Lydon and Richardson | Syracusefan.com

Lydon and Richardson

As Cooney said he wants guys to open things up for us Lydon on both ends and Richardson do.
So proud of this team that came from the gut. And the Crowd Wow oh WoW! Don't care how many fans our there it doesn't get much better then that.

Wish they were joined by Diagne who probably would have had a big role on this team. But I agree, these two have the "it" factor.

Here's hoping they both stick around. They'll help us this year, but if they're both here next year, we could have a special team

Yep.

(except for Mal's attempted little Globetrotter dribbling display in the 2nd half)

Malachi attacked the middle of the lane 3-4 times nicely in the second half. Reminded me a little of those special teams of ours when he did that.
Always nice to see a couple of freshmen who can open it up for seniors. And Gbinije and Cooney played huge under alot of pressure.

Here's hoping they both stick around. They'll help us this year, but if they're both here next year, we could have a special team
I'd be a little surprised, at this point, if either of them is gone next year. They're both going to be excellent, and I don't anticipate either of them sticking around all four years, but they each have enough flaws that they probably wouldn't be more than a late first round pick at this stage.

I'd be a little surprised, at this point, if either of them is gone next year. They're both going to be excellent, and I don't anticipate either of them sticking around all four years, but they each have enough flaws that they probably wouldn't be more than a late first round pick at this stage.
After seeing McCullough go and get drafted nothing surprises me anymore.

jekelish said:

Lydon needs to fill out a lot more to be a viable NBA player. He's going to get pushed all over the place in the ACC, much less the NBA. And he's a small forward right now at the next level, so his handle would need to improve dramatically.

Malachi is a two in the NBA, so, like Lydon, he needs to work on his handle, penetration moves and shot off the dribble.

The only thing that makes me nervous is that they both have games that just scream NBA.

Lydon needs to fill out a lot more to be a viable NBA player. He's going to get pushed all over the place in the ACC, much less the NBA. And he's a small forward right now at the next level, so his handle would need to improve dramatically.

Malachi is a two in the NBA, so, like Lydon, he needs to work on his handle, penetration moves and shot off the dribble.

Agreed,Lydon's stock will soar in the future if/when he demonstrates SF level ball handling skills.

I see some Nick Young in Malachi.

OttoinGrotto said:
The only thing that makes me nervous is that they both have games that just scream NBA.

If they both have a great years, SU is going to the Sweet 16. But let's talk after we play some teams better than Lehigh and St. Bonaventure.

at this point, where in the world are they going?

They have been good at best. Thats not an insult - but my god, you know how I know they haven't been very good or great or NBA 1 and done talent? Because we barely beat 2 mediocre teams at home.

Last edited:
Just to piggy back off of my last post, here are some flaws:

Lydon: rebounding tonight was beyond horrible for him. He hit 2 3's tonight. Other than that has basically been a non factor offensively through 2 games

Mal: Dude is money from 3 when he is wide open. He is piss poor when someone guards him. Tonight only confirmed that. And my god he cant create an open 3. He did show a 1st step tonight but also showed some very odd HArlem Globetrotters act that bounced off of his foot.

MCW was the rookie of the year and didnt play as a frosh. These guys can be very good in the future, but they aint going nowhere through 2 games.

at this point, where in the world are they going?

They have been good at best. Thats not an insult - but my god, you know how I know they have been very good or great or NBA 1 and done talent? Because we barely beat 2 mediocre teams at home.

Lydon: rebounding tonight was beyond horrible for him. He hit 2 3's tonight. Other than that has basically been a non factor offensively through 2 games

Mal: Dude is money from 3 when he is wide open. He is piss poor when someone guards him. Tonight only confirmed that. And my god he cant create an open 3. He did show a 1st step tonight but also showed some very odd HArlem Globetrotters act that bounced off of his foot.

MCW was the rookie of the year and didnt play as a frosh. These guys can be very good in the future, but they aint going nowhere through 2 games.
Yeah, see, the thing is - that stuff doesn't matter very much.

All three of the freshman are big wins. While they all have made some freshman mistakes and maybe have weaknesses (like Lydon needing to be stronger, Mali making some bad turnovers, etc), they also play with a poise and confidence that is not really common. They are playing like sophomores right now (at a minimum). That, along with the amount of PT they will get this year should transform them into an incredibly potent nucleus for multiple years.

I agree with you about their flaws - but this has hardly stopped players in the past. MR in particular has good size and decent athleticism for his position. I feel like that alone could make him a first round pick in the eyes of many teams. That may be enough for him to jump. Obviously, I'm speculating. I never have insider knowledge, and I doubt any of us do this early. But it wouldn't shock me either.

Are we watching the same games? Lydon is averaging 8.5 points, 8.5 boards,1.5 Assists, 1.5 steals, and 1.5 blocks through 2 games. If there was a fantasy CBB league, he'd be a top pick. Now he may not blow you out of the water with one thing he does, but he fills the stat sheet. I think you are being way to hard on him with the rebounding. The 5 usually is not an elite rebounding position in the zone(Rak last year was the exception, not the rule). Malachi and Roberson need to rebound on the wings. I thought that's what killed us yesterday.

Mal needs to go to the basket when someone guards him. He started to in the second half yesterday. Coaches must of said something. I agree he might be the worst passer on the team. That might be because he never passed in high school, but both of these guys are elite level talents.

As Cooney said he wants guys to open things up for us Lydon on both ends and Richardson do.
So proud of this team that came from the gut. And the Crowd Wow oh WoW! Don't care how many fans our there it doesn't get much better then that.

What's really great is the freshmen got to experience Dome madness early in the season. If you are basketball player who's not pumped up playing in that environment then you don't have a pulse. I bet most of the freshmen were not able to go to sleep until 5am. Experiencing such great crowd reactions has got to be a positive force on these players going forward. I just could not believe the noise coming out of the TV. It was truly an awesome second half. Man, it's great to have basketball back!!!

We haven't made it into the NCAA tournament yet but I am more hopeful than I was 2 days ago!!

Hard to say. The first 10 games of our ACC schedule we will be without JB. That could really hurt our record for the season. I could see both of them getting drafted in the NBA at some point. Hopefully at the end of next season. I just want to see these guys play with Chukwa and Battle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom