Louisville / Kansas / LSU / Arizona / Auburn / NC State / Memphis / Other NCAA Violations | Page 21 | Syracusefan.com

Louisville / Kansas / LSU / Arizona / Auburn / NC State / Memphis / Other NCAA Violations

Just another nail in the coffin. The NCAA is toothless now. It’s a shame we went through what we did when we did.
Absolutely criminal how they treated JB and went off on SU for petty stuff ... when they knew benefits rules were going to be relaxed and violations were already widespread at factories the NCAA had deemed untouchable.

Penalties
The Independent Resolution Panel concluded that this case involves Level I, II and III violations of NCAA legislation. Based on its assessment, the Independent Resolution Panel classifies this case as Level IMitigated for NC State, Level I-Mitigated for the former head men’s basketball coach and Level IAggravated for the former assistant men’s basketball coach. The Independent Resolution Panel used the Division I membership-approved 2020-21 penalty guidelines to prescribe the following penalties:

1. Core penalties
a. NC State
● A $5,000 fine (self-imposed), plus 0.5% of its 2021-22 men’s basketball budget.
● A reduction in the total number of men’s basketball scholarships for the incoming
class of the 2021-22 academic year by one, from the permissible total of 13, or if
a scholarship becomes available prior to the 2021-22 academic year (selfimposed).
● For the 2022-23 academic year or the first available opportunity, a reduction in the
total number of grant-in-aid awards by one men’s basketball scholarship.
● A reduction in the number of official visits in men’s basketball by one during the
2019-20 and 2020-21 academic years (self-imposed).
● A ban on unofficial visits in men’s basketball during a two-week period during the
2019-20 academic year (self-imposed).
● A four-week recruiting communication (telephone and written correspondence)
ban in men’s basketball for the 2021-22 academic year.
● An eight-day reduction in the number of recruiting person days in men’s basketball
for the 2021-22 academic year including the summer.
● One-year probation.

b. Former Head Coach
A one-year show-cause order.

c. Former Assistant Coach
A six-year show-cause order.

2. Additional Penalties:
a. Public reprimand and censure.
b. Vacation of records in the men’s basketball program in which an ineligible student-athlete participated.

Penalties
The Independent Resolution Panel concluded that this case involves Level I, II and III violations of NCAA legislation. Based on its assessment, the Independent Resolution Panel classifies this case as Level IMitigated for NC State, Level I-Mitigated for the former head men’s basketball coach and Level IAggravated for the former assistant men’s basketball coach. The Independent Resolution Panel used the Division I membership-approved 2020-21 penalty guidelines to prescribe the following penalties:

1. Core penalties
a. NC State
● A $5,000 fine (self-imposed), plus 0.5% of its 2021-22 men’s basketball budget.
● A reduction in the total number of men’s basketball scholarships for the incoming
class of the 2021-22 academic year by one, from the permissible total of 13, or if
a scholarship becomes available prior to the 2021-22 academic year (selfimposed).
● For the 2022-23 academic year or the first available opportunity, a reduction in the
total number of grant-in-aid awards by one men’s basketball scholarship.
● A reduction in the number of official visits in men’s basketball by one during the
2019-20 and 2020-21 academic years (self-imposed).
● A ban on unofficial visits in men’s basketball during a two-week period during the
2019-20 academic year (self-imposed).
● A four-week recruiting communication (telephone and written correspondence)
ban in men’s basketball for the 2021-22 academic year.
● An eight-day reduction in the number of recruiting person days in men’s basketball
for the 2021-22 academic year including the summer.
● One-year probation.

b. Former Head Coach
A one-year show-cause order.

c. Former Assistant Coach
A six-year show-cause order.

2. Additional Penalties:
a. Public reprimand and censure.
b. Vacation of records in the men’s basketball program in which an ineligible student-athlete participated.
All these so-called sanctions are turning out be BS, as predicted.
They have folks on tape in some of these cases, and we have yet to see anything of significance in terms of punishment. We messed up by self-reporting and trying to be boy scouts. Pathetic display by the fading dinosaur that is the ncaa.

All these so-called sanctions are turning out be BS, as predicted.
They have folks on tape in some of these cases, and we have yet to see anything of significance in terms of punishment. We messed up by self-reporting and trying to be boy scouts. Pathetic display by the fading dinosaur that is the ncaa.
C'mon - that "public reprimand and censure" is gonna really hurt their feelings...

Let's see, SU got 5 years probation, a post-season ban (self-imposed, probably wouldn't have made the NCAA's anyway), loss of 2 scholarships for four years (ultimately reduced from 8 to 5 upon appeal, based on credit for 3 unused scholarships), restrictions on recruiting staff for two years, a 9-game suspension of the head coach (for the same L-1 'failure to monitor') and vacature of more than 100 wins ... all for + marijuana tests (which aren't even reported at most SEC or B1G schools), a few thousand dollars in YMCA referee pay and a footnote added by a grad assistant to the test of a player who spoke Portuguese. These were violations. But once again, for far worse violations - including a $40,000 bag delivered to a recruit by an AC - NC-State got 1 year probation for the head coach, no head-coach suspension, no post-season ban, vacature of an unspecified number of wins (depending on how they finesse that), reduction of scholarships by 1 each for this year and next year, and a 2 week staff restriction. If this isn't a hideous double standard in the penalty process, I'm not sure what one looks like (although we all know how the NCAA rolls).

Last edited:
I think we underestimate SU’s infractions. There was academic fraud, non discipline for failed drug testing (not even following your own drug protocol) and illegal payments to students. No matter what you think of the severity of these infractions, they were against NCAA rules. It was also the second offense for the same coach. Would we get the same penalties today? I’m not sure, but to act like nothing happened is burying your head in the sand.

There we’re several other minor infractions involving Mike Hopkins too.

I think we underestimate SU’s infractions. There was academic fraud, non discipline for failed drug testing (not even following your own drug protocol) and illegal payments to students. No matter what you think of the severity of these infractions, they were against NCAA rules. It was also the second offense for the same coach. Would we get the same penalties today? I’m not sure, but to act like nothing happened is burying your head in the sand.

There we’re several other minor infractions involving Mike Hopkins too.
I have yet to see anyone claim we shouldn't have gotten something or that the infractions weren't valid. But compared to what we saw at UNC, Louisville, and what's coming down the pipe at KU, our misgivings were not in the same stratosphere.
We got hammered...BAD, and all I see are peer schools who did much worse skating along w/ little repercussions. Yes, we should have gotten something- but what we did get was overkill, IMO.

I have yet to see anyone claim we shouldn't have gotten something or that the infractions weren't valid. But compared to what we saw at UNC, Louisville, and what's coming down the pipe at KU, our misgivings were not in the same stratosphere.
We got hammered...BAD, and all I see are peer schools who did much worse skating along w/ little repercussions. Yes, we should have gotten something- but what we did get was overkill, IMO.
Bad timing and bad strategy hurt SU. Same allegations levied today would result in less severe penalty.

But Duke offered Zion nothing! He went there out of the kindness of his heart. I think he used all the money to eat himself out of the NBA.

But Duke completed an internal investigation and found no evidence of wrongdoing. What else do you need?!?!?!?

God bless america.

Last edited:
Bad timing and bad strategy hurt SU. Same allegations levied today would result in less severe penalty.
We were punished because HCJB spoke the truth way too many times on the dysfunctional NCAA and not for what amounted to minor transgressions when you look at what went on PED U, NC, Miami, Kansas, Kentucky and so many favored program!

The NCAA is way past dysfunctionAl!!!

HCJB deserves to have those vacated wins returned!

With The NCAA, you get punished unless yo are a major league cheater!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom