Lydon signs | Syracusefan.com

Lydon signs

I don't think anybody argues that it's a bad idea for a first round talent take the money while it's there.
The only case for "he should have stayed" is when the kid misjudges his talent and can't cash in.
What hurts us, really, is that leaving early means he chose the cash over being "one of us" for another couple of years.
Without the protection of limited draft eligibility that's just a reality that college basketball fans have to accept.

Can make up to 9.6 million. Should've stayed I guess.

$2.88 million total guaranteed over years 1 and 2.

Years 3 and 4 are team options, no? Not that $2.88 million isn't a nice sum of money.

$2.88 million total guaranteed over years 1 and 2.

Years 3 and 4 are team options, no? Not that $2.88 million isn't a nice sum of money.

Yes, first two years guaranteed, which will end up between $2.3M and $3.5M depending on the final terms. Gonna be hard to get minutes to get to that third year in Denver.

But but but but but lottery pick!!!!

Really, wish he went last year for his best shot at money but I'm glad he didn't stay any longer for his sake!

Yes, first two years guaranteed, which will end up between $2.3M and $3.5M depending on the final terms. Gonna be hard to get minutes to get to that third year in Denver.
They're actively trying to unload Faried or Arthur to create more cap space. We'll see what happens. He'll probably spend the majority of this year bouncing between the D-League and Denver but he has a chance to play. The team needs another shooter but he's still behind Jokic, Millsap, Plumlee, Faried, Arthur, and Juancho Hernangomez in the bigs rotation. It's a good team to latch onto and they're going to be a fun watch. If he finds a way to get on the floor he'll be able to get open shots with the attention Jokic gets and his incredible passing ability.

They're actively trying to unload Faried or Arthur to create more cap space. We'll see what happens. He'll probably spend the majority of this year bouncing between the D-League and Denver but he has a chance to play. The team needs another shooter but he's still behind Jokic, Millsap, Plumlee, Faried, Arthur, and Juancho Hernangomez in the bigs rotation. It's a good team to latch onto and they're going to be a fun watch. If he finds a way to get on the floor he'll be able to get open shots with the attention Jokic gets and his incredible passing ability.

Outside of Jokic and Millsap I think he can pass all those other guys if he plays well.

And Trey Lyles also. Nuggs really like Hernan. I don't know how many other teams could have this much of a log jam at forward. It's gonna be a real battle to get on the floor this season for him, but I don't know if anyone in Denver will be pulling for him as hard as I will be. C'mon Lydon, you got this!

And Trey Lyles also. Nuggs really like Hernan. I don't know how many other teams could have this much of a log jam at forward. It's gonna be a real battle to get on the floor this season for him, but I don't know if anyone in Denver will be pulling for him as hard as I will be. C'mon Lydon, you got this!
Good call on Lyles he slipped my mind. Juancho came on toward the end of the year and his shooting ability and athleticism make him a possiblity at the 3 and 4. I've been a big Denver fan since Carmelo went there and. This young core is going to be tough to crack but I like their playing style and think Lydon can help them in the near future.

Outside of Jokic and Millsap I think he can pass all those other guys if he plays well.
Jokic and Plumlee are definitely getting the center minutes but it's hard to see him passing Faried and Arthur because they're veterans and Denver really wants to make the playoffs this year.

Good call on Lyles he slipped my mind. Juancho came on toward the end of the year and his shooting ability and athleticism make him a possiblity at the 3 and 4. I've been a big Denver fan since Carmelo went there and. This young core is going to be tough to crack but I like their playing style and think Lydon can help them in the near future.

pshaw, I've been a big fan of the Nugs since the Alex English days. I used to try to mimic his one handed floater shot on the playground courts. I would yell out "Alex Englisssssshhh!" as I took off. My friends got annoyed with it quickly. lol

How can he be expected to live on that?
Yet many are broke a few years after leaving the NBA.

$2.8M is the gross...his net will be less. He might have to pay an agent part of the salary. He might have handlers/strap hangers siphoning money, short term apartment leases or worse he over extends on a house, the idea he needs to live a showy life and keep up with the big time players...lots of land mines. And I haven't yet talked about taxes...and filing single.

Last edited:

$2.8M is the gross...his net will be less. He might have to pay an agent part of the salary. He might have handlers/strap hangers siphoning money, short term apartment leases or worse he over extends on a house, the idea he needs to live a showy life and keep up with the big time players...lots of land mines. And I haven't yet talked about taxes...and filing single.
Don't think we will see the entourage stuff with Lydon. His goal in life is to live a life of hunting and fishing. That isn't the type of guy who usually goes in for night life antics. Or is more commonly known as the texanmark lifestyle.

Don't think we will see the entourage stuff with Lydon. His goal in life is to live a life of hunting and fishing. That isn't the type of guy who usually goes in for night life antics. Or is more commonly known as the texanmark lifestyle.

He is going to love Denver and his entourage will kick your entourage's butt.

I don't think anybody argues that it's a bad idea for a first round talent take the money while it's there.
The only case for "he should have stayed" is when the kid misjudges his talent and can't cash in.
What hurts us, really, is that leaving early means he chose the cash over being "one of us" for another couple of years.
Without the anti-free market restrictions that Americans should not face of limited draft eligibility that's just a reality that college basketball fans have to accept.

Fixed it.

Kids leaving early don't hurt anyone. It's entertainment. Lots of young men and women make far more important decisions of employment which cost them life and limb. College basketball is just entertainment

BTW, to me, Tyler will always be "one of us". He gave more in 2 years than many players do in 4.
He also had an iconic moment in the UVa game (shoeless 3). Very few players ever have moments like that.

The state tax rate in Colorado is flat at below 5%.

~$1.4 million to start is a hell better when I started my first job out of college at$12,100. Of course my entourage was happy if I bought a $3.50 pitcher of beer every so often. You point on that that Tyler will incur additional expenses like agent fees, financial advisor fees, entourage fees, etc. he will learn to live within his means. He has an opportunity to earn more money in the NBA, possibly have a 5-7 year career if he is good and real lucky. Danny Schayes had a 13+ year career working in and with the NBA as a player and an executive. Lightning struck once, perhaps it can strike again.

Congrats to Tyler. Hopes he invests the money wisely and has a long and distinguished career.

dude - we knew about what he was getting the millisecond he was drafted. It is within a range per slotted selection

As long as he is 1st rounder he gets the guaranteed 2 years. The next 2 years are team options. Now for Tyler - it is all about the 2nd contract. Hopefully he doesnt have to take minimum deal like just about everyone not named Carmelo has done post rookie deal.

dude - we knew about what he was getting the millisecond he was drafted. It is within a range per slotted selection

As long as he is 1st rounder he gets the guaranteed 2 years. The next 2 years are team options. Now for Tyler - it is all about the 2nd contract. Hopefully he doesnt have to take minimum deal like just about everyone not named Carmelo has done post rookie deal.

Tired narrative here. MCW signed a one year deal for 2.7 million. We'd signed a 4 year contract for 16 million last year. Dion is cashing in at 4 years for 52 million. Em is will resign with the Lakers.

Not sure where some of you guys are getting this from. We are getting a long ways from Flynn and Donte.

Tired narrative here. MCW signed a one year deal for 2.7 million. We'd signed a 4 year contract for 16 million last year. Dion is cashing in at 4 years for 52 million. Em is will resign with the Lakers.

Not sure where some of you guys are getting this from. We are getting a long ways from Flynn and Donte.
The points I raised are "food for thought"...lots of landmines out there. As fans we think Tyler has a good head on his shoulder (and I believe that too) but while the contract sounds life changing it comes with no guarantees past two years for a resigning. Flynn should've been in his prime earning years right now but injury killed his earning potential, other players are paid for two years and then head for an uncertain nomadic lifestyle in the Foreign Leagues or the D League, others hang on for more than two years and still end up broke.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom