Lydon signs | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Lydon signs

Tired narrative here. MCW signed a one year deal for 2.7 million. We'd signed a 4 year contract for 16 million last year. Dion is cashing in at 4 years for 52 million. Em is will resign with the Lakers.

Not sure where some of you guys are getting this from. We are getting a long ways from Flynn and Donte.

Speaking of narratives

The Flynn one needs to stop. Do people forget he had major injuries/surgeries? Was never the same after his rookie year when he was 2nd team all rookie and needed off season hip surgery. Talent wasn't the issue.

Yet many are broke a few years after leaving the NBA.

$2.8M is the gross...his net will be less. He might have to pay an agent part of the salary. He might have handlers/strap hangers siphoning money, short term apartment leases or worse he over extends on a house, the idea he needs to live a showy life and keep up with the big time players...lots of land mines. And I haven't yet talked about taxes...and filing single.

And the risk of all that would have been avoided if he had stayed at Syracuse just one more year. :bat:

The points I raised are "food for thought"...lots of landmines out there. As fans we think Tyler has a good head on his shoulder (and I believe that too) but while the contract sounds life changing it comes with no guarantees past two years for a resigning. Flynn should've been in his prime earning years right now but injury killed his earning potential, other players are paid for two years and then head for an uncertain nomadic lifestyle in the Foreign Leagues or the D League, others hang on for more than two years and still end up broke.

And all this would have changed with them staying an extra year.

And all this would have changed with them staying an extra year.
These comments about how much money pro athletes pay in taxes and how they don't have income guarantees are like people when the lottery gets big feel morally obligated to remind everyone how much smaller the lottery winnings are after taxes.

These comments about how much money pro athletes pay in taxes and how they don't have income guarantees are like people when the lottery gets big feel morally obligated to remind everyone how much smaller the lottery winnings are after taxes.

Lottery winners go broke constantly. After taxes and before anything else Lydon is looking at 1.5 for the 2 years. It's nice but the next contracts are where it's at.

Pro athletes tend not to live below their means in cost friendly environments.

Lottery winners go broke constantly. After taxes and before anything else Lydon is looking at 1.5 for the 2 years. It's nice but the next contracts are where it's at.

Whereas recent college grads ARE broke constantly.

Lydon will be $1.5 MILLION DOLLARS (cue Dr. Evil pinkie ;)) richer with zero college debt by the time his classmates will be flipping the tassels on their caps.

The NBA is doing many things to ensure the development of their prospects is improving significantly. This is one of their key mandates right now and they are acting on it. What is the NCAA doing to ensure players develop better?

Whereas recent college grads ARE broke constantly.

Lydon will be $1.5 MILLION DOLLARS (cue Dr. Evil pinkie ;)) richer with zero college debt by the time his classmates will be flipping the tassels on their caps.

Of course, but that's not the point. The career arcs and lifestyles are completely different.

The NBA is doing many things to ensure the development of their prospects is improving significantly. This is one of their key mandates right now and they are acting on it. What is the NCAA doing to ensure players develop better?

The NCAA is a banana republic so not like there is any help there.

Drafting 19 year olds that could be done by age 22 and putting their older players who can play out to pasture, it's another debate.

Tired narrative here. MCW signed a one year deal for 2.7 million. We'd signed a 4 year contract for 16 million last year. Dion is cashing in at 4 years for 52 million. Em is will resign with the Lakers.

Not sure where some of you guys are getting this from. We are getting a long ways from Flynn and Donte.

MCW, Wes and DIon all signed near bottomed out 2nd contracts.

Wes actually signed 3 in a row.

How is that a tired narrative? Its a fact.

Dion put himself in a good place by having a fantastic 30-40 games stretch but he had a lot of pressure on him to earn it. MCW hopes to do the same but 1 year 2.7 is bad - and he could be out of the league or a forever minimum player.

Doesnt make it wrong to have left early. Im in the camp that most should go. I didnt think Greene should ahve and didnt really want CM to go. Everyone else IMO made the right choice.

I dont think LYdon or Ennis would have been able to improve their stocks at all. They dont have explosive athleticism so the only thing that happens to them coming back is more faults being found and getting older.

Last edited:
Speaking of narratives

The Flynn one needs to stop. Do people forget he had major injuries/surgeries? Was never the same after his rookie year when he was 2nd team all rookie and needed off season hip surgery. Talent wasn't the issue.

Yeah - that guy pinning a flynn narrative on me is 100000% wrong. Just want to clarify that. I was literally talking abtou 3 guys he referenced in their SECOND contracts as being minimum and near minimum.

MCW, Wes and DIon all signed near bottomed out 2nd contracts.

Wes actually signed 3 in a row.

How is that a tired narrative? Its a fact.

Dion put himself in a good place by having a fantastic 30-40 games stretch but he had a lot of pressure on him to earn it. MCW hopes to do the same but 1 year 2.7 is bad - and he could be out of the league or a forever minimum player.

Doesnt make it wrong to have left early. Im in the camp that most should go. I didnt think Greene should ahve and didnt really want CM to go. Everyone else IMO made the right choice.

I dont think LYdon or Ennis would have been able to improve their stocks at all. They dont have explosive athleticism so the only thing that happens to them coming back is more faults being found and getting older.

Wes is making 6 million this year. That's not a bottomed out contract.

Dion is going to make 52 million for 4 years.

Not sure where people keep repeating that Lydon isn't a good athlete. Everyone on this board said that he was going to test poorly at the combine and then he did well and people are repeating it.

The only guy who I agree with you on is Cmac. He's in no mans land.

If this is the take you have I totally disagree with it.

I have come to the realization that it isn't worth the time it takes to argue about this stuff. If someone cannot understand why Tyler as a 20 year old going to the NBA to get guaranteed 7 figures for a couple of years is a good decision then why waste your time.

Last edited:
And the risk of all that would have been avoided if he had stayed at Syracuse just one more year. :bat:

Also if they crap out of the NBA, they definitely can't go back to school and finish up. That's definitely never done. Automatic bankruptcy.

Wes is making 6 million this year. That's not a bottomed out contract.

Dion is going to make 52 million for 4 years.

Not sure where people keep repeating that Lydon isn't a good athlete. Everyone on this board said that he was going to test poorly at the combine and then he did well and people are repeating it.

The only guy who I agree with you on is Cmac. He's in no mans land.

If this is the take you have I totally disagree with it.

SECOND CONTRACT
SECOND CONTRACT
SECOND CONTRACT
SECOND CONTRACT
SECOND CONTRACT
SECOND CONTRACT
SECOND CONTRACT
SECOND CONTRACT
SEONCD CONTRACT
SECOND CONTRACT
SECOND CONTRACT
SECOND CONTRACT

WES SIGNED 3 STRAGIHT 1 YR MINIMUM DEALS
DION SIGNED A 2 YR 5MIL DEAL
MCW SIGNED A 1 YR 2.7 MIL DEAL

IF YOU ARENT SIGNING A REAL CONTRACT (NONE OF THOSE ARE "REAL" IN NBA TERMS) YOU ARE PUTTING YOUR NBA FUTURE AT RISK.

I didnt say Tyler Lydon wasnt athletic. I said "they dont have explosive athleticism" We obviously know he can jump. But he cant put the ball on the floor and his lateral quickness is not there for Elite level stuff. He wasnt going to increase his stock is all I said. Meaning he made the right choice to come out and get picked at 24 or whatever it was.

I have come to the realization that it isn't worth the time it takes to argue about this stuff. If someone cannot understand why Tyler as a 20 year old going to the NBA to get guaranteed 7 figures for a couple of years is a good decision then why waste your time.

Has anyone on this thread said that he should have stayed?

If you aren't good enough to sign a real second contract after getting drafted in the 1st round then I find it hard to believe you would have had any better chance at it staying in school longer. Usually staying longer decreases their chance to get guaranteed money on a first contract.

Lol. Btw I think we will see a future of guys coming out even if they are second rounders. Most of those guys are getting guaranteed contracts now too. Fans here aren't going to like it, but it's going to be a lot easier to get second contracts now with 16th and 17th roster spots being partially guaranteed.

2.8 is a nice chunk of change, if you save it right you can make it last, no one is debating that, but like I and many others have said its all about that 2nd contract and being in a position to cash in. Guys like Otto Porter are getting 100 mil deals, Hardaway just got a 71 mil offer, that is insanity.

I guess now that Lydon has broken some hearts by leaving and getting drafted in the first round, we can move on to the "but X dollars is really only worth Y dollars" and "the second contract is the only one that really matters" stage of rooting against him.

Last edited:
If you aren't good enough to sign a real second contract after getting drafted in the 1st round then I find it hard to believe you would have had any better chance at it staying in school longer. Usually staying longer decreases their chance to get guaranteed money on a first contract.

I am positive you didn't read my initial post.

I never once said Lydon should have stayed in school. Not 1 time.

I said exactly what you said in a follow up post. That Lydons stock would have FALLEN had he come back.

Not 1 person on this thread has said that Lydon should be Jr at Syracuse. NOT 1.

I am positive you didn't read my initial post.

I never once said Lydon should have stayed in school. Not 1 time.

I said exactly what you said in a follow up post. That Lydons stock would have FALLEN had he come back.

Not 1 person on this thread has said that Lydon should be Jr at Syracuse. NOT 1.

My fault if I miss understood.

You can't get a second contract without getting the first one. But that has nothing to do with money management.

Let's have this conversation again. My wife and kiddos are sick so I have free time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom