Luckiest team I’ve ever seen win it all | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Luckiest team I’ve ever seen win it all

Question for the board: in your history of watching SU basketball can you recall SU getting as many breaks and calls to go their way during key moments as UVA had go their way in the past 3 weeks?

I’ll hang up and listen
Other than Oklahoma, we could have easily lost our other five tournament games in 2003.

We made the FF in 2016 thanks to an epic choke job by UVA...after Gonzaga choked the round before. Sure, Malachi went mad. And the trunk monkey was amazing, but other teams don't struggle as much against it.

Partisans by definition can't see that happening with their own team.

Question for you: wouldn't it just be easier to admit you were wrong and congratulate UVA on a well deserved championship?
Word

Other than Oklahoma, we could have easily lost our other five tournament games in 2003.

We made the FF in 2016 thanks to an epic choke job by UVA...after Gonzaga choked the round before. Sure, Malachi went mad. And the trunk monkey was amazing, but other teams don't struggle as much against it.
Were the Manhattan and Auburn games really in doubt?

In the second half, did Auburn ever have the ball with the chance to tie or take the lead?

In the second half, did Auburn ever have the ball with the chance to tie or take the lead?
Didn't Gerry have to score a million points in the Manhattan game?

The Manhattan game was too close for comfort for a long stretch. Auburn hit a bunch of crazy shots at the end. One mistake on our end or one bad call against us and they could have won.

Keep in mind, we also had the benefit of playing the first two weekends in Boston and Albany.

The Manhattan game was too close for comfort for a long stretch. Auburn hit a bunch of crazy shots at the end. One mistake on our end or one bad call against us and they could have won.

Keep in mind, we also had the benefit of playing the first two weekends in Boston and Albany.

by that estimation, could UVa "have easily lost" to all of their tourney opponents this year, save Oklahoma ?

I was thinking about the year he dropped 40.
Yeah, against BYU. You could say we were fortunate to make it to the second weekend that year...not that it wound up mattering.

by that estimation, could UVa "have easily lost" to all of their tourney opponents this year, save Oklahoma ?
Context is everything.

Down at the half to Gardner Webb,

Down late to Oregon

Need a miracle play to take Purdue to OT

Need a last-second foul call to beat Auburn

Need a 3-pointer with under :15 left to send the championship game to OT.

Let me know what context I'm missing.
My post does not exist in a vacuum. I was responding to someone.

My post does not exist in a vacuum. I was responding to someone.

You responded to this:

Question for the board: in your history of watching SU basketball can you recall SU getting as many breaks and calls to go their way during key moments as UVA had go their way in the past 3 weeks?

By saying this:

Not really sure what breaks and calls went SU's way in key moments in the '03 run...

You responded to this:

By saying this:

Not really sure what breaks and calls went SU's way in key moments in the '03 run...
Thanks for moving the goal posts.

We were down 18 to Oklahoma St. Does the comeback even happen if G-Mac doesn’t take a shot to the face? Because that’s not really something you can draw up.

We caught a break when Wake lost.

To reiterate, first two weekends in Boston and Albany. Oklahoma was #1 seed playing in our back yard.

We had to outscore Texas because our defense couldn’t stop them. Warrick gets called for a charge and the basket counts...

How many free throws did Kansas miss in the title game? G-Mac had to hit six threes, at least one of which was ill-advised. Good thing Warrick was in the right place at the right time and blessed with long arms, because we’ve been on the other side of that coin.

Yeah, we caught some breaks and had luck on our side, just like UVA. Just like a lot of champions.

Thanks for moving the goal posts. How were the goalposts moved by me. I QUOTED your posts.

We were down 18 to Oklahoma St. Does the comeback even happen if G-Mac doesn’t take a shot to the face? Because that’s not really something you can draw up. Is there any reason to believe that we don't come back against OSU if McNamara hadn't been bloodied?

We caught a break when Wake lost. Yes, same way that UVa didn't face a single #1 or #2 seed. UConn-esque

To reiterate, first two weekends in Boston and Albany. Oklahoma was #1 seed playing in our back yard. We played Manhattan in the 1st round. Last time I checked, that's closer to Boston than Syracuse is. The committee certainly didn't do Oklahoma any favors with placing them in Albany,

We had to outscore Texas because our defense couldn’t stop them. Warrick gets called for a charge and the basket counts... We had to outscore Texas...and we did. We led for the last 11:00+ As for the Warrick charge, I believe that the rule at the time allowed for the basket to count.

How many free throws did Kansas miss in the title game? G-Mac had to hit six threes, at least one of which was ill-advised. Good thing Warrick was in the right place at the right time and blessed with long arms, because we’ve been on the other side of that coin. Kansas missed 18 FTs, more than we even attempted. And yes, GMac was on fire in the first half. The Warrick block was luck? Oy vey,

Yeah, we caught some breaks and had luck on our side, just like UVA. Just like a lot of champions. The "breaks" and "luck" that UVa had in the past 4 games were pretty remarkable. Incredible, really. Not remotely similar to the "luck" that SU was the beneficiary of in '03.

Virginia played with fire and didn’t get burnt. Their kids made huge plays when they needed them most. They are a very deserving champion. Congrats to them. Now just cross your fingers that a bunch of them turn pro because I think Salt is the only senior that plays.

The OP is sad because he picked Duke to win 7 times and had them going 40-0.

A couple, but they also made a couple of garbage shots (like the shot that resulted in the infamous bench guy shrug GIF)
is that what we’re calling it when we stare down a wide open deep 3? It’s garbage because it’s deep or because jimmy refuses to guard beyond the line?

No but the slide rule cut it awfully close in tat one. It was a one possession game.

Down at the half to Gardner Webb,

Down late to Oregon

Need a miracle play to take Purdue to OT

Need a last-second foul call to beat Auburn

Need a 3-pointer with under :15 left to send the championship game to OT.

Let me know what context I'm missing.

And they had the maturity and composure to get through all of that. Which must be nice.

People will look back at the record of this Virginia team and probably think they were dominant. Those of us who watched will know they were far from it. Congrats to them for getting the job done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom