Looking for some feedback - constructive criticism | Syracusefan.com

Looking for some feedback - constructive criticism

Nice job. I don't have much to add, since this is the first soccer recruiting video I have ever watched. Except for the distance (which I know you can't do anything about), looks good. Good luck. As I know nothing about soccer, is he D1 material? I mean, he looks it to me, but as I said, I know nothing. Send it to the Syracuse coaches?

needs more AC/DC.

drop this as the background soundtrack...

Nice job. I don't have much to add, since this is the first soccer recruiting video I have ever watched. Except for the distance (which I know you can't do anything about), looks good. Good luck. As I know nothing about soccer, is he D1 material? I mean, he looks it to me, but as I said, I know nothing. Send it to the Syracuse coaches?
Thanks for the input. He works out with SU goalie coach, Andrew Coughlin who likes him a lot and tells he is a definite D-1 talent. Compares him to Alex Bono (athletically and size wise) with whom he played High School, Academy and at SU. SU is not really looking for a 2019, at that time.
We are definitely looking for D-1. Where remains to be seen.

Thanks for the input. He works out with SU goalie coach, Andrew Coughlin who likes him a lot and tells he is a definite D-1 talent. Compares him to Alex Bono (athletically and size wise) with whom he played High School, Academy and at SU. SU is not really looking for a 2019, at that time.
We are definitely looking for D-1. Where remains to be seen.
Good luck. Keep us posted.

No UConn or Penn St. ;)

Have been told...NO MUSIC... but thanks
Interesting.

I guess it makes sense nowadays, coaches know what they’re looking for.

I remember back in the 80’s when friends of mine were putting together ‘tapes’ for colleges for whatever sport they wanted, it was all like a Rocky training montage with like music.

Regardless, Good Luck!!

Some if you asked for updates on my son. He just got a written evaluation at an ID camp. Here it is.

Performance Reports From College Coaches
Evaluated at EXACT Soccer Camp: Mid-Atlantic II Boys Multi College ID Camp on 2017-11-26 by Coach Scott Krotee of St. Joseph's University

Skillset Overview (Rating: 100 Point Scale)

Technical Abilities - 92
High Balls - Great agility and vertical when defending high balls. Makes the goal smaller for attacking players.
Diving - Good technique and strength on diving plays. Covers good distance and gets extended reach.
Tactical Abilities - 92
Communication - Great communicator; organizes and directs teammates well and communicates frequently.
Speed Of Thought - Has good ideas and tries to play fast. This will only help future growth.
Physical Abilities - 95
Explosiveness - Great quickness and explosiveness, especially in the first step or two.
Strength - Did a good job handling challenges and played well shoulder-to-shoulder.
Mental Abilities - 92
Confidence - Great confidence, didn’t shy away when challenged at camp and played with a sense of urgency.
Passion For The Game - Brings energy to every session that was contagious. Great approach to the game!
Coach 's Comments
Nolan was a pleasure to work with and has a passion for the game. He is a physically superior goalkeeper who is ready to play at the next level. He has all the tools: technically, tactically, and physically to be a top prospect of the 2019 class. Nolan would be a good addition to any program and has a bright career ahead of him.

Here is the coach's bio.

- Saint Joseph's University - Official Athletic Site

Are you still editing the video? There could be two differentiating items you could add in there.

1 - Any more clips of footskills? The ability to pass or build out of the back? Not many HS teams play the style, but if you have good examples, it probably couldn't hurt.

2 - A lot of college teams still rely on athleticism over skill and tactics moving forward. Even if you catch a lot of the B1G or ACC games, you'll see a race to the endline and whipped in crosses. The games can become about winning that one scramble in the box. I can only imagine that gets worse the lower level you get. Any highlights showing command of the box (there were a few in there off corners, I think?) would probably be a nice touch to add.

Good luck!

Congrats!
Are you still editing the video? There could be two differentiating items you could add in there.

1 - Any more clips of footskills? The ability to pass or build out of the back? Not many HS teams play the style, but if you have good examples, it probably couldn't hurt.

2 - A lot of college teams still rely on athleticism over skill and tactics moving forward. Even if you catch a lot of the B1G or ACC games, you'll see a race to the endline and whipped in crosses. The games can become about winning that one scramble in the box. I can only imagine that gets worse the lower level you get. Any highlights showing command of the box (there were a few in there off corners, I think?) would probably be a nice touch to add.

Good luck!
All great points and insights.
Our HS coach is a kick it long guy, so not much dribbling in game situations.
All of the crosses I have on tape, I included. Physicality in the box is really his calling card, along with good distribution.
He loves a good physical (clean) play which leaves the other team thinking twice about coming in close.

Update:. Just secured an invite to camp at UNC. Unfortunately, he is committed to camp at UNC-Wilmington that weekend (one of his private coaches has a connection there), but we will get to the next one, hopefully.

UPDATE: For those of you who asked to be kept up to date, my son is at the Clemson ID camp this weekend. He made the All Star team.

Edit:. He is playing against the Tiger players who are working the camp. Very cool.

Last edited:
Congrats!

I don't know anything about soccer. Camp invites from the colleges coaches? Excellent. Those are the camps to go to. Not the meat market camps, where you are invited for their profit. If he's invited to college A's camp, and college B,C,D, etc. will be there? Contact all of those colleges before camp, to introduce himself. You want your son on the list of players they are there to evaluate. If they're not looking at him, they may not see him. Make sure he's seen. Even if they don't respond, get to camp early, and introduce himself. They may already know who he is.

It is up to your son to make the contacts. They can't call him, but he can call them. Twitter is a must. Doesn't fall into the can't call/email NCAA rules. (nor does instagram, facetime, etc..)

The evaluation was nice. Does it carry any weight to a D1 coach? Send it, either way. It's OK to send an email, but if its a mass mailed one, most won't even open it. Personal email. They can't respond, depending on grade/period. Tweet them. Call them. Pin it on his twitter.

Follow/reach out the recruiter for his area, for his target schools. Don't limit yourself to D1. They decide if he's D1, not you. Don't big time anyone.

There are national scouts for football, that grade/rate players like the evaluation your son received. Is there a national version of this for soccer? Find out.

The vid. For football, it's best plays first, no wasted time. You may only have the coaches attention for 15-30 seconds. On the first clip, there are 5 wasted seconds, at the beginning of the clip. Dunno how soccer clips work, but the dribble up, before he kicks it up, may be unnecessary? Start- Kick up in air- Shot - Save - BOOM... next. (nice save, BTW) Now you have their attention. Prolly just splitting hairs, but you really have minimal time to catch their eye. They could watch 100 of these a day. Value their time. Introduction? You care about him. For now, they only care if he can play soccer. Introduce himself, when they tweet him to call.

Let your son do the talking. It's his recruitment. Not yours.

Best of Luck!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom