Lydon to hire agent and enter NBA draft | Page 39 | Syracusefan.com

Lydon to hire agent and enter NBA draft

if you have lottery potential and jump early only to be taken second round...i seriously question your motives.
If you're 21, have played two years of college basketball, have a great chance to be taken at the end of the first round and have confidence in your abilities, you should enter the draft.

You are unlikely to appreciably improve your position by returning, but you do run the risk of playing yourself completely out of the first two rounds in a draft that is now dominated by college underclassmen and young foreign talent.

Crazy to look at the mock draft on nbadraft.net, and the lottery is 13 freshmen, and one international. Lydon was better off going last year. He will still go in the 1st, so he's fine. Hopefully, he is drafted by a good organization. I'm hoping the Magic snag him, after getting Fox, or Tatum. Nice tandem to roll with. Throw in White in the 2nd round, hah.

NBAdraft.net is trash. Draft express far superior.

he was a pre season naismith. you think that his stock dropped a bit this year and will drop even further next year ?

i you think his game will regress further next year then a few gm's may be tracking the same curve...

i you think his game will regress further next year then a few gm's may be tracking the same curve...
Who said his game will regress? It didn't this season, despite what some here believe, and it wouldn't if he returned. However, his attractiveness as an NBA prospect (due to his age and the dynamics of the draft in 2017) would likely not improve if he returned for another year of college basketball, even if he were to average 20ppg and 10rpg and lead SU to the Final Four.

so what you're saying he is not now and never will be a lottery pick. and best settle for the limited payday now.

No shot Lydon is taken in the first round. I'd bet a lot of money on it.

Not saying he shouldn't go - he can do what he wants. But honestly, if he wants to be drafted in the 1st round, next year would have been a heckuva lot better to try to be.

so what you're saying he is not now and never will be a lottery pick. and best settle for the limited payday now.
Don't put words in my mouth.

He projects at the back end of the first round right now. That's not a "limited payday."

If he were to kill it at the combine, he could move into a late lottery spot.

Who said his game will regress? It didn't this season, despite what some here believe, and it wouldn't if he returned. However, his attractiveness as an NBA prospect (due to his age and the dynamics of the draft in 2017) would likely not improve if he returned for another year of college basketball, even if he were to average 20ppg and 10rpg and lead SU to the Final Four.

Not a comment on whether I think he should have declared or not. However, while I don't think his game really regressed (although his assertiveness/aggressiveness sure did), I don't think his game progressed all that much either.

Not a comment on whether I think he should have declared or not. However, while I don't think his game really regressed (although his assertiveness/aggressiveness sure did), I don't think his game progressed all that much either.
That's fair. I do think his development was somewhat compromised by nagging injuries and some sub-par point guard play though.

That's fair. I do think his development was somewhat compromised by nagging injuries and some sub-par point guard play though.

Yeah I could see those as components of it

Lots of scouts here, but based on the comments I am going to guess that few people watched the scouting video I posted.

No shot Lydon is taken in the first round. I'd bet a lot of money on it.

Not saying he shouldn't go - he can do what he wants. But honestly, if he wants to be drafted in the 1st round, next year would have been a heckuva lot better to try to be.
How much money?

Obviously TJ Leaf is a much better prospect but I'll be very interested to see how he compares with DJ Wilson and Wagner and who goes where. Ford said both are entering the draft and both are late first round guys.

In all seriousness, I'd be very surprised if he's drafted in the 1st round. Pleasantly surprised - I hope he is. But surprised none the less.

Not sure why. Outside of ESPN pretty much every mock has him in the first round.

I don't think he would be a lottery pick. At this point, I feel once you are projected as a first round pick, your chance of moving up by staying isn't that great.

He's a PF who is continually forced to play Center for us and has game that's predicated upon good point guard play.

-We didn't have a pg last year and currently don't have one for next year.

-Given the defense we play and personnel we have, who knows if he'd be forced back to the 5 once the season gets going.

-He may have a decent post game but we'll never know because we don't enter the ball into the post.

He has a chance to be a first round pick and his game translates better to the NBA than college.

Feelings about his, and the teams, lackluster past season aside... why exactly should he come back?

Answer: He shouldn't.

Last edited:
if you have lottery potential and jump early only to be taken second round...i seriously question your motives.

If Lydon is believed to have lottery potential, he'll be taken in the lottery or very shortly thereafter. He doesn't and he won't be. There's a lot of teams picking in the 20-30 range that could use him though.

He has his warts, but with Lydon, you're getting a guy with a PF's size (needs to build up more strength though), one of the best catch-and-shoot guys in the entire draft, good athleticism for a PF, a high IQ, and a guy that will stay within himself. He'll garner a pretty good amount of interest in today's NBA.

Zach Collins of Gonzaga just declared for the draft. I would say that knocks Lydon down one more notch on the draft order. I agree with those that say Lydon's game did not regress this year, just that it did not improve that much from his Freshman year. If you want to blame it on his teammates feel free to do so. I would love to see Lydon on the SU team next year but it's difficult to turn down 1st round money.

NBAdraft.net is trash. Draft express far superior.

Fair enough. Still, they have 12 freshmen, one international, and a JR. Justin Jackson. Only point is it's crazy that the top picks are all one and dones. That's basically why Lydon has to go. Unless he turns into Justin Jackson as a Junior, then he probably isn't going up in the draft.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom