.

With 2 weeks to prepare and heal some injuries Babers. White. & Gilbert create the scheme and the players execute = mission accomplished ( SU ) leaves Cardinal stadium 6 - 4 and become bowl eligible.
We have had some bad games coming off a bye week.

Lost 54-0 at Clemson. Although it was Clemson. Although Dungey got hurt early. Although it was already 10-0.

Lost 27-24 at FSU who was 2-5 going into the game and about to fire their HC.

Beat UNC at home 40-37 in 2 OT. They were 1-4 going in and about to fire their HC.

Lost at NC State 16-10 if you want to count it. It was a Thursday game so we had longer to prep but not a full 2 weeks. We were down 16-0 till late 3rd Q to a team that ended up 4-8 (1-7).

Won at Duke 49-6 which was very impressive.

Lost at home to Duke 38-24. It was their 1st win of the year in which they went 2-9 (1-9). Tommy played all but the last drive.

Lost at Louisville 30-0. Coming into that game they had lost 6 of 7 and were 2-6 overall.

So Dino is 2-5 coming off of a bye week having lost to some bad football teams. None of those losses did the team look sharp. And one of his wins was in OT against a bad football team. In all 5 losses we trailed at some point by at least 2 TDs (14 points).

Ville is really talented. We need to play very well to beat them or anyone of the remaining 3 teams. Lets get 6 in 2 weeks and play with house money the rest of the way.
They are NOT very talented. Out of our conference games this year they are the 2nd least talented. IMO they are also less talented than Liberty. If they don't beat us, they will not make a Bowl game this year.

Not saying we dont have work to do in the back end but Flowers runs pass every defense. They've been trying to hit him all season and their QB's over throws him.
what was interesting is how many of them were not really beating coverage just no coverage at all. not sure what we were doing on several of them. He didnt really run a route to beat anyone.. A couple of the open guys were just WRs running slow gos jogging down field and the DBs stopped running with them and the safeties didnt come over the top either..

I dont get why on 3rd and 20 though we bite on the short routes and let them run by us.. its like they want to play soft cushion and then decide they can break for INT and over the top it goes.

what was interesting is how many of them were not really beating coverage just no coverage at all. not sure what we were doing on several of them. He didnt really run a route to beat anyone.. A couple of the open guys were just WRs running slow gos jogging down field and the DBs stopped running with them and the safeties didnt come over the top either..

I dont get why on 3rd and 20 though we bite on the short routes and let them run by us.. its like they want to play soft cushion and then decide they can break for INT and over the top it goes.
Hard to really tell you from the TV view. I have to see the whole field. What I have noticed is that we tend to play coverage on 3rd and longs. Mainly zone.

Playing at Louisville has been so frustrating for us this past decade. Most of these games are over by the second half. We absolutely need to change that in two weeks.

2020: 30-0
2019: 56-34
2017: 56-10
2015: 41-17
2011: 27-10

They are NOT very talented. Out of our conference games this year they are the 2nd least talented. IMO they are also less talented than Liberty. If they don't beat us, they will not make a Bowl game this year.
I dont agree.

Lost 54-0 at Clemson. Although it was Clemson. Although Dungey got hurt early. Although it was already 10-0.

Beat UNC at home 40-37 in 2 OT. They were 1-4 going in and about to fire their HC.

Lost at NC State 16-10 if you want to count it. It was a Thursday game so we had longer to prep but not a full 2 weeks. We were down 16-0 till late 3rd Q to a team that ended up 4-8 (1-7).

Lost at home to Duke 38-24. It was their 1st win of the year in which they went 2-9 (1-9). Tommy played all but the last drive.

Lost at Louisville 30-0. Coming into that game they had lost 6 of 7 and were 2-6 overall.

So Dino is 2-5 coming off of a bye week having lost to some bad football teams. None of those losses did the team look sharp. And one of his wins was in OT against a bad football team. In all 5 losses we trailed at some point by at least 2 TDs (14 points).
I wouldn’t use 2020 data to prove anything. 2019 at NC State I was there and our QB was acting shell shocked and that killed us. Not that I blame him. Losing at FSU and to Clemson - those are talented teams. I would like to beat them but I don’t see that as a given coming off a bye.

I wouldn’t use 2020 data to prove anything. 2019 at NC State I was there and our QB was acting shell shocked and that killed us. Not that I blame him. Losing at FSU and to Clemson - those are talented teams. I would like to beat them but I don’t see that as a given coming off a bye.
nc st has a very physical team. had chances to beat them every year pretty much.. last year we just didnt handle the 50/50 jump balls they threw all game long.

they ran for 44 vs Lou 100 vs miami 130 vs bc really only 2 good running games all yr for them.. We have to make them one dimensional again.

These games are going to be incredibly difficult. We play our easiest game on the road and play three of the top five rushing defenses in the ACC. We're one of the five and Clemson is the other.

Pitt has a dynamic offense, and NC State is very solid. We seem to always play poorly at Louisville. There is a realistic and not pessimistic scenario that this team could lose all three. I think Louisville is their best chance to win six, but none of these games will be easy.

I have faith in the offense and the offensive line to move the ball and to play ball control coming out of the bye. I hope the defense is up to the task.

The ACC has been very mediocre this year and Wake aside….admittedly a close loss for us…plus a decent but not great Clemson, we haven’t played anyone good. We will be taking a step up in weight class vs a couple of our remaining foes. We have shown that we can beat mediocre teams like VT and BC so now we see if the talent that has been marinating for the past few weeks is ready to make a move on some of the better teams in the conference. It will be an interesting end of the season for sure.

Playing at Louisville has been so frustrating for us this past decade. Most of these games are over by the second half. We absolutely need to change that in two weeks.

2020: 30-0
2019: 56-34
2017: 56-10
2015: 41-17
2011: 27-10
Are we really playing three straight years at Ville?

The ACC has been very mediocre this year and Wake aside….admittedly a close loss for us…plus a decent but not great Clemson, we haven’t played anyone good. We will be taking a step up in weight class vs a couple of our remaining foes. We have shown that we can beat mediocre teams like VT and BC so now we see if the talent that has been marinating for the past few weeks is ready to make a move on some of the better teams in the conference. It will be an interesting end of the season for sure.
I think Liberty was a great win, they were just outside the top 25 at the time and have one of the best QBs in the country.

Has to be Louisville; fresh team coming off 2 weeks rest, vs struggling team. Plus - Cards look like they lost safety Tre Clark to serious injury last night; key cog to their defense.
Just leave no doubt, and get the 6 win monkey off the back.

He's now out for the season

Im concerned coming off the buy. The team does not usually look good coming off a buy for some reason. I remember the Louisville game last year where Morgan got crushed and we were not competitive.
Remember the Louisville defender at media day saying our O was predictable. Hopefully Gilbert will be able to put some wrinkles in that will work. We know they are going to stack the box and force GS to throw. Great time for Benson and Mang. Know I’m dreaming.
Also Cunningham is very elusive so I hope both jones and wax are healthy.

Remember the Louisville defender at media day saying our O was predictable. Hopefully Gilbert will be able to put some wrinkles in that will work.
Hopefully Gilbert remembers who he is and goes at him a few times.

Are we really playing three straight years at Ville?
Crazy. Just strange schedules due to Covid. Team is going to get real familiar with Winston-Salem and Chestnut Hill in the coming years.

Very good research thank you, I would bet Dino's teams are usually 2 - 5 even without having a bye week.

I’d feel better if our D wasn’t leaving practically every downfield BC receiver wide open. Seems like an ACC qb would’ve exposed the secondary big time. I’m hoping they were somewhat intentionally left open betting the PWO qb couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn. I truly hope so.
Let’s win all three!!

Watching the LVille Clemson tape Id imagine is going to be very beneficial to our staff to see how the Cardinals handle the admittedly depleted Clemson front and look for chinks in the armor, and also how they respond to the legs of Shipley

if we’re gonna beat em, I’m pretty sure we’re gonna have to do it on the ground.
Well, I do t think we are winning through the the air

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom