Lydon is a Great Basketball Player. | Syracusefan.com

Lydon is a Great Basketball Player.

Cusefan0307

Red recruits the ACC!
He's not a center, but this kid is just a great well rounded basketball player. I know advanced stats aren't the be all/end all, but they show that he's our second best player behind Gbinije this year. He's second in Alsacs favorite stat PER, second in win shares, third in steals and first on the team in blocks, 3point %, and ft%. The metrics say we play our best when he is on the court. His Offensive and Defensive metrics per 100 possessions are the best on the team. This kid is the real deal, his game just isn't s e x y, and the degree of difficulty of his shots isn't like malachi or cooney, but he produces.

I know he can put on weight and be more aggressive, but he's already so effective. If he does those two things he's going to be dominant here before he leaves, especially when he doesn't have to play the five for 30 minutes a night

H

I know he can put on weight and be more aggressive, but he's already so effective. If he does those two things he's going to be dominant here before he leaves, especially when he doesn't have to play the five for 30 minutes a night

Definitely amazing when you think that we think he has played out of position all season. I just don't know what position he is going to evolve into. Is his ball handling going to vastly improve that he is going to be able to be a true wing player with the ball in his hands like a Gordie Haywood or is he going to bulk up more and be a true stretch four like a Ryan Anderson. Either way, the experience he is getting this year should go a long way next season.

He's not a center, but this kid is just a great well rounded basketball player. I know advanced stats aren't the be all/end all, but they show that he's our second best player behind Gbinije this year. He's second in Alsacs favorite stat PER, second in win shares, third in steals and first on the team in blocks, 3point %, and ft%. The metrics say we play our best when he is on the court. His Offensive and Defensive metrics per 100 possessions are the best on the team. This kid is the real deal, his game just isn't s e x y, and the degree of difficulty of his shots isn't like malachi or cooney, but he produces.

I agree. Kid is a very good player and will only get better. As everyone notes, he just needs to add a few lbs, which I'm sure he'll work on doing in the off-season. One stat you forgot to mention - he is # 1 on the team in mustache. That thing is it's own entity.

Definitely amazing when you think that we think he has played out of position all season. I just don't know what position he is going to evolve into. Is his ball handling going to vastly improve that he is going to be able to be a true wing player with the ball in his hands like a Gordie Haywood or is he going to bulk up more and be a true stretch four like a Ryan Anderson. Either way, the experience he is getting this year should go a long way next season.

I have a hard time seeing him at the 3--I just don't see the lateral quickness and ball handling to consistently beat 3s. That's not to say he won't get minutes at the 3, but he seems much more of a 4 in the future.

He's made 2 baseline moves the past two games that he got to the basket with ease, he just missed. Four or three it doesn't matter, he's going to be a matchup nightmare.

I have a hard time seeing him at the 3--I just don't see the lateral quickness and ball handling to consistently beat 3s. That's not to say he won't get minutes at the 3, but he seems much more of a 4 in the future.
So let's all agree that he needs to play 30 minutes a game next season since he is very valuable to this team. If Chukwu/Coleman are playing center and Roberson is playing the four, where is Lydon's playing time going to come from. He's too valuable to sit the bench.

So let's all agree that he needs to play 30 minutes a game next season since he is very valuable to this team. If Chukwu/Coleman are playing center and Roberson is playing the four, where is Lydon's playing time going to come from. He's too valuable to sit the bench.
Combine that question with Battle, Mal, Howard and Moyer and have we got a deep bench or what?

Agreed. IMO, there is no way he could play the 3 for more than a few minutes here/there for reasons you outlined. He'll be a beast of a stretch 4 sooner than later. Poor guy is playing way out of position as we know. He has great instincts for the game already.

Combine that question with Battle, Mal, Howard and Moyer and have we got a deep bench or what?
And I forgot to mention if Taurean Thompson comes that eats more minutes at the four. He's not going to come if he isn't going to play. I believe he already said that why he is waiting.

He really needs to shave that mustache. It looks like a fuzzy little caterpillar.

Attachments

• imgres.jpg
    imgres.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 48

Lydon had made a few nice dribble penetration moves to get to the basket. He won't take a guard of the dribble, but with his length, he can probably get an angle on most small forwards and get to the interior defense. His shooting ability will also bring gus farther out on him than they will be comfortable, giving lots of shot fake and drive opportunities.

Very excited about his growth potential.

I could see lineups of either TB, Mal, Lydon3, TRob, and Chuk/DC or FH, TB, Mal3, Lydon and Chuk/DC. After watching the layup line VaTech was running last night, a back line of Lydon, TRob and Chukwu can't get here soon enough.

He is going to be a 4 for us. He'll probably have to become a 3 at the next level.

My only complaint about Lydon is that he's not selfish enough. There are so many times he has a good look and then does an unnecessary pump fake, and then on the same possession Cooney ends up jacking up a crap shot. I want him to take more shots, plain and simple.

He is going to be a 4 for us. He'll probably have to become a 3 at the next level.
Lets not think a bout "next level for at least two years,please. I love this young man's game. Its going to get better with added muscle mass by next year. He will join the forecourt of a outstanding rebounding ands defensive ability. A front court of great length on the wing and down low scoring. Jimmy should have a ball working this into his ideal zone defensive play. He will have Malachi and maybe Battle on top of the zone or Howard place of Battle. (?)

Last edited:
I happen to not agree with the constant "but he needs to add weight" assessment. I think TL's game would suffer if he were to bulk up too much. I mean, sure, if he's was going to try to play center - then yes, he'd need to put on at least another 20-25 lbs. But he will not be playing center. He'll be playing stretch 4 or even 3. He needs to remain agile and springy - if anything he needs to improve his handle and his finishing around the rim. I'd say he could add maybe 10 lbs tops and maybe add some leg/core strength.

This is what Francis and others told us when he committed--that he was a stud who was underranked. Turns out, his stint on Team USA two summers ago was a harbinger of his readiness. Thank god, because we needed the depth inside.

He's going to be terrific. And he's eventually going to be an NBA player.

I happen to not agree with the constant "but he needs to add weight" assessment. I think TL's game would suffer if he were to bulk up too much. I mean, sure, if he's was going to try to play center - then yes, he'd need to put on at least another 20-25 lbs. But he will not be playing center. He'll be playing stretch 4 or even 3. He needs to remain agile and springy - if anything he needs to improve his handle and his finishing around the rim. I'd say he could add maybe 10 lbs tops and maybe add some leg/core strength.

I agree with your 10 lb assessment. I don't think adding 20-25 will benefit him, as his game is more perimeter oriented. However, we need him to attack the glass and be able to handle the physicality down low. I think he does an admirable job being undersized, but too often he gets pushed around. I feel good that next year, this won't be an issue.

He's made 2 baseline moves the past two games that he got to the basket with ease, he just missed. Four or three it doesn't matter, he's going to be a matchup nightmare.
Lydon had made a few nice dribble penetration moves to get to the basket. He won't take a guard of the dribble, but with his length, he can probably get an angle on most small forwards and get to the interior defense. His shooting ability will also bring gus farther out on him than they will be comfortable, giving lots of shot fake and drive opportunities.

Very excited about his growth potential.

But let's remember that he was playing against opposing 5s when he made his moves. It's one thing to beat a center off the dribble, it's entirely different to beat quality 3s. Let's think about last year's Duke team. Could you see him beating Okafor off the dribble? Yeah. Justice Winslow? Lol.

I'm with you. It is much more important that TL keep that sweet looking 3, than add 25lbs. Especially since it looks like he is going to get a lot of minutes at the 3. We have TR at the 4, and the combo 7'2"/DC2 at center. TL is going to have a lot of minutes at the 3 - and we want him mobile and a great 3pt shooter - not some beef boy banger.

While having TL at the 3 may somewhat limit the offense, the Defense with him there could be outstanding.

But let's remember that he was playing against opposing 5s when he made his moves. It's one thing to beat a center off the dribble, it's entirely different to beat quality 3s. Let's think about last year's Duke team. Could you see him beating Okafor off the dribble? Yeah. Justice Winslow? Lol.

Well Nobody is taking Justice Winslow off the dribble in the NBA, so there's that. He's not a finished product by any means, I think he's going to have to start at the 3 next year. Not like we can afford to have him on the bench.

I could see lineups of either TB, Mal, Lydon3, TRob, and Chuk/DC or FH, TB, Mal3, Lydon and Chuk/DC. After watching the layup line VaTech was running last night, a back line of Lydon, TRob and Chukwu can't get here soon enough.

If everyone's back, I see a classic JB 7 1/2 man rotation. Chukwu and Coleman man center, with Lydon getting some minutes there if Coleman is not back. Roberson, Lydon, and Moyer rotate at the forward position, and Battle, Richardson, and Frankie rotate at the guard position. Frankie also says "relax."

If Thompson commits and everyone is back, then I assume Moyer and Thompson are competing to be the third guy in the forward rotation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom