Low-fare Frontier Airlines coming to Syracuse | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Low-fare Frontier Airlines coming to Syracuse

Each upstate city should have at least one flight a day to DFW and IAH. Use one of the smaller 70-90 passenger jets that have First Class and extra leg room price points.

Used to be a direct flight from Syracuse to DFW on American. I flew it several times for business. Then they cut it probably about 10 years ago?

Used to be a direct flight from Syracuse to DFW on American. I flew it several times for business. Then they cut it probably about 10 years ago?
Yup...it was cut during the recession. I flew it a few times too. The plane when I flew was full or nearly full. Although I think they were using the smaller 50 seat RJs as I remember.

Additionally, I have stopped using JetBlue to fly from Tampa to SYR. The layovers are really bad. When they cut service from 3 to 2 JFK flights a day it really screwed up their connection times in some cities (like Tampa).

which is crazy. Dallas has doubled in size since then.

Yup...it was cut during the recession. I flew it a few times too. The plane when I flew was full or nearly full. Although I think they were using the smaller 50 seat RJs as I remember.

Additionally, I have stopped using JetBlue to fly from Tampa to SYR. The layovers are really bad. When they cut service from 3 to 2 JFK flights a day it really screwed up their connection times in some cities (like Tampa).

Yea, I don't remember the size of the planes but they were generally full, especially the flight down.

Kind of mystified how Rochester got Southwest and Syracuse did not.

Only reason they got 'em was through the AirTran merger a handful of years ago. Wonder what the sticking point is with them and coming into the Syracuse Market... I also agree with the general consensus that Hancock needs a direct TX route - ideally with AA and United. Not only for Business, but it adds another use-able hub to connect through. Every time I see a new route open recently the planes fly near capacity, so not sure why it is so hard to lure new air service. High gate fees?

It cost more to fly from Vegas to Cuse than it does to fly fairbanks to Cuse.. that's crazzyyyy

(Not flying Alaska Air tho, which always costs more, but so worth it)

Was a great connection to Arizona. I miss it. Has easily been 10 years.

Just came across this thread. I wish Atlanta/Syracuse had a cheaper option, especially when flying a family of 4. We usually make the drive in the summer and at Christmas on the longer school breaks.

Just came across this thread. I wish Atlanta/Syracuse had a cheaper option, especially when flying a family of 4. We usually make the drive in the summer and at Christmas on the longer school breaks.

I think your main problem is just when you are looking to fly (summer shouldnt be too bad though). Even Southwest and Jetblue gouge Upstaters during those prime travel times. In fact, i know for that weird February break the schools have around Presidents' Day Upstate, Southwest excludes Albany and Rochester from its fare sales.

You may have a sweet spot end of May through June when the Southern schools are out but New York's are still plugging away.

I'd look into rewards cards through either Delta or that allow for transfers to Delta. Use those points to your advantage.

That is an incredible increase in traffic over a few years. Is the main driver the advent of the low cost airlines?
Yes, lower airfares have increased discretionary travel and also brought in new passengers from areas further away from Syracuse. The low fare airlines (Allegiant and Frontier) have also caused main line carriers to drop air fares in certain specific markets to compete.

Syracuse Airport traffic is up about 10% this year over 2017. The Bowling Tournament sure helped...it will be interesting to see if traffic stays up the 2nd half of the year with added flights from Allegiant and Frontier.

https://www.syrairport.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/2018-Total-Traffic.pdf

BTW, about half of the glass facade was installed the last time I was at the airport. Folks flying in for FB games to will start to notice a difference. The airport is starting to look modern and inviting. The parking garage is slated to get renovated and also it appears a rental car facility will be built next to the garage to free up the ground level in 2 years.

Hoping Southwest takes notice and brings in 3 flights a day to BWI and maybe 1 flight a day to Florida, Chicago Midway and Las Vegas/or Dallas Love.
Kudos to NYS for its transportation infrastructure modernization effort - not just downstate (LuGuardia, JFK for $13B), but upstate as well - major facelifts at Rochester, Buffalo/Niagara and Syracuse airports. The airlines have also invested. Great to see these new airline options.

Last edited:
Kudos to NYS for its transportation infrastructure modernization effort - not just downstate (LuGuardia, JFK for $13B), but upstate as well - major facelifts at Rochester, Buffalo/Niagara and Syracuse airports. The airlines have also invested. Great to see these new airline options.
The new options really helped a bunch of folks come to Florida for the Camping World Bowl. My understanding they added some extra flights to cover the game. Anyone confirm?

The new options really helped a bunch of folks come to Florida for the Camping World Bowl. My understanding they added some extra flights to cover the game. Anyone confirm?
I know they added at least one flight directly because of the game. Believe it was Allegiant.

Has anyone else curtailed using JetBlue?
Two flights a day to JFK makes it hard to get good connections to SYR.

I would give anything for a cheap direct flight from BWI to Syracuse. You can fly direct from BWI to Buffalo, Rochester and Albany, but for some reason not Syracuse.

I went on a great JetBlue direct flight from Buffalo to LA this past January. They offer it a few days a week and it’s packed, would be nice to have that option in Syracuse. Definitely the relatively short but popular destinations to BWI, ATL and even Dallas should be offered.

Would writing to Frontier and other airlines potentially have them add a route from jacksonville to Syracuse? there are quite a few CNY'ers here and i would love a direct flight or anything to make it easier to travel up there.

Would writing to Frontier and other airlines potentially have them add a route from jacksonville to Syracuse? there are quite a few CNY'ers here and i would love a direct flight or anything to make it easier to travel up there.
I think it is worth a try. They are already in Jacksonville and already have a flights between Jacksonville and Albany and Buffalo.

I went on a great JetBlue direct flight from Buffalo to LA this past January. They offer it a few days a week and it’s packed, would be nice to have that option in Syracuse. Definitely the relatively short but popular destinations to BWI, ATL and even Dallas should be offered.
I think a Friday and Sunday flight option to Long Island MacArthur would work for Frontier

Hancock seems a lot more focused on point to point gateways, rather than focusing on destinations that would help with connections or filling in gaps with the Major airlines' hub and spoke model. Syracuse will never get an LA or PHX or San Fran route, but I don't get why there isn't more focus on the above, which would help all types of travelers as well as have the ripple effect of driving down costs. win/win... JMHO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom