Looks like Louisville is going to hire Bobby Petrino | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Looks like Louisville is going to hire Bobby Petrino

Just google his name.

Is that the type of person you want to be the face of your program?

What is Jurich thinking?

Well I think it was the Arkansas effect. True story, when I lived in Little Rock there was this guy who would come into the local restaurants with his entourage accompanied by his mistress. No one seemed to think anything of it, even though the guy was a political figure. Y'all might have heard of him... Bill Clinton.

Just google his name.

Is that the type of person you want to be the face of your program?

What is Jurich thinking?

This is my favorite pic...

bobby-petrino-halloween-costume-1.jpg

There's no denying he's a great coach, but here's the question. Do you think you're a good enough athletic department to identify and attract a coach that can do the job as well without the negative press that will inevitably accompany hiring him? Are you willing to potentially look like the chump ex-boyfriend that takes back the girl that dumped you for another guy only to come back after he dumped her? Because that's how the media will paint it.

Seems as though he and Rick Pitino are cut from the same cloth. And they don't seem to mind that too much down there at Lou-ville. However, with his previous issues, he may have a slightly harder time recruiting kids coming from families with morals. I'm sure he hasn't forgotten how to coach football though.

Well I think it was the Arkansas effect. True story, when I lived in Little Rock there was this guy who would come into the local restaurants with his entourage accompanied by his mistress. No one seemed to think anything of it, even though the guy was a political figure. Y'all might have heard of him... Bill Clinton.

sooooo...what was your roll in all of that;)

Seems as though he and Rick Pitino are cut from the same cloth. And they don't seem to mind that too much down there at Lou-ville. However, with his previous issues, he may have a slightly harder time recruiting kids coming from families with morals. I'm sure he hasn't forgotten how to coach football though.

how will Jurich handle the fight between pitino and petrino when they get into a fist fight over a girl....plus petrino/pitino on who said what,who did what, and I misspoke about the last names and all I can tell ya was she was a blond

He knows the program we ll being their head coach before.

Guy is kind of a scumbag but he can coach and recruit so why not take a shot.
The question is can he recruit with all of that baggage as ammo for other recruiters?

The question is can he recruit with all of that baggage as ammo for other recruiters?

Worked for Rick Pitnio and he basically did the same thing as Petrino.

Sources: Bobby Petrino returning for second stint as Louisville's head coach

He famously interviewed behind Jurich's back for the Auburn job in 2003 – at first denying it, and then admitting that he met with officials from the school while it still was employing Tommy Tuberville. The next year, Petrino interviewed with LSU five days after accepting an extension and pronouncing his loyalty to Louisville. That December he also interviewed with Notre Dame and had conversations with Mississippi about its opening. And a few months after signing a lucrative new deal at Louisville in 2006, he left for the NFL's Atlanta Falcons.

When I heard it last night I felt bad for Louisville, but I wish them well as long as its not at Syracuse expense. I am shocked though that Jurich hired Petrino over Colorado State coach Jim McElwain, Michigan State defensive coordinator Pat Narduzzi, Clemson offensive coordinator Chad Morris. Those 3 would have been good hires, and Petrino better promise Jurich he won't leave Louisville for the SEC.

You say Petrino, and I say Pitino;
You say Pitino, and I say Petrino;
Petrino, Pitino, Petrino, Paterno,
Let's call the whole thing off.

Okay, everybody, sing along!

The fear of the unknown is SO powerful.

Jurich knows Petrino can win at UL.

He doesn't know that another coach with strong credentials and less baggage can win.

Fascinating.

He doesn't know that another coach with strong credentials and less baggage can win.

Fascinating.
He knows that petrino can win at UL... when UL is in the Big East. All bets are off now.

Fascinating.

"Better the devil you know than the devil you don't know"

He knows that petrino can win at UL... when UL is in the Big East. All bets are off now.

Eh. He went 41-9 there. He won BIG in the Big East. I think we saw from this year that aside from FSU and Clemson the ACC was not a particularly huge step up in competition from the Big East.

He also turned things around at Arkansas and won 10 and 11 games his last 2 years there. In the SEC.

He's pretty darn proven.

Fascinating.
It's not like they're going with a mediocre known quantity though.

Louisville should hire him in a second and, I believe, will. He is a great coach and has proven he can succeed at Louisville. He took that team from a nobody sub-.500 team to #5 in the nation in a couple years. Kragthorpe was a good coach before he got there, but couldn't succeed there. Bobby was so good he got an NFL head coaching job so he left his college team. I don't care if he said Louisville was his dream job, you can't fault him for going to the pros. Sound familiar? He left the pros partway through his first year because his team sucked, which was precipitated by losing his all-pro QB Michael Vick due to his arrest, and his coaching wasn't helping. In leaving, he left $5 million per year for 5 years on the table. Would it have been better to stick it out for the paycheck with sub-.500 records? I think most fans of a team would be thankful for a coach stepping down, even mid-season, when he wasn't getting it done. He certainly could have handled his exit better than leaving a note for his players, but that isn't worth passing a great coach over. He then went to Arkansas and took that team from mediocrity and a sub.500 record to a 10 win season and then a top 5 ranking within a couple years. After getting fired, he spent the last year at Western Kentucky and lead them to 8-4 making only $850,000/year. Nothing wrong with leaving that job for a better job at Louisville and that happens every day.

He got fired due to having an affair, for not telling anyone that Dorrel was on his bike at the time of the accident, for giving Dorrel a $20,000 cash gift, and for being on the hiring committee that hired her into the athletic department and not disclosing that fact to the rest of the committee.

He had an affair, nothing out of the ordinary there for a head football coach at a top program and I'm sure it happens often and certainly had no impact on his ability to coach or lead the program and, while morally reprehensible, is no reason to pass over a great coach.

He didn't originally reveal Dorrel was on his bike at the time of the accident, which again is morally reprehensible but doesn't affect his coaching ability.

He gave Dorrel a $20,000 gift and I've seen it described both as coming out of his pocket and coming from the Athletic Dept., which certainly could lead to a s e x ual harassment charge but obviously didn't given later events. How hot was she again? Bad judgment, but no reason not to hire him. Moreover, you can ensure it doesn't happen at Louisville by watching and approving his expenditures from Athletic Department funds.

He was on the hiring committee that hired Dorrel to be his assistant over arguably more qualified applicants and failed to disclose their relationship, which is a potential lawsuit every damn day, but that is again a mistake that you can make sure isn't repeated at Louisville by simply not letting him hire anyone other than football coaches.

He isn't the most morally bankrupt coach out there, I am sure. It is undisputed he is a great coach. He is probably the best available coach. He will in a few years lead Louisville to 2nd in the ACC right behind Syracuse. I'd hire him and put him on a tight leash.

Remind me to hire you as my lawyer, if i ever get arrested.

Sources: Bobby Petrino returning for second stint as Louisville's head coach

He famously interviewed behind Jurich's back for the Auburn job in 2003 – at first denying it, and then admitting that he met with officials from the school while it still was employing Tommy Tuberville. The next year, Petrino interviewed with LSU five days after accepting an extension and pronouncing his loyalty to Louisville. That December he also interviewed with Notre Dame and had conversations with Mississippi about its opening. And a few months after signing a lucrative new deal at Louisville in 2006, he left for the NFL's Atlanta Falcons.

Louisville has to have zero self-respect to bring this guy back after everything, including the above. I would not want my son anywhere near this guy.

Louisville has to have zero self-respect to bring this guy back after everything, including the above. I would not want my son anywhere near this guy.
and that's just the L'ville portion of his work history.

I was listening to Gottlieb today and he said-"Do you even bother running a background check on this guy"?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom