Looks like Louisville is going to hire Bobby Petrino | Syracusefan.com

Looks like Louisville is going to hire Bobby Petrino

Alsacs

Living Legend
I was listening on the radio to 610 WFNZ in Charlotte and I guess Bobby Petrino is the guy that Tom Jurich is going to hire. I am surprised that they are doing it, but it makes sense if this guy can deliver the goods.

Not surprising really. They need to prove themselves quickly in the ACC and BP is a quick fix, imho. Might cause longer term damage, but for now, he's the best option particularly since supposedly Chad Morris and another highly thought of coordinator whose name escapes me were lukewarm about the job.

Cheers,
Neil

I was listening on the radio to 610 WFNZ in Charlotte and I guess Bobby Petrino is the guy that Tom Jurich is going to hire. I am surprised that they are doing it, but it makes sense if this guy can deliver the goods.
Should make for some interesting signs in the stands when they go on the road.

Not surprising? Seeing how things ended, Tom Jurich may hire Petrino just to fire him.

Brett McMurphy @McMurphyESPN
Bobby Petrino interviewed w/UL AD Tom Jurich Tuesday; is among 3 finalists for job source told @ESPN

Louisville has called a Thursday morning athletic board meeting where it is believed the new hire will be approved.

Last edited:
The Guy Is A Great Coach.

I Wonder If He Will Remain Committed To Louisville This Time After Screwing The School A Few Years ago.

This is from the Onion, right? Right??? I find this headline funny as h*ll, so it should be.

Petrino will use them again. He has gotten a bcs school to sponsor him again and off to Florida when they become desperate. He wants into the SEC and coach against the big name big$$$$$ coaches and schools.

Academics will take a big hit again.

Did you hear he's going yo ride his Harley into the press conference announcing his hire at UL? Lol

He will do a solid job for them...feel bad for the folks at Western KY who he used for a year

Louisville should hire him in a second and, I believe, will. He is a great coach and has proven he can succeed at Louisville. He took that team from a nobody sub-.500 team to #5 in the nation in a couple years. Kragthorpe was a good coach before he got there, but couldn't succeed there. Bobby was so good he got an NFL head coaching job so he left his college team. I don't care if he said Louisville was his dream job, you can't fault him for going to the pros. Sound familiar? He left the pros partway through his first year because his team sucked, which was precipitated by losing his all-pro QB Michael Vick due to his arrest, and his coaching wasn't helping. In leaving, he left $5 million per year for 5 years on the table. Would it have been better to stick it out for the paycheck with sub-.500 records? I think most fans of a team would be thankful for a coach stepping down, even mid-season, when he wasn't getting it done. He certainly could have handled his exit better than leaving a note for his players, but that isn't worth passing a great coach over. He then went to Arkansas and took that team from mediocrity and a sub.500 record to a 10 win season and then a top 5 ranking within a couple years. After getting fired, he spent the last year at Western Kentucky and lead them to 8-4 making only $850,000/year. Nothing wrong with leaving that job for a better job at Louisville and that happens every day.

He got fired due to having an affair, for not telling anyone that Dorrel was on his bike at the time of the accident, for giving Dorrel a $20,000 cash gift, and for being on the hiring committee that hired her into the athletic department and not disclosing that fact to the rest of the committee.

He had an affair, nothing out of the ordinary there for a head football coach at a top program and I'm sure it happens often and certainly had no impact on his ability to coach or lead the program and, while morally reprehensible, is no reason to pass over a great coach.

He didn't originally reveal Dorrel was on his bike at the time of the accident, which again is morally reprehensible but doesn't affect his coaching ability.

He gave Dorrel a $20,000 gift and I've seen it described both as coming out of his pocket and coming from the Athletic Dept., which certainly could lead to a sexual harassment charge but obviously didn't given later events. How hot was she again? Bad judgment, but no reason not to hire him. Moreover, you can ensure it doesn't happen at Louisville by watching and approving his expenditures from Athletic Department funds.

He was on the hiring committee that hired Dorrel to be his assistant over arguably more qualified applicants and failed to disclose their relationship, which is a potential lawsuit every damn day, but that is again a mistake that you can make sure isn't repeated at Louisville by simply not letting him hire anyone other than football coaches.

He isn't the most morally bankrupt coach out there, I am sure. It is undisputed he is a great coach. He is probably the best available coach. He will in a few years lead Louisville to 2nd in the ACC right behind Syracuse. I'd hire him and put him on a tight leash.

Did you hear he's going yo ride his Harley into the press conference announcing his hire at UL? Lol

He will do a solid job for them...feel bad for the folks at Western KY who he used for a year

He improved the program and led them to an 8-4 record. He got paid $850,000/yr after making $5 million/yr in the NFL and almost $3 million/year at Arkansas. His buyout is $1.2 million, so they are making money on the deal. I'd say they got the benefit of the bargain.

Dude is a gypsy but a heck of a coach. I suppose if Louisville can get 3-5 years out of him they will be ahead but if he leaves in 2 or so, could set them back years.

Anywhere he goes (since Arkansas) will have a nice buyout figure... just like Strong did at UL. Someone with a track record for job-hopping (even mid-season) is going to be presented with some obstacles to try to keep him from jumping too soon. In addition to a buyout, the annual payments could be structured that he gets a significant chunk of his pay (25-33%) at the conclusion of the season (at least for the first 2-3 years) as well as incentives for reaching and coaching in a bowl game. While you can't treat all coaches like that, some people have earned that treatment. Petrino should appreciate this chance, if offered, though everyone knows that this won't be his last stop and won't keep him from looking for bigger gigs.

This should anchor and strengthen the Louisville program for the next year and 3/4s. What will be funny is how jilted Louisville will feel when he leaves them once again after they hired him away from a school where he stayed for all of one year. Petrino is a guy who is constantly looking for a better deal. (but then, so are 80% of the college coaches out there.)

This should anchor and strengthen the Louisville program for the next year and 3/4s. What will be funny is how jilted Louisville will feel when he leaves them once again after they hired him away from a school where he stayed for all of one year. Petrino is a guy who is constantly looking for a better deal. (but then, so are 80% of the college coaches out there.)

He was also looking for a better deal female wise, that boy certainly has a wondering eye no matter what commitment he makes.

Just google his name.

Is that the type of person you want to be the face of your program?

What is Jurich thinking?

He knows the program we ll being their head coach before.

Guy is kind of a scumbag but he can coach and recruit so why not take a shot.

Agreed with everything other than " kind of a scum bag" He's a scum bag, not denying that but he is a damn good coach that will win games. He will do the job that he is hired to do. It will be a renegade program once again but so be it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom