Looking ahead to next year's squad | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Looking ahead to next year's squad

jordoo said:
I agree that there is a very good chance he will not be a liability on offense. Plus with Chukwu he will be able to play aggressively on both ends. I'll add that although I'm still doubtful when it comes to Roberson's jump shot I expect he will get better at rolling off the pick and also his 1 and 2 dribble drive moves. So less of a liability in the half court sets. Roberson and Chukwu in together could clog things on offense but I would think our offensive rebounding rate would be very good.
I think Roberson will also be helped greatly by better passing out of the pick and role by our new true point guard. It's so important for the roller to get the ball in the right spot and in the right timing. That just never developed well last year. I also believe Frank could become adept at it. He showed some real promise last year with his passing skills and he will only get better and more confident.

Last edited:
I think Roberson will also be helped greatly by better passing out of the pick and role by our new true point guard. It's so important for the roller to get the ball in the right spot and in the right timing. That just never developed well last year. I also believe Frank could become adept at it. He showed some real promise last year with his passing skills and he will only get better and more confident.

The only way the role man will be open is if Lydon is playing the 5. If DC2 or Chukwu are in the game their defender will clog the middle because they are none shooters

^^^^^We are trying to encourage my daughter to listen to good music, classic rock and such. That being said, she's been sucked into the "Frozen" vortex, so she loves the song, "Let It Go."

^^^^^We are trying to encourage my daughter to listen to good music, classic rock and such. That being said, she's been sucked into the "Frozen" vortex, so she loves the song, "Let It Go."

My younger daughter had a sleepover when that movie first hit dvd. 7 girls between 7-9 years old. :bang:

I'm really excited about the offensive potential of this team. I think we have guys playing at their natural positions and our guards will be a handful. And we will be more explosive in transition. Then JB has some options at the 3/4 finally, especially if we add tt.

I'm wondering more about the d at the guard since g and cooney were veterans and so skilled at ball denial, getting steals, deflections, etc. Should help relegate any deficiencies with 7'2" waiting at the rim.

I'm really excited about the offensive potential of this team. I think we have guys playing at their natural positions and our guards will be a handful. And we will be more explosive in transition. Then JB has some options at the 3/4 finally, especially if we add tt.

I'm wondering more about the d at the guard since g and cooney were veterans and so skilled at ball denial, getting steals, deflections, etc. Should help relegate any deficiencies with 7'2" waiting at the rim.

The 2016-17 will be a lot like the 2015-16 season. We will have some highs and have some lows. The defense will get batter by the end of the season. I doubt we make the top 25 most of the season but I don't think we will be a bubble team like 2015-16.

If you have ESPN insider, John Gasaway did an early preview on the ACC next year. He has us finishing 7th, with a team that will be good on defense, but struggle to score.

If you have ESPN insider, John Gasaway did an early preview on the ACC next year. He has us finishing 7th, with a team that will be good on defense, but struggle to score.
Read it and it was fair. 7th is a NCAAT team. Which we are but not a NC threat.

Next year I would bet Duke wins it all. They look scary good.

One thing about these all freshman teams is they seem very hit or miss.

I really hope Duke doesn't win. Sick of everything about them really, moreso than UK.

Duke has the elite Freshman and mix of good upperclassmen. Grayson Allen and Amile Jefferson. If Duke loses more than 3 reguar season games next year I would be shocked.
With Duke going Greensboro and MSG in the NCAAT next year I think they are going to be in AZ next year.
Duke has 4 of the top 23 prospects in next year's NBA draft according to experts.

Duke is going to destroy most teams next year they are loaded

who does he have 3-6?

who does he have 3-6?

Louisville
Virginia
Miami
Pitt

Not sold on Pitt being that high with Stallings, but they do bring most of their team left. He has NC State 11th. If they get Yurtseven cleared, that will change.

Louisville
Virginia
Miami
Pitt

Not sold on Pitt being that high with Stallings, but they do bring most of their team left. He has NC State 11th. If they get Yurtseven cleared, that will change.
We will finish higher than at least two of those teams. Virginia is overvalued and if Onuaku doesn't come back L'vlle is overvalued as well. Miami will take a step back.
Top 5. We will finish top 5.

Edit: if anything, I'd worry about V.Tech as well - much moreso than Pitt and probably even moreso than Miami.

We will finish higher than at least two of those teams. Virginia is overvalued and if Onuaku doesn't come back L'vlle is overvalued as well. Miami will take a step back.
Top 5. We will finish top 5.

Edit: if anything, I'd worry about V.Tech as well - much moreso than Pitt and probably even moreso than Miami.

Maybe. Miami brings back Newton. They are set at PG and they add two five star wings.

I agree with Va Tech.

Louisville is still pretty deep with or without Onuaku.

You might be right, I just think were going to be playing a lot of 3 on 5 in the halfcourt next year.

Duke, North Carolina, Virginia have more talent we do right now.

Miami has a great recruiting class we could beat them at home though.
Louisville has a good roster an the sanctions could still come down on them but I like their offense more than ours right now.
Pitt will all depend on how that roster responds to Stallings.

I think Notre Dame and Virginia Tech are underrated. Virginia Tech under Buzz should be making their move this year in their 3rd year in his system with better players.

We are an NCAAT team but people don't realize how easy teams will defend us next year. Our half court offense is going to be garbage unless Battle/Gillon are special.

Miami brings back Newton. They are set at PG and they add two five star wings.
I wasn't too impressed with Newton this year TBH... we'll see how good their freshmen are, I'll take my chances with with our two freshmen :)

edit: also, just looking now at their roster, they're really going to miss Mclellan/Rodriguez/Jakiri

Last edited:
What annoys me when it comes to Duke, honestly everything annoys me about them, is everyone makes excuses for them when they only have 7 or 8 players. But aren't ALL there players McDonalds All Americans? So they should still be elite no matter what. The media just makes so many excuses for them.

I think thats pretty accurate, if Malachi came back I would have put us 2nd or 3rd.

What annoys me when it comes to Duke, honestly everything annoys me about them, is everyone makes excuses for them when they only have 7 or 8 players. But aren't ALL there players McDonalds All Americans? So they should still be elite no matter what. The media just makes so many excuses for them.

I know people hate Duke, but they just won a nc two years ago playing 7 guys, and last year with their worst team in recent memory, made it to the sweet 16.

I know people hate Duke, but they just won a nc two years ago playing 7 guys, and last year with their worst team in recent memory, made it to the sweet 16.

I think his point is, if Duke doesn't win next year, their season should be considered a failure, much like it was when they had Parker and lost in the first round. Wasn't it a failure when UK lost to Wisconsin in 2015?

Let's not forget they had two freshmen ranked higher than ours, that couldn't even walk and chew gum when they played.

I think his point is, if Duke doesn't win next year, their season should be considered a failure, much like it was when they had Parker and lost in the first round. Wasn't it a failure when UK lost to Wisconsin in 2015?

Let's not forget they had two freshmen ranked higher than ours, that couldn't even walk and chew gum when they played.

Its really hard to win a title, as we all know here, so many things have to go with. Coach K has 5 rings, if they lose in the final four next year, Im not going to kill him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom