Lydon signs | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Lydon signs

It's just weird to me how the goalposts move.

"A guy should enter when he has the best chance to stick!"

"A guy shouldn't enter unless he's lottery!"

"Ok, first round picks get guaranteed money, I guess that's ok then."

"But wait! That whole contract isn't guaranteed!"

"Don't forget, the player has to pay taxes. Taxes. Don't forget that!"

"You don't make any money until your 2nd contract anyway!"

"Most players go bankrupt after their playing days!"

"Should have gotten their degree!"

Like, what the heck just happened? It's the most bizarrely predictable conversation ever.

Again - I really dont see many (if any) saying Lydon should have stayed. Definitely zero in this thread. So I'm not really sure where this comes from.

For Lydon. Going pro last year, this year, or next year - its still all about that 2nd contract. The rookie deals (picked 1-30) are only guaranteed for 2 years. and where Lydon was projected to go last year, this year, and probably next year at best all capped out around $10 mil for the entire life of the non guaranteed 4 year deal. A phenomenal start to a life time of earnings. But unless he is savvy from day 1, runs out for more smart people than you could care to imagine.

And some of us are saying...while a gross amount of $2.88M is a lot of money...his real net amount will be about $2M. If I were his advisor I would tell him to: rent an apartment on a month to month lease but with controlled access (insert an NBA trade clause if you have to sign a year lease). Buy a normal SUV for Colorado. I would invest the rest (stocks, land for his future post NBA house, CDs and a retirement/future education account). Make sure money is set aside to pay taxes on the land for 20 years.

Finally, stay away from the NBA lifestyle as much as possible: Better to have one serious girl than three baby mamas.
I like your style but I might recommend a two bedroom condo over renting an apartment.

In my opinion, the ideal fit for Tyler would have been in Portland. The Denver thing made sense until Millsap was signed.

I've long since given up trying to figure out who will stay and who will go. I just assume we'll lose 3-4 guys a year, (to graduation- if they bother- transfer or the pros), and we'll bring in 3-4 new guys and hope they are good, too. All you can do is wish the guys that left do well., (which helps us as well as them)

There was a year in the late 80's where JB didn't bother to recruit anybody- he had everything he needed coming back and the recruiting class the following year was much deeper than the then current one. So we essentially had the same team two years in a row. Those days are long gone.

He'll make contacts, have opportunities, who knows, maybe he'll own a car dealership or get a broadcasting gig. Opportunities galore. He's going to Colorado, maybe he'll become involved in a hot, growing sector: cannabis.
Rico involved in legal cannabis? Heaven forfend!

Lol. You pessimists are a piss-tol. Worst case scenario (other than major injuries which players have insurance for) is Lydon gets cut and goes to Europe or somewhere else in the international league. Other than China, I believe it's quite interesting and fun and you earn several hundred thousand dollars doing it for 6 months or so per season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom