Lydon to hire agent and enter NBA draft | Page 40 | Syracusefan.com

Lydon to hire agent and enter NBA draft

He's a PF who is continually forced to play Center for us and has game that's predicated upon good point guard play.

-We didn't have a pg last year and currently don't have one for next year.

-Given the defense we play and personnel we have, who knows if he'd be forced back to the 5 once the season gets going.

-He may have a decent post game but we'll never know because we don't enter the ball into the post.

He has a chance to be a first round pick and his game translates better to the NBA than college.

Feelings about his, and the teams, lackluster past season aside... why exactly should he come back?

Answer: He shouldn't.

The 4 vs. the 5 argument is overrated in our system. He played the 5 in the zone, but that doesn't mean he was a 5 on offense. And he played the 5 in the zone because he was a horrible defender on the wing, so he wasn't forced into it, he forced himself into it by not being a good wing defender.

The 4 vs. the 5 argument is overrated in our system. He played the 5 in the zone, but that doesn't mean he was a 5 on offense. And he played the 5 in the zone because he was a horrible defender on the wing, so he wasn't forced into it, he forced himself into it by not being a good wing defender.

So the 3, 4, and 5 are all the same in our system? I see fans saying the same thing about the 3 and 4 on the recruiting board. I think he played the 5 because unfortunately he was our best defensive center, but I agree he wasn't great on the wing.

Zach Collins of Gonzaga just declared for the draft. I would say that knocks Lydon down one more notch on the draft order. I agree with those that say Lydon's game did not regress this year, just that it did not improve that much from his Freshman year. If you want to blame it on his teammates feel free to do so. I would love to see Lydon on the SU team next year but it's difficult to turn down 1st round money.

Regarding some of the players who've signed with agents/may still in the draft:

Solidly ahead of Lydon:
Zach Collins
Jarrett Allen
OG Anunoby
Lonzo
John Collins
DeAaron Fox
Markelle Fultz
Jonathan Isaac
Lauri Markkanen
Malik Monk
Justin Patton
Dennis Smith
Jayson Tatum

In the mix with Lydon (my guess in parentheses):
Harry Giles (Giles ahead)
Luke Kennard (Kennard ahead)
TJ Leaf (Leaf ahead)
Ivan Rabb (Rabb behind)

Behind Lydon:
Tyler Dorsey
Dwayne Bacon
Isaiah Briscoe
Jawun Evans
Austin Nichols
LJ Peak
Kobi Simmons
Edmund Sumner
Trevor Thompson
Melo Trimble
Omer Yurtseven

If we go just based off who has signed with agents, I'd say Lydon is #17 right now. Add in international guys like Ntilikina and Lydon is probably #19 or 20. Add in guys that I expect to declare that would likely be ahead of Lydon:
Bam Adebayo
Josh Jackson
Justin Jackson
Miles Bridges
and now Lydon is at #23 or 24.

Realistically, I think he goes somewhere in the 20-30 range.

Regarding some of the players who've signed with agents/may still in the draft:

Solidly ahead of Lydon:
Zach Collins
Jarrett Allen
OG Anunoby
Lonzo
John Collins
DeAaron Fox
Markelle Fultz
Jonathan Isaac
Lauri Markkanen
Malik Monk
Justin Patton
Dennis Smith
Jayson Tatum

In the mix with Lydon (my guess in parentheses):
Harry Giles (Giles ahead)
Luke Kennard (Kennard ahead)
TJ Leaf (Leaf ahead)
Ivan Rabb (Rabb behind)

Behind Lydon:
Tyler Dorsey
Dwayne Bacon
Isaiah Briscoe
Jawun Evans
Austin Nichols
LJ Peak
Kobi Simmons
Edmund Sumner
Trevor Thompson
Melo Trimble
Omer Yurtseven

If we go just based off who has signed with agents, I'd say Lydon is #17 right now. Add in international guys like Ntilikina and Lydon is probably #19 or 20. Add in guys that I expect to declare that would likely be ahead of Lydon:
Bam Adebayo
Josh Jackson
Justin Jackson
Miles Bridges
and now Lydon is at #23 or 24.

Realistically, I think he goes somewhere in the 20-30 range.

Solid analysis. Can't wait for you know who to comment

So the 3, 4, and 5 are all the same in our system? I see fans saying the same thing about the 3 and 4 on the recruiting board. I think he played the 5 because unfortunately he was our best defensive center, but I agree he wasn't great on the wing.

I just don't think it matters all that much on offense, since we are going to play him in the spot that we think is the best fit, regardless of what position he's labeled at. It's not like he played the 5 and hung out in the paint all game long. He was moved around all over the court in the hopes of creating either a mismatch on the outside or a mismatch on the inside. We'd do the same thing if he was playing the 4.

DJ Wilson and Wagner. Ford projects them both as late first round picks. They haven't hired an agent yet I believe.

DJ Wilson and Wagner. Ford projects them both as late first round picks. They haven't hired an agent yet I believe.

Yeah, guys like that are why I left some margin of error in my guess. Personally, I think Lydon goes before those two even if they stay in the draft, but it's possible that guys like them push Lydon down closer to #30.

On the flip side, Miles Bridges returning to Michigan State bumps Lydon up a spot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom