Love Battle, but | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Love Battle, but

Question: who was more NBA READY when they left Syracuse regardless of how old they were:Chris McCollugh or Rak Christmas?

Which one has made the most money and had the longer NBA career?

How's none of the above in regards to NBA readiness, although as you've stated, there's no such thing. ;)

Neither has been of any relevance from a production standpoint, Chris has made more money lingering/wandering from team to team, but that's not the argument, since the NBA system enables the McCollough's of the world, etc. to take the money and run based upon potential. If that potential doesn't/never pans out or produces, no doubt they got some coin out of it (great for them as I stated earlier I'd do it too if I were in their shoes, who wouldn't) but in the realm of NBA lore, nothing more than an NBA footnote.

How's none of the above in regards to NBA readiness, although as you've stated, there's no such thing. ;)

Neither has been of any relevance from a production standpoint, Chris has made more money lingering/wandering from team to team, but that's not the argument, since the NBA system enables the McCollough's of the world, etc. to take the money and run based upon potential. If that potential doesn't/never pans out or produces, no doubt they got some coin out of it (great for them as I stated earlier I'd do it too if I were in their shoes, who wouldn't) but in the realm of NBA lore, nothing more than an NBA footnote.

The vast majority of players in the NBA will be a footnote regardless if they stay an extra year or not.

Percentage chances of finding a thread on Louisvilles board saying Donovan Mitchell isn't NBA ready from last year?

The vast majority of players in the NBA will be a footnote regardless if they stay an extra year or not.

Yeah this is the thing that gets me. There are only so many spots in the NBA. It's a fixed amount.

At this point I believe its fair to say Battle, Howard and Brissett have carried this team in ways that, before the season, we would not dream to reasonably expect.

Im ready to just flat out say they’re above criticism at this point. This is not a good Syracuse team and they’re playing much better than we could hope for.

This is a non top 50 true freshman near dominating the acc. Sure he needs to work on his finish but he’s averaging a double double and his double block on the fast break last night earned my undying respect.

A sophomore who makes up 50% of our offense by creating drives and space out of thin air.

And a junior guard who many pegged as potentially the worst syracuse guard of all time. He’s now putting up ALL ACC numbers.

I agree with all this. The two things I think hold him back in terms of draft stock though is:

1. He simply isn't shooting the 3 ball well.
2. He doesn't rebound, project to be an above average rebounder, or create for others very much.

A guy that's pretty much purely an inside scorer and nothing else just isn't super valuable in the NBA. He's a great college player and I'm not sure staying another year will really help him, but I don't think he'll be drafted very highly.

The only way that coming back helps him is if he improves his outside shooting, and his all-around game. That is possible, you know.

Just look at these schools in the Big 12 who have kids staying until their junior or senior year and then still ending up in the lottery. Buddy Hield was a senior when he was picked #6. Taurean Prince of Baylor stayed until his senior year and went #12. Thomas Robinson from Kansas stayed until his junior year and went #5.

There is precedent out there. Same is true of a lot of North Carolina kids. They seem to hang around longer and still get picked in the lottery.

Ok, where did I say consensus of the board?

You said nobody ever says that players are ready to go. I gave you three examples where almost everybody felt the player was right to go. There will always be outliers, but your blanket statement isn't really true, as far as SU fans go.

Percentage chances of finding a thread on Louisvilles board saying Donovan Mitchell isn't NBA ready from last year?

Probably true regarding the footnote comment, but with time, hindsight is 20/20. The larger debate wasn't this likelihood, but more along the lines of what the individual player is thinking when as you said, "he is ready when he's ready to leave." When these players are "ready to leave" they no way (in their minds) are thinking they're going to be a footnote, as the vast majority of them have been top dog relative to their hoops prowess up until that harsh reality check.

And yes, there's always an exception, relative to laws of thought. Did anyone truly think Kyle Lowry was a one and doner at Villanova? I sure didn't, and he, unlike many others, is All-Star caliber to boot.

Battle is a great college player, but IMO he is built for the wrong decade in the NBA. Don’t see how he succeeds unless his shot is totally rebuilt and he makes 3’s consistently.

You said nobody ever says that players are ready to go. I gave you three examples where almost everybody felt the player was right to go. There will always be outliers, but your blanket statement isn't really true, as far as SU fans go.

Can you pull the post where I said "nobody ever says that players are ready to go"?

Go ahead and quote it since it should be in the thread.

The only way that coming back helps him is if he improves his outside shooting, and his all-around game. That is possible, you know.

Just look at these schools in the Big 12 who have kids staying until their junior or senior year and then still ending up in the lottery. Buddy Hield was a senior when he was picked #6. Taurean Prince of Baylor stayed until his senior year and went #12. Thomas Robinson from Kansas stayed until his junior year and went #5.

There is precedent out there. Same is true of a lot of North Carolina kids. They seem to hang around longer and still get picked in the lottery.

It does happen, it is rare though. I'd also point out Prince and Robinson were both big guys, and Robinson didn't really get much of a chance to play his first 2 years.

Buddy Hield is pretty much the best case scenario though. It's fair to point it out.

There you go.

Wow...

"The same folks do this every year"
The same folks = some members of the board

"No one is "ready""
One = the players that leave early

Now let's put the sentences together:
Some members of the board do this every year. None of the players that leave early are "ready". Ever.

I accept your apologies

Battle is a great college player, but IMO he is built for the wrong decade in the NBA. Don’t see how he succeeds unless his shot is totally rebuilt and he makes 3’s consistently.
His game doesn’t translate to the NBA. He’s not even the best player on the team some nights. He gets shut down too often by terrible teams. People can justify his game all they want . He got exposed big time this year thats why his stock dropped big time.

Sure would be nice to keep a player like this for one year extra.

Probably won't happen but it really is infuriating to me when this happens with regularity.

Nature of college basketball, sure. But Battle isn't even going to be First Team All-ACC and he's going to leave early.

He might not even get 2nd team, to be honest. I understand it means next to nothing as Lydon didn't last year, but guards are different.

Sorry. Rant over. Just get really sick of it, is all.

He can't dribble - he's a gamer, competes, can finish around the rim and a very good FT shooter, decent jumper, but his handle is dreadful, and he isn't a good enough shooter to hide it. The play in the corner late in the game last night happens far too frequently with him.

Frank and Oshae should be thanking Battle. They ain't doubling Frank.

Blows my mind that people don't see what he has to overcome every game. I'd love to see what he could do on a better team.
Is that what made his stock drop Lmaooooooo. The tremendous defense played on Battle?

We're going to miss him when he's gone.
Tyus Battle's been a true iron man.
Hasn't always succeeded... but you carry a lot of weight when the team is on your shoulders.

I think Josh Hart from Villanova is a good example too. He entered the league as a well rounded player that was ready to contribute immediately, and he has played quite well for the Lakers.

I think people that take extreme stances either way on this one are doing it wrong. Every player’s situation is different.

I think Josh Hart from Villanova is a good example too. He entered the league as a well rounded player that was ready to contribute immediately, and he has played quite well for the Lakers.

I think people that take extreme stances either way on this one are doing it wrong. Every player’s situation is different.

To me, the question is "can I improve my draft position?" That's the only reason to come back.

Battle isn't even listed in some second round mock drafts I've seen, and I think the kid is better than that. Put him on a loaded team next year, and he can't help but have more assists, shoot a better percentage because he won't have to force so many shots and he would be able to trust he teammates more, that he wasn't the only guy who could win a game.

Seldom happens, but this kid should be picked in the first round, and if he isn't showing up, in part, it's because our team is not good this year, by our usual standards, and the other part, of course, are the flaws in his game (form on jump shot, few assists, should rebound better, work on his left hand dribble).

I will keep saying it; kids on winning teams are rated higher because their teams win more. That's how players are evaluated in AAU, that's how they're evaluated in college - do they make plays that win games?

Battle does that, to an extent, but his game could be so much better. If he's not going to get drafted, why not come back? What would he be leaving for, a free agent contract in the G League or to go play in Greece?

Would be an absolute shame if he never gets a taste of the tourney

He really hasn't tasted 'success' in his career yet... gotta hope that figures into his decision. I dunno and this has been brought up before but would be nice not to have to worry about the NBA for at least 1 off season. Especially if we go back to back NIT.

battle can get us close, but when we need that 1 big shot to get us over the hump he never makes it. or turns it over. or passes.

upload_2018-2-23_8-4-49.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom