Luckiest team I’ve ever seen win it all | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Luckiest team I’ve ever seen win it all

When you get a high level seed in the tourney year after year (like UVA has over the past 5 seasons), eventually it's going to all come together and you'll start to cash in Final Fours and titles.

Jim Calhoun once has a reputation for great regular seasons but tournament failures. Then came 4 national championships.

I really don’t get why people are trying to delegitimize UVA. Did they not have enough Zion’s for people?

Is it possible that some people felt Virginia was "too white" to be a great team? (Ducks)

Or maybe people felt that they had a lot of guys we could have recruited because they weren't lottery picks so how could they be that good?

Or maybe some people don't want a team that beat us to win. (I'd rather have lost to a national champion than to have lost to a runner-up).

Then there's the people who think this will make Virginia too powerful for us. Point of order: they were already better than we are. We need to make our own team better instead of rooting for other teams to be worse.

Last edited:
When you get a high level seed in the tourney year after year (like UVA has over the past 5 seasons), eventually it's going to all come together and you'll start to cash in Final Fours and titles.

At some point or another, a team will eventually play to their seed.

Is it possible that some people felt Virginia was "too white" to be a great team? (Ducks)

Or maybe people felt that they had a lot of guys we could have recruited because they weren't lottery picks so how could they be that good?

Or maybe some people don't want a team that beat us to win. (I'd rather have lost to a national champion than yo have lost to a runner-up).

Then there's the people who think this will make Virginia too powerful for us. Point of order: they were already better than we are. We need to make out own team better instead of rooting for other teams to be worse.

Some valid points. There’s a large contingent of posters who think we can only win with 4 and 5 star recruits. Recent history tells us that isn’t the case so I think some posters get frustrated seeing other veteran teams win with recruiting similar to us.

Jim Calhoun once has a reputation for great regular seasons but tournament failures. Then came 4 national championships.

"Whoa, don't be stealing my national title!" -Kevin Ollie

Reactions: cto
They never get rattled, and make big plays in crunch time. Everyone needs luck, but they made winning plays every time they needed it. Hats off to them for being unfazed by the moment.

See, I thought Jerome seemed rattled at times...he wasn't coming completely undone, but he seemed close to me - and seemed to lack the same control he displayed at other times.

Some of those "lucky" calls break differently and I think it stands out more.

Guy bailed them out a bit. And the officials had an assist or two. :)

That being said, I was rooting for them against everyone but Purdue. So, not that upset.

Last edited:
How about 1975: Jellybean Bryant, (Kobe's Dad), missed a bunny at the buzzer and we win in overtime. Jim lee hits that shot against UNC. Dean Smith set sup an i-bounds play defense to get an offensive foul and gets what he wants but the refs don't call it. Then Bug Williams dribbles 40 feet to feed Rudy Hackett for the foul-line hook shot that goes in to again send us into an overtime that we win to go to the Final Four. Nobody here said we didn't deserve to be there.
Aside from being a year before I was born, that’s a great example.

How about UNC in both 82 and 93?

82, the Hoyas literally passed Worthy the ball.

93, Webber’s timeout.

Two of the weirdest end of game situations ever, to clinch two championships.
And they benefited from officiating two years ago, not to mention skating after the NCAA “investigation.”

How about UNC in both 82 and 93?

82, the Hoyas literally passed Worthy the ball.

93, Webber’s timeout.

Two of the weirdest end of game situations ever, to clinch two championships.

Any gifts in the games leading up to those championship games?

First of all, didn’t have to beat a 1 or 2 seed, but that’s not why

Purdue misses a ft that would have put them up 4, then they foul with 6 seconds left when Virginia isn’t anywhere close to getting a good shot off. Normally I agree with fouling up 3, but not when the other team is dribbling around not having a clue what to do. Then of course the missed ft, back tap past half court, the long pass and buzzer beater to tie it. Just ridiculous the things that had to go their way to force ot.

Auburn up 4 uva hits a 3. Auburn misses a ft that would have put them up 3, then with uva just past half court they foul with 1.5 secs left!!! Just cuz you have a foul to give doesn’t mean u have to foul!!!!! Jerome would have had to heave a desperation 3. Then they foul guy on the inbounds. And oh yea, the refs missed a double dribble call on Jerome that would have ended the game ! I mean I can’t even fathom how they pulled that win outta their butts, especially after the Purdue game.

Tonite wasn’t as miraculous, but down 3 with 15 secs left, Texas tech inexplicably has their entire team converge on Jerome in the lane and give up a wide open 3 in the corner. Give up the layup!!!! You’d still be winning with 10 seconds left!!!!

Uva still had to make clutch shots, but they got a ton of help from ridiculous fouls and missed fts by the other teams, and a very lucky non call by the refs. the chances of them winning all 3 of those games considering the score with 20 seconds left is about 1%, if that.
Almost all teams who win get lucky.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom