Love Battle, but | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Love Battle, but

To me, the question is "can I improve my draft position?" That's the only reason to come back.

Battle isn't even listed in some second round mock drafts I've seen, and I think the kid is better than that. Put him on a loaded team next year, and he can't help but have more assists, shoot a better percentage because he won't have to force so many shots and he would be able to trust he teammates more, that he wasn't the only guy who could win a game.

Seldom happens, but this kid should be picked in the first round, and if he isn't showing up, in part, it's because our team is not good this year, by our usual standards, and the other part, of course, are the flaws in his game (form on jump shot, few assists, should rebound better, work on his left hand dribble).

I will keep saying it; kids on winning teams are rated higher because their teams win more. That's how players are evaluated in AAU, that's how they're evaluated in college - do they make plays that win games?

Battle does that, to an extent, but his game could be so much better. If he's not going to get drafted, why not come back? What would he be leaving for, a free agent contract in the G League or to go play in Greece?

Could be any number of reasons. Maybe he's tired of going to class. Maybe he just wants to get paid anything to play basketball. Maybe he got bad intel and he thinks he's a first rounder. Or maybe he was told he's not going to be a first rounder next year either, so why not go now? Maybe he hates playing for Boeheim. Etc

Could be any number of reasons. Maybe he's tired of going to class. Maybe he just wants to get paid anything to play basketball. Maybe he got bad intel and he thinks he's a first rounder. Or maybe he was told he's not going to be a first rounder next year either, so why not go now? Maybe he hates playing for Boeheim. Etc

That's an interesting thought... wonder if having someone always playing bad cop, not totally relate-able to players is causing more attrition than the lure of the NBA $$$. Former players always seem to love JB, but recently hearing quotes from players calling coach just "Boeheim" rubs me wrong. I just don't like the pattern of us being Kentucky light either, (in terms of NBA feeder school) but without any upside in recent regular seasons... Hopefully if/when we get back to winning more consistently that will help the culture.

That's an interesting thought... wonder if having someone always playing bad cop, not totally relate-able to players is causing more attrition than the lure of the NBA $$$. Former players always seem to love JB, but recently hearing quotes from players calling coach just "Boeheim" rubs me wrong. I just don't like the pattern of us being Kentucky light either, (in terms of NBA feeder school) but without any upside in recent regular seasons... Hopefully if/when we get back to winning more consistently that will help the culture.

Players calling him “Boeheim” is not a recent thing, as far as I know. Pretty sure I noticed that a long time ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom