Lot's of talk...Bottom Line | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Lot's of talk...Bottom Line

I know JB has kinda lined everything up to have the best shot at it in Buddy's last year...I think it was by design...and now it is "go time"

I like many of the points you have made, particularly about our experience and how so many teams this year will not have a lot of it. But the point you made above is interesting to me, and others have made the same point. That is the idea that Boeheim “designed” this team. But I can’t see how. We lost a ton of players and it seems we randomly got some good transfers, particularly Swider. But Boeheim didn’t know these players were coming, did he? And we only had one freshman coming. So I am curious about your reasoning.
well, not sure exactly how much of this roster and its makeup is by choice and and how much is by the choice of the players who left.

But I watched the STORIED special on youtube (you should check it out!) and JB said that this year they got all that they needed in terms of what the current roster lacked...which rarely ever happens...so that right there made me very optimisitic to hear. that really struck me considering all the talent that left and how bad that seemed at the time to many observers...

not sure what the private convos with woody, kadary and QG and Griff were...but perhaps they were...you can come back but you wont be gauranteed minutes...maybe bc the coaches wanted the players that will be starting this year to be the starters...

I personally dont think griff, QG or woody would starters on this year's roster - I would start Kadary over JG3...but I think JG3 has improved and thats where this season will be decided, imo (i..e ceiling of the team)...they all wouldve been key players in the rotation - especially qg and woody...but I like where the forwards are compared to last year...

overall, it is unclear how much of this current roster shakeup is by design or out of necessity - one thing that made me think it is more by design was listening to jon bol ajok in the storied series - he said JB gave him a second chance to come back and he seemed truly grateful --- I think the roster moves have largely been by design...but thats just a feeling.

overall, there is only so much input the coaches have on who comes and doesnt - we have seen with this recruting cycle that now has 5 players that many were offered and even a few decommitted - so a lot of it is art and some science - maybe orchestrated is a better word than designed as it it isnt 100% in the hands of a coach other than maybe at duke or kentucky who will be on their team.

but at the end of the day they are still trying to make the team they want and I think this is the team JB wants - he left some schollies unfilled, no?

high expectations are the mother of disappointment - so im trying not to go overboard and just see what happens - but I am optimistic. for sure.

Last edited:
Defense. As always, it begins and ends with defense. We have shooters but i want a team that can make stops when it has to, that’s why i hated that Andrew White/John Dillon team. I hate winning 99-94 final score slugfests.
If the defense shows up, and I’m betting it will, then we’re looking at a VERY good season.

They do not have enough big men to play center. If Jesse and Frank get into foul trouble there's not much depth. This is exactly what is going to happen when the Orange play away games at Duke and UNC. Those local refs love to make calls in favor of the hometown crowd.
How often do BOTH centers get into foul trouble in the same game?????

How many college basketball teams in 2021 have more than two guys that their fanbase/coach would want playing center in a conference game?
not many - but all it takes is one - I remember Blake Griffin absolutely annihilating the Orange in an NCAA tourney game ---

I think the current centers are good enough to not let that type of thing happen this year...so Im not worried about that position at all actually - especially if (long shot) Sidibe actually plays this year.

How often do BOTH centers get into foul trouble in the same game?????
when they are undersize power forwards like Marek and inexperienced players like sidibe as a frosh who fouled every 2 minutes? every game ...but thats not a concern this year, imo...

jon bol can be the third emergency center anyway...not an issue, imo

My biggest concern is rebounding, especially on the defensive end. Jesse and Benny are going to be our best at this and one of the keys for the season is whether they are going to be able to play enough minutes to mask our relative lack of quickness and athleticism. Both are likely going to get in foul trouble and Benny might get blocked some by Cole and JBIII.

Like how unselfish the team has been to date. Like how well the ball has moved in half court settings. It will be interesting to see how things go when the level of competition ramps up. That is going to happen really early this season. Really early...
Totally agree. Rebounding is likely to be an issue all year, as it was last year.

I'm not currently worried at all about PG. It may have been exhibitions, but exhibitions are often characterized by sloppy and careless play. Still, Joe had 15 assists vs only 5 turnovers. As a team, we had 47 assists and only 25 turnovers. I'll take those numbers any day of the week.

Rather than worry about "showcasing their game" these guys look to showcase each other and that's a beautiful thing. Very unselfish and it speaks of better chemistry. We may not win all of our games but I have a feeling that this will be a more enjoyable team to watch.

I will respond to one comment made. I do believe Guerrier would e a starter again this year even considering who we have added. Rebounding seems to be a concern for many and Quincy was good in that regard.

A lot of concerns regarding PG and they could be justified. Haven't really heard anything about Symir's ball handling which I can't comment on since I haven't had a TV game yet. What are your thoughts?

With all the roster churn for Syracuse and basically everyone else, I think it is harder than ever to see what this season will bring.

But I think it is clear this will be a much better team offensively than last year.

I suspect the defense is also going to be a little better than last season. We really only had good Jesse at the end of the season. A center who is that big and athletic makes it a lot harder for teams to score inside on us. We have been giving up far too many points in the paint since Pascal left.

I think we will end up okay here.

My biggest concern is rebounding, especially on the defensive end. Jesse and Benny are going to be our best at this and one of the keys for the season is whether they are going to be able to play enough minutes to mask our relative lack of quickness and athleticism. Both are likely going to get in foul trouble and Benny might get blocked some by Cole and JBIII.

Like how unselfish the team has been to date. Like how well the ball has moved in half court settings. It will be interesting to see how things go when the level of competition ramps up. That is going to happen really early this season. Really early...
Agree with all of this, every single point (which likely means you are not very "smart," either). Rebounding will be a major issue. The flaws of the team will be exposed very early, but this will also give JB more time to adjust and adapt. I think Benny will eventually be part of the answer to the rebounding, lack of quickness/athleticism flaws, but those minutes likely won't come at the expense of Cole or Jimmy.

I think this team will be a much better "team" than last year's, even though that might not be reflected in the record. The tone of the board by mid-December could be...interesting.

We have been a terrible defensive rebounding team since 1996. Every year since then we have given up offensive rebounds between 30% and 40% of our defensive possessions. That will never change. Need to make up for it by forcing turnovers and being good on the offensive glass.

Last edited:
our moving without the ball in half court sets has been minimal.

The very high number of assists per baskets says the exact opposite.

I will respond to one comment made. I do believe Guerrier would e a starter again this year even considering who we have added. Rebounding seems to be a concern for many and Quincy was good in that regard.

A lot of concerns regarding PG and they could be justified. Haven't really heard anything about Symir's ball handling which I can't comment on since I haven't had a TV game yet. What are your thoughts?
JB usually sticks with the incumbent, especially as a junior or senior...He likely wouldve started QG and Swider...

But Im not sure that QG would actually be one of the two best forwards on the roster if he was here. He really faded last year (rumored injuries to blame) but he was pretty invisible in the NCAA tourney.

I like this year's forwards better than last - but that could obviously change once we see this team vs real comp.

Style-wise - I dont think QG fits how this team will play. You have forwards like Swider and Jimmy who can shoot from deep and create...and benny is a great passer and can drive...rebounding wise QG wouldve been the best...but not in the other areas.

it would be great If QG was still on the team but I wouldnt want him getting more than 30 mins like a starter normally would. I hope thats the reason he left, actually.

Last edited:
Let’s see when we play against competition.

Oh, you said has been minimal. That would indicate the exhibitions we played.

Love everyone's posts and visit the site everyday to gain further insight into the Cuse community. Avid, 30 yr Cuse basketball fan here.

Bottom line:

The current team is the best shooting lineup we've had in yrs (per Boeheim). It will probably be the best shooting team (on paper) we've had ever. With that said, we will score and compete against any team we face. This is also the most experienced team we've had in years and with the way things are going, it will be the most veteran filled roster we will perhaps ever had. With that in mind expectations are high and a national championship should be our goal.

Defense: We finally have 2-3 guys in the middle that can protect the rim and a solid group of individuals that know how to play the zone effectively. We don't have the most athletic group ...but again, it is a seasoned squad that knows how to execute Boeheim's defensive strategy.

In my opinion this is a perfect storm of seniority, shooting and talent ...bottom line, we should enjoy the ride because this team's makeup is very, very unique. We are primed for a national championship run.

Good post! Keep 'em coming!
This could be a heck of a team, that's for sure.

For me, the key is going to be health. If everybody stays reasonably healthy, this team could win a lot of games.

Personally, I think he has work to do. He has the athleticism to bring something different to our offense.

But I'm not convinced he can effectively run the break yet. He needs a lot more practice in how we do it.

They do not have enough big men to play center. If Jesse and Frank get into foul trouble there's not much depth. This is exactly what is going to happen when the Orange play away games at Duke and UNC. Those local refs love to make calls in favor of the hometown crowd.
I mean we had Marek last year and that’s it

We need to see more out of Jimmy but I don't think its far-fetched for him to take on that responsibility like Marek did.

We are on the same page with what you added haha I was going to say its not impossible that Benny is an Eli-light in that sense this year and much more next season.

Buddy looks to be the more likely candidate after tonight. He was really looking for his teammates especially in the second half. He's added a new wrinkle to his game every year.

Last part I’m not sure about. We should be ranked but a lot of teams returned key pieces and there are 15-20 very good ones. Who knows how the NCAA tournament goes.

We will have our first good regular season since the Ennis year tho and that’s been overdue and desperately needed.

I’m thrilled...we looked great. i thought everyone played their part. And unlike past years, we creamed a bad team (picked 6th in the patriot) so theres a lot of positives.

my only quibble is something I’m seeing a lot. “If we make shots, we can beat anyone”.

good teams don’t let you take open shots. We saw Buddy make shots for weeks, then we played Houston. Buddy wasn’t getting open looks...was less about making shots and more about not being able to create shots.

i think that’s still a question we need answered and we’ll get our chance very soon.

Last part I’m not sure about. We should be ranked but a lot of teams returned key pieces and there are 15-20 very good ones. Who knows how the NCAA tournament goes.

We will have our first good regular season since the Ennis year tho and that’s been overdue and desperately needed.

The one big intangible that this team has going for it is experience. Lot of games played on that starting 5. Not the most talented 5 but they've had everything thrown at them by this point. That's gotta be good for at least a couple of close wins.

I’m thrilled...we looked great. i thought everyone played their part. And unlike past years, we creamed a bad team (picked 6th in the patriot) so theres a lot of positives.

my only quibble is something I’m seeing a lot. “If we make shots, we can beat anyone”.

good teams don’t let you take open shots. We saw Buddy make shots for weeks, then we played Houston. Buddy wasn’t getting open looks...was less about making shots and more about not being able to create shots.

i think that’s still a question we need answered and we’ll get our chance very soon.
Four deep shooters now. Best balance in years. Defenses would be smart not to double.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom