LSU - Texas A&M ... now in 5th OT | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

LSU - Texas A&M ... now in 5th OT

I think the SEC is the best conference in America, consistently good from year to year. I think in certain years, other conferences could challenge that, (such as the ACC two years ago when Clemson, Florida State and Louisville were all strong). But the other conferences cannot maintain that consistency. I think if SU played Alabama or Georgia the result would probably be similar to the Notre Dame game. I think there are several teams below that as good as SU. Some may be superior. But I would be afraid to play them. We could beat them.

I'd love to see an annual ACC-SEC challenge, a weekend in September where the 14 ACC teams would play the 14 SEC teams based on their ranking the previous year. I think the SEC would normally win it but it would be fun and I think the ACC would benefit from it in the long run.

The ACC-SEC challenge

I think the ACC would have won perhaps 4-5 of those games had it been played this year, (By this year's Sagarin Duke, UNC, Syracuse and Virginia would have won). But it would put the country's attention on the conference and by competing with the best, the ACC would get better, just as SU has gotten better because they have to compete with Clemson, Florida State, etc.

I like the idea of that challenge but the SEC would never want to give up their annual cupcakes that they play in mid-November. Logistics would probably be tough for other reasons, too.

Can't agree with you on the 4-5 wins if the games were played by ranking. Bama would be favored over Clemson by 8 (that's an official line). I consider SU the #2 team in the ACC and we'd prolly be 10 point dogs to UGA. And then it gets a lot worse from there. If you're counting on Pitt, Miami, NCS, Wake and UNC to beat the likes of LSU, TA&M, Florida, MSU, etc. fugheddaboudit. Not this year. It would be complete destruction along the likes of what happened to FSU, GaTech and L'ville this weekend and what happened to the U against LSU on opening weekend.

It's convenient for you to pick out Florida and SoCar but neither one of them is in the top six in the SEC imo and that's cuz Franks is a weak QB as u point out. Yeah I think SU could beat those teams but those aren't the ones I was referencing in my comments.

I also mentioned several SEC QBs that were very solid and didn't even mention the one that threw for 500 yards against Clemson last night. Franks stinks for sure.

But let me put a finer point on it, If you ranked the top twelve teams (properly, not with FLA #3) in the SEC and then matched them up with the top twelve teams in the B1G, ACC, P12 and B12 so that #1 played #1 etc. -the SEC would be favored in every single game and often by double digits. For that reason I'd rather see SU draw somebody from one of those other three power conferences. I think it would undeniably be a better draw for SU. Not sure what is so controversial about that.
Well of course the SEC #11 and #12 are going to beat the Big XII #11 and #12...

(Sorry, I had to be that guy.)

I like the idea of that challenge but the SEC would never want to give up their annual cupcakes that they play in mid-November. Logistics would probably be tough for other reasons, too.

Can't agree with you on the 4-5 wins if the games were played by ranking. Bama would be favored over Clemson by 8 (that's an official line). I consider SU the #2 team in the ACC and we'd prolly be 10 point dogs to UGA. And then it gets a lot worse from there. If you're counting on Pitt, Miami, NCS, Wake and UNC to beat the likes of LSU, TA&M, Florida, MSU, etc. fugheddaboudit. Not this year. It would be complete destruction along the likes of what happened to FSU, GaTech and L'ville this weekend and what happened to the U against LSU on opening weekend.

"I'd love to see an annual ACC-SEC challenge, a weekend in September"

The pairings would be based on the previous year's rankings, (I suggested Sagarin). We would have played Vanderbilt as you can see from the link. Using this year's Sagarin rankings to guess the winner of those match-ups there would be four ACC wins. We would be playing Georgia next year based on this year's rankings.

"I'd love to see an annual ACC-SEC challenge, a weekend in September"

The pairings would be based on the previous year's rankings, (I suggested Sagarin). We would have played Vanderbilt as you can see from the link. Using this year's Sagarin rankings to guess the winner of those match-ups there would be four ACC wins. We would be playing Georgia next year based on this year's rankings.

The two are very connected. They'd have to give up the cupcakes to make that happen. You have a limited amount of open dates against non-conference foes. Like I said before, nice idea but never gonna happen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom