Louisville - What I’m Hoping to See | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Louisville - What I’m Hoping to See

Team autograph session 45 minutes before kickoff? Shouldn’t the players be going through warmups instead?

They must be using the script from Rocky III.

Women's Rowing, Ice Hockey, and Women's Soccer autographs

I expect a competitive game where we WIN. The last two years have been complete blowouts and not good at all.

I hope the Louisville football team is taking us as lightly as their fan base is: Let's talk Syracuse
That’s cute but we would be saying the same if the roles were reversed

Women's Rowers, Hockey players and Soccer players.

If you're asking who would want an autograph from a female student athlete ... you'd be surprised how many little girls (and boys) who would stand in line.
I'd stand in line for any Syracuse sports team. Women's Field Hockey and Men's X-Country were our last two national championships. This year it's football... Go Orange.

I’m coming into the season with fairly high expectations. I’m excited about the coaching hires on the offensive side of the ball because I believe that these hires will result in a higher level of professionalism and efficiency. I expect to see better clock management, better and more strategic use of time outs, and many fewer 3rd and longs.

On the defensive side, I am hopeful that the young line will be up to the task, and that they will develop game by game. I believe the back 7 will be solid and the depth that the team has built will keep them competing at a high level well into November.

Now, regarding the Louisville game a week from now, I expect to see:
  • A diversified and unpredictable offense keyed on (and decoyed off) the talents of Mr. Sean Tucker.
  • An offensive line that can block for the run game, but also create and hold a pocket
  • GS completing 60% + of his pass attempts
  • Very few 3rd and >8 yards
  • At least some recognition that the middle of the field exists in the passing game
  • On D, I hope to see at least 1 turnover
  • Consistent pressure on Mr. Cunningham which results in some non damaging scrambles
  • LB’s doing what they do
  • I also want to see our Groza kicker come back to life, and a much improved punting game.
Really excited to get back to the dome - LGO!
This whole season, including this game will come down to two things:
1-Injuries, if we stay solidly healthy to our front line players we will be solid. We lack depth particularly at critical positions
2-Stopping the run , I'm afraid we are so light and lack any kind of depth on the interior line we may struggle with teams who just want to line up 5-6 big linemen with a big fullback or TE and line up 7-8 big players and just put a hat on a hat and wear us down. Our only 2 quality interior linemen are 265-270 with no 280-290 interior DL. Then we'll have to bring too many players and be susceptible to the play action.
If we can limit early downs to 2-3 yard plays we are fine, if not we'll struggle all year.

This whole season, including this game will come down to two things:
1-Injuries, if we stay solidly healthy to our front line players we will be solid. We lack depth particularly at critical positions
2-Stopping the run , I'm afraid we are so light and lack any kind of depth on the interior line we may struggle with teams who just want to line up 5-6 big linemen with a big fullback or TE and line up 7-8 big players and just put a hat on a hat and wear us down. Our only 2 quality interior linemen are 265-270 with no 280-290 interior DL. Then we'll have to bring too many players and be susceptible to the play action.
If we can limit early downs to 2-3 yard plays we are fine, if not we'll struggle all year.

Most of the teams we'll play seem to stress the pass over the run.

Last edited:
OK problem solved. They'll just ignore the fact they can easily run against us and just pass.
They'll just never figure that one out.
It’s not just choosing to run. It’s having the scheme, personnel to do so vs a team with maybe the best LB corp in the ACC. Given our strengths and weaknesses they will try to attack us that way. Of which, I’m sure we’re aware.

I don't even think we should have to throw the ball all that much to beat Louisville.
I think there is a direct correlation with the number of times we throw on Saturday and our chances of winning. Fewer passes = we are successfully moving the chains via our ground game and controlling the clock. I don't want to have to play catch-up.

I think there is a direct correlation with the number of times we throw on Saturday and our chances of winning. Fewer passes = we are successfully moving the chains via our ground game and controlling the clock. I don't want to have to play catch-up.

Last year really was worst case scenario. I can see Louisville coming out and trying to do that again. Establish the run on the first drive, and then throw over the top of our CBs peeking into the backfield.

I really hope we take the ball and can march for a TD. It will mean so much to our team, who hasn't scored a TD on them the last two years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom