Low-fare Frontier Airlines coming to Syracuse | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Low-fare Frontier Airlines coming to Syracuse

The E175 is perfect for a market like Syracuse. With approximately 76 seats it is right-sized for SYR. I think it is on the short list to lure nonstop flights to Texas from SYR.

I talked to Sen Schumer at the State Fair in late August. I asked him about the reduced service to JFK on Jet Blue and he said that was the downside of adding BOS. Two nonstops a day is too little to JFK for JetBlue. I have not flown Jet Blue several times due to horrible connect times.

The E175 is perfect for a market like Syracuse. With approximately 76 seats it is right-sized for SYR. I think it is on the short list to lure nonstop flights to Texas from SYR.

I talked to Sen Schumer at the State Fair in late August. I asked him about the reduced service to JFK on Jet Blue and he said that was the downside of adding BOS. Two nonstops a day is too little to JFK for JetBlue. I have not flown Jet Blue several times due to horrible connect times.

Yup, having to sit at Kennedy airport for 4 hours and basically write off a day of vacation is a total non-starter. It's too bad, because in general I prefer JetBlue.

EDIT - hold up, was that the day we saw you at the fair? Guess we should've tagged along with you guys!

I don’t know much about this but I wonder how much does success by syracuse athletics affect airlines coming to syracuse?

Yup, having to sit at Kennedy airport for 4 hours and basically write off a day of vacation is a total non-starter. It's too bad, because in general I prefer JetBlue.

EDIT - hold up, was that the day we saw you at the fair? Guess we should've tagged along with you guys!
Yup...I happened to be in the right place at the right time.

so just checked the slot pair timing for the new SYR-DEN route, and it leaves a lot to be desired. Seems to be geared strictly for direct travel to Denver and vice versa. The flight leaves DEN at 8:15AM, leaves Syracuse at 2:45PM. The flight to Denver does offer additional opportunities for connections, but and it's a big but, there are almost always better price/time options via ORD. If you are coming from anywhere but Denver inbound to Syracuse, well you are SOL. It is not possible to connect to the Denver flight to go to Syracuse as it leaves too early. Major bummer. Seems like a huge wasted opportunity. Perhaps tptb can get this fixed.

Passenger traffic soars at Syracuse airport

Traffic for the Syracuse airport is skyrocketing. It is getting very close to passing Rochester as the 2nd most busy airport in upstate NY (Buffalo dominates). Rochester gets about 2.4 million a year.

I know the last time I flew out of Syracuse, a significant number of the passengers were from the North Country or even Canada. With I81 and I90 running by it, Syracuse is well positioned to be a hub for upstate air traffic.

Passenger traffic soars at Syracuse airport

Traffic for the Syracuse airport is skyrocketing. It is getting very close to passing Rochester as the 2nd most busy airport in upstate NY (Buffalo dominates).

You must have an interesting definition of Upstate NY. ;) It is great though that these regional airports are upping their game by improving facilities and travel options.

You must have an interesting definition of Upstate NY. ;) It is great though that these regional airports are upping their game by improving facilities and travel options.
Yeah I think Albany is #2 in Upstate, not by much. Albany, Rochester and Syracuse are all pretty close. If Syracuse ever gets SWA they should move to #2. More Canadian travelers are flying through Syracuse than ever.

Last edited:
Yeah I think Albany is #2 in Upstate, not by much. Albany, Rochester and Syracuse are all pretty close. If Syracuse ever gets SWA they should move to #2. More Canadian travelers are flying through Syracuse than ever.

I dunno, looks like Albany had 1.4 million passengers in 2017 and Stewart only about half that. So unless Albany made a huge 2018 jump, maybe Hancock really is #3?

I dunno, looks like Albany had 1.4 million passengers in 2017 and Stewart only about half that. So unless Albany made a huge 2018 jump, maybe Hancock really is #3?
Yes, I don't think it is very close. We are #3 and getting very close to #2.

With those numbers, it should provide us with some leverage when trying to lure new air service. However, I am concerned with being satisfied with just getting new service and not managing flight times to utilize the routes more effectively. The Jetblue schedule to/from JFK is a joke, (apparently as a result of gaining the Boston route) and Like I mentioned above, the DEN route, with the flight times that are currently posted, will be very underutilized by non business travelers. This isn't a smart strategy, and could lead to less passenger engagement on those routes. If the airlines are not just looking at total passenger travel and parsing out specific flight metrics, to gauge whether a route would be successful, it could be a barrier that should be avoided.

That is only the enplanements. Syracuse provided both enplanements/deplanements for 2018 at 2.316 million for their announcement.

Albany would be around 2.8M and Rochester about 2.35 M for 2017 if they counted both. Enplanements (boarding) and Deplanements (Getting off the plane) are usually very close in number.

https://www.syrairport.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Traffic-Stats-01.19.pdf

List of airports in the United States - Wikipedia

Buffalo is #1 (gets a lot of Canadian traffic and way out in front), Albany is pretty safe at #2 (gov't traffic), Rochester at #3 (SW helped propel them past SYR), Syracuse at #4 (catching up with strong Allegiant numbers and building Frontier attracting travelers from 50+ miles) and White Plains at #5 (gaining as a niche play for Tri-State suburbanites).

Syracuse should be trying to get AA or UA to provide a a daily jet (probably a 70-90 pax jet) to Dallas and/or Houston. The parking garage is to be refurbished after a rental car facility is built. My biggest complaint is parking fees are higher than they should be ($7-8 a day long term is about right). Unfortunately the off site parking facility in S. Bay Rd shutdown last year so they have no competition.

SYR had a great 2018, if they get similar traffic increases they should pass ROC. ROC is making airport improvements too and is trying to gain market share too but BUF siphons off some traffic with more direct flights to more destinations.

Last edited:
That is only the enplanements. Syracuse provided both enplanements/deplanements for 2018 at 2.316 million for their announcement.

Albany would be around 2.8M and Rochester about 2.35 M for 2017 if they counted both. Enplanements (boarding) and Deplanements (Getting off the plane) are usually very close in number.

Buffalo is #1 (gets a lot of Canadian traffic and way out in front), Albany is pretty safe at #2 (gov't traffic), Rochester at #3 (SW helped propel them past SYR), Syracuse at #4 (catching up with strong Allegiant numbers and building Frontier attracting travelers from 50+ miles) and White Plains at #5 (gaining as a niche play for Tri-State suburbanites).

Syracuse should be trying to get AA or UA to provide a a daily jet (probably a 70-90 pax jet) to Dallas and/or Houston. The parking garage is to be refurbished after a rental car facility is built. My biggest complaint is parking fees are higher than they should be ($7-8 a day long term is about right). Unfortunately the off site parking facility in S. Bay Rd shutdown last year so they have no competition.

SYR had a great 2018, if they get siilar traffic increases they should pass ROC. ROC is making airport improvements too and is trying to gain market share too but BUF siphons off some traffic with more direct flights to more destinations.

Good catch, I didn't read carefully

...My biggest complaint is parking fees are higher than they should be ($7-8 a day long term is about right). Unfortunately the off site parking facility in S. Bay Rd shutdown last year so they have no competition.

SYR had a great 2018, if they get siilar traffic increases they should pass ROC. ROC is making airport improvements too and is trying to gain market share too but BUF siphons off some traffic with more direct flights to more destinations.

You fly more than I do - what's your impression here, how do parking fees compare to similar airports?

Good stuff. Apologize for my ignorance.

I think Syracuse is better positioned than Rochester to become a hub for upstate NY and beyond because of its location. Rochester is too far from I-81, too close to Buffalo and is blocked north by the lake. Kind of mystified how Rochester got Southwest and Syracuse did not.

I agree about the parking for the Syracuse airport. It is ridiculous. When you price it that high, people start getting rides and stop parking completely. That is what I do these days and a lot of my friends as well.

You fly more than I do - what's your impression here, how do parking fees compare to similar airports?
I can park indoors at Tampa in the Economy Garage for $10 a day. I take a people mover to the tram. The tram at the Economy Garage whisks me in about 3 minutes to the second floor of the terminal. It is really a no-brainer at TPA to just park at the economy garage with the tram running. This thing moves at about 40-45 mph...pretty impressive.

I know Rochester parking is cheaper. Plus they have a couple close by off site locations for less. Austin was around $8 for economy...it might be more now.

I can park indoors at Tampa in the Economy Garage for $10 a day. I take a people mover to the tram. The tram at the Economy Garage whisks me in about 3 minutes to the second floor of the terminal. It is really a no-brainer at TPA to just park at the economy garage with the tram running. This thing moves at about 40-45 mph...pretty impressive.

I know Rochester parking is cheaper. Plus they have a couple close by off site locations for less. Austin was around $8 for economy...it might be more now.

I've only flown Southwest into/out of Tampa, but man that airport is awesome.

I only care about their safety record. Most of the carriers suck nowadays anyways. Just get me there in one piece. I can deal with everything else for a couple hours.
There have been .00009 % of fatal airlines crashes in US in last x years.

There have been .00009 % of fatal airlines crashes in US in last x years.
Yup the last major USA crash was Colgon Air near Buffalo 10 years ago. Let's hope that continues.

Last edited:
I've only flown Southwest into/out of Tampa, but man that airport is awesome.
My favorite larger airport...so easy to get in and out.

BTW, they are making big improvements at the St Pete/Clearwater Airport too.

i still dont understand why upstate airports cant have a direct to dallas and/or houston hubs

i still dont understand why upstate airports cant have a direct to dallas and/or houston hubs
Each upstate city should have at least one flight a day to DFW and IAH. Use one of the smaller 70-90 passenger jets that have First Class and extra leg room price points.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom