Lydon is a Great Basketball Player. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Lydon is a Great Basketball Player.

I agree. Kid is a very good player and will only get better. As everyone notes, he just needs to add a few lbs, which I'm sure he'll work on doing in the off-season. One stat you forgot to mention - he is # 1 on the team in mustache. That thing is it's own entity.
I like this except for his stache. It looks stupid on him. I think his baby face "clean look plays to his advantage

This is what Francis and others told us when he committed--that he was a stud who was underranked. Turns out, his stint on Team USA two summers ago was a harbinger of his readiness. Thank god, because we needed the depth inside.

He's going to be terrific. And he's eventually going to be an NBA player.
He kind of reminds me of Larry Bird, size-wise, fluid, but not flashy, not overly quick but deceptive, sees the court well, great form on his jumper, but most importantly, the cheesy 'stache that Bird also had. His handle isn't where Bird's was yet.

I like this except for his stache. It looks stupid on him. I think his baby face "clean look plays to his advantage
The stache is fantastic. I heard the kid has big plans.
6RollieFingers_20110920202221450_600_400.jpg

I happen to not agree with the constant "but he needs to add weight" assessment. I think TL's game would suffer if he were to bulk up too much. I mean, sure, if he's was going to try to play center - then yes, he'd need to put on at least another 20-25 lbs. But he will not be playing center. He'll be playing stretch 4 or even 3. He needs to remain agile and springy - if anything he needs to improve his handle and his finishing around the rim. I'd say he could add maybe 10 lbs tops and maybe add some leg/core strength.

I totally disagree.

I think he needs to add at least 10-15 pounds between this year and next.

And then he needs to duplicate that when heading to the NBA.

He needs muscle to be able to handle the inside/outside game we are going to need from him. I think the muscle will help his athleticism.

This is what Francis and others told us when he committed--that he was a stud who was underranked. Turns out, his stint on Team USA two summers ago was a harbinger of his readiness. Thank god, because we needed the depth inside.

He's going to be terrific. And he's eventually going to be an NBA player.

With some weight (assuming he retains the ability to shoot) he's a great stretch 4.

44cuse

He needs hand strength. He has gotten many balls batted out of his hands, or just ripped away. At least, it seems like "many" to me.

He kind of reminds me of Larry Bird, size-wise, fluid, but not flashy, not overly quick but deceptive, sees the court well, great form on his jumper, but most importantly, the cheesy 'stache that Bird also had. His handle isn't where Bird's was yet.
White guys only get compared to other white guys ;)

I totally disagree.

I think he needs to add at least 10-15 pounds between this year and next.

And then he needs to duplicate that when heading to the NBA.

He needs muscle to be able to handle the inside/outside game we are going to need from him. I think the muscle will help his athleticism.
eh, no doubt he needs to add strength but he can do that without bulking up or adding considerable weight. You're saying he needs to add 20-30 pounds which is ridiculous

he will always have an issue rebounding at this weight. you need some bulk in the lower body to hold position no matter how strong you get

wish we would target more of "him" in our future recruit classes...those stretch 4's are amazing in our system

I remember when he accepted I was thinking "who the heck is this guy?" I remember watching his highlight videos and thinking "he's just okay. I guess the coaches must see something special in him." I guess the coaches are really good at recruiting after all!

eh, no doubt he needs to add strength but he can do that without bulking up or adding considerable weight. You're saying he needs to add 20-30 pounds which is ridiculous

He's between 200 and 210 pounds right now.

He absolutely needs to get to 220 pounds MINIMUM and really needs to get to between 230 and 240 for the NBA.

There is nothing ridiculous about that.

He's between 200 and 210 pounds right now.

He absolutely needs to get to 220 pounds MINIMUM and really needs to get to between 230 and 240 for the NBA.

There is nothing ridiculous about that.
I couldn't care less about what he needs for the nba - for his sophomore year at SU he needs nowhere near 20 lbs

I couldn't care less about what he needs for the nba - for his sophomore year at SU he needs nowhere near 20 lbs

He just needs to be little bigger and stronger. He's playing pretty good basketball now. He's just not a center.

White guys only get compared to other white guys ;)
I anticipated someone mentioning it, even if in jest. But that's the best comparison I could come up with. Maybe the bad 'stache was what led me down that path.:noidea: I'm open to other comparisons.

wish we would target more of "him" in our future recruit classes...those stretch 4's are amazing in our system

Me too. Unfortunately, players like him aren't easy to find...

I would, however, take more players who arrive on campus with solid fundamentals like Lydon did. I look forward to seeing how his game grows as he masters more fundamental technical and tactical skills.

If everyone's back, I see a classic JB 7 1/2 man rotation. Chukwu and Coleman man center, with Lydon getting some minutes there if Coleman is not back. Roberson, Lydon, and Moyer rotate at the forward position, and Battle, Richardson, and Frankie rotate at the guard position. Frankie also says "relax."

If Thompson commits and everyone is back, then I assume Moyer and Thompson are competing to be the third guy in the forward rotation.

BTW, great thread, zero-seven.

I don't see any conflict between Thompson and Lydon. Thompson's 6'10 .. with (as far as I've been told) no outside game. If I remember from from the recruiting thread, he's an inside player who will probably back up the 5 (he could also play PF for us). http://www.syracusefan.com/threads/pf-taurean-thompson-nj-brewster-academy-offered.92902/

To the quoted post, I don't think there's much doubt that Lydon will play mostly 3 next year (with maybe some time at the 4). He has the perfect game for small forward ... reliable outside scorer who can shoot over smaller players and take big's to the rim. Not to mention that Roberson's got the 4 pretty much locked up. Fortunately, Chukwu (and DC coming back) will eliminate the need for Lydon to man the post.

To those predicting that Lydon will come off the bench, I also don't see that. He's too good a player to leave on the bench next year ... especially with TC leaving a giant hole in the SG position that Richardson looks like he was born into. We lose 30 points from our backcourt that needs to be recreated .. MR will take up some of that, and I expect Lydon will be needed to score (10-12?) along with some (10?) from Battle, some (12-14?) from Roberson.

My guess is .. Lydon's our starting SF and I couldn't be happier for the kid. Weight ... seems like more of a generic term for power. I Look at what Roberson did with 12 pounds... pretty amazing despite not being a lot of bulk. It's just the steady results from college-level weight training and hard work over the summer. I expect exactly that from Lydon this summer ... and playing him in the forward rotation instead of back up center is going to help the team, showcase his talents and create matchup problems for the opposition.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom