Mack Brown | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Mack Brown

I mean it certainly smells fishy...

however once one solid recruit domino falls, more tend to follow suit, especially if they can see potential...thus why it’s been so important for us to hit a homerun with a couple recruits...just hasn’t happened yet sadly...

He must be smarter in person than he sounded announcing football games. I wondered how he ever became a coach with the repetitive generic "analysis" he gave.

Seriously what the heck is going on in Chapel Hill, how is this basketball school now killing it in football? You cant tell me its because of the Jordan logo on their uniforms! Mack Brown isn't a spring chicken who kids want to play for and doesn't run some exotic scheme to get kids to the NFL.

They have recruiting networks in the south and he knows them personally, and a lot of those people owe Mack favors,

Seriously what the heck is going on in Chapel Hill, how is this basketball school now killing it in football? You cant tell me its because of the Jordan logo on their uniforms! Mack Brown isn't a spring chicken who kids want to play for and doesn't run some exotic scheme to get kids to the NFL.

I think Mack has always been regarded as a good recruiter. It was just the recruiting rankings weren't translating to the on-field rankings at the end in Texas

I think Mack has always been regarded as a good recruiter. It was just the recruiting rankings weren't translating to the on-field rankings at the end in Texas
That and he committed the UT unpardonable sin of not beating OU annually. Especially when OU was contending annually for championships. UT does not like sharing the spotlight in any way.

I think kids are realizing they can stay home. Play for a great brand that is UNC (not just Unc football). A great coach (as a person) And actually play as opposed to going to bigger schools and sitting around. There’s no doubt mack can recruit and it’s showing.

I think kids are realizing they can stay home. Play for a great brand that is UNC (not just Unc football). A great coach (as a person) And actually play as opposed to going to bigger schools and sitting around. There’s no doubt mack can recruit and it’s showing.
Mack has always been able to recruit against anybody. Even before his final 2 UNC teams his first time, Mack amassed the talent to get to par with UVA under Welsh as his peak, and have Bobby Bowden say, many times, that UNC was a sleeping giant in football. Mack's final 2 UNC teams were about 2 top[ players on each side of the ball from topping FSU, which meant being in the National Championship hunt. Almost all that talent then came from NC, VA, and SC, with scattered players from the rest of the ACC and a couple other states.

NC for years has produced more than enough top talent for a team to load up on and win the ACC and be in the National hunt. But for that talent to stay in state, UNC would need a great HC. Clearly, lots of NC players want to remain at home, and Mack now makes that viable.

SEC schools primarily, with schools like ND and PSU occasionally, have been the beneficiaries of so many top NC players leaving the ACC. Every league needs to keep the clear majority of the top HS players from its states in the league. When that does not happen, the league lacks talent to get to and remain at the top. Now that UNC is getting top NC players to stay in state, the ACC is showing that more schools than just Clemson, FSU, Miami (and maybe VT) can keep top local players at home. That kind of recruiting success can reverberate across a conference.

Which is exactly what ACC football needs.The goal should be to have 4 or 5 ranked teams every year, 1 of them in the playoff.

Syracuse does not the luxury of local talent. But Syracuse can benefit from the rise in the ACC generally, as well as from schools like UNC keeping top NC players in the ACC. When UNC lands, say, 10 4* NC recruits in a class it would not have gotten under Fedora, then UNC cannot sign 10 quality 3* recruits it would have under Fedora. Those 10 3* recruits are available.

I think much the same works with OH recruits. OH still produces a great deal of talent, but OSU recruits nationally, getting 5* and/or high 4* recruits from multiple states each class. That means that a ton of high 3* OH players cannot go to the 1 P5 school in their state. I think Cuse, BC, Pitt, and Louisville all should recruit OH widely every year, selling the ACC as more fun to play in than the Big Ten. Why play in bad weather in West Lafayette in the boring BT when you can play in the Carrier Dome and in a bunch of stadiums in the southeast?

HS coaches in NC love Mack above any other coach in the history of CFB. Even HS coaches who are NCSU grads or played for NCSU grads seem to adore Mack.

The problem for UNC starting in about 2024 will be his successor. Who will it be, and will he be able to maintain the momentum?

In his first go around, Mack left a team that was 11-1 and ranked #5. Two years later, UNC was 3-8 with a loss to a 1AA team.Carl Torbush was a terrible hire, and he was followed by perhaps an even worse hire: John Bunting.

There's courses for horses.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom