Mack Brown | Syracusefan.com

Mack Brown

Fjoinkay

Starter
and his Tar Heels wrapped a successful season yesterday which was great to see. The Tar Heels' offense had been the strength of that team all season, which was a bit inverted if you recall those great Mack Brown defenses back in the day during his first go as head coach in Chapel Hill. But yesterday the Carolina defense showed up in a big way. You have to wonder if those extra bowl practices were all coach Brown needed to tweak that defense to get them going. What a difference a year can make, and with Mack Brown at the helm you can bet that it is being done the right way. He's a class act, and now in his second act in Chapel Hill he has a chance turn that program around for a second time. That is not an easy thing to do, but he is making it look easy.

Going into the New Era Pinstripe Bowl I thought Wake Forest matched up really well with Michigan State especially with a healthy Jamie Newman playing QB for the Demon Deacons. I wasn't so sure that the Spartans' defense could contain Wake's offense enough to eek out a W especially considering how the Spartans' offense has consistently shot itself in the foot all season long. It turned out that notwithstanding some shaky Spartan offense in the red zone where they struggled all year, they were able to win time of possession by over 11 minutes and grind out nearly 500 yards of offense. The Spartans entered the game averaging just 361 yards of offense per game. They also surpassed their scoring average yesterday by 5 points despite leaving several points on the field with turnovers in the red zone. On the flip side, even with Jamie Newman Wake's offense struggled and couldn't find answers. They scored 11 points fewer than their season average and they managed just 349 yards of offense while entering the game averaging 473 yards per game.

The San Diego County Credit Union Holiday Bowl was another great matchup as long as USC had a healthy Kedon Slovis playing QB. This season when Slovis ran the USC offensive the Trojans were very hard to beat. He has a bright future as long as he can stay healthy. Iowa may not have faced a QB at Slovis' level all season, and yesterday it was apparent how good Slovis is and how important he is to USC well into the 3rd quarter when unfortunately he had to leave the game with an apparent shoulder injury. At that time USC had scored 24 points against an Iowa defense that during the season had surrendered just 13 points a game. After Slovis left the game, however, USC didn't score another point.

Meanwhile, Iowa finished with 49 points. The Hawkeyes entered the game averaging just 24 points a game. The best defense USC had against the Hawkeyes' ball control offense was a surprise onside kick early in the third quarter. Other than that Iowa had it's way on offense. The yards aren't impressive, but the Hawkeyes executed and controlled the ball while scoring points. Kirk Ferentz has done a masterful job at Iowa over a span of more than 2 decades now. He is a total class act and a joy to see. A year ago in the Outback Bowl the Hawkeyes beat a good Mississippi State team with a great defense, and this season Iowa played a really difficult schedule and managed to get 10 wins. They don't have 5 stars or many 4 stars, but they are more athletic than people realize and they are really well coached, obviously.

The Academy Sports Outdoors Texas Bowl was a game where you had to wonder if Oklahoma State would be able to score enough points to beat Texas A&M because surely the Cowboys' defense would not be able to stop the Aggies offense especially with Jimbo Fisher as the coach. Well, as it turns out the Oklahoma State offense was not able to score enough points, but surprisingly the Texas A&M offense just managed to score enough points of their own to secure the win. This game turned out to be a battle of defenses. Earlier in the college football season I felt like I saw some improvement in the Big 12 defenses I saw being played, and I posted about this. The improvement I saw then wasn't saying much because Big 12 defenses have been really bad for quite some time now, but it did seem improved. Anyway, yesterday, at the very least, the defense that OK State played against Jimbo Fisher's Aggies is clearly an improvement for Cowboys over past years.

That said, the Texas A&M defense won the day. They held the Cowboys to just 21 points which is well below their season average of 33 points per game. And they also held OK State to 334 yards of offense which again is well below the 463 yards they averaged per game. What about the Texas A&M offense? The OK State defense held the Aggies to 24 points which is below their season average of 30 points per game and everyone knows that the Aggies play in the SEC against SEC defenses. They also held Texas A&M to 343 yards of offense when the Aggies averaged nearly 400 yards per game.

Unfortunately, I was unable to watch the Cheez-It Bowl between Air Force and Washington State.

I won't miss any games today though that is for sure!

Go Cuse!!

and his Tar Heels wrapped a successful season yesterday which was great to see. The Tar Heels' offense had been the strength of that team all season, which was a bit inverted if you recall those great Mack Brown defenses back in the day during his first go as head coach in Chapel Hill. But yesterday the Carolina defense showed up in a big way. You have to wonder if those extra bowl practices were all coach Brown needed to tweak that defense to get them going. What a difference a year can make, and with Mack Brown at the helm you can bet that it is being done the right way. He's a class act, and now in his second act in Chapel Hill he has a chance turn that program around for a second time. That is not an easy thing to do, but he is making it look easy.
Why would North Carolina being a success at anything be great to see?

Going into the New Era Pinstripe Bowl I thought Wake Forest matched up really well with Michigan State especially with a healthy Jamie Newman playing QB for the Demon Deacons. I wasn't so sure that the Spartans' defense could contain Wake's offense enough to eek out a W especially considering how the Spartans' offense has consistently shot itself in the foot all season long. It turned out that notwithstanding some shaky Spartan offense in the red zone where they struggled all year, they were able to win time of possession by over 11 minutes and grind out nearly 500 yards of offense. The Spartans entered the game averaging just 361 yards of offense per game. They also surpassed their scoring average yesterday by 5 points despite leaving several points on the field with turnovers in the red zone. On the flip side, even with Jamie Newman Wake's offense struggled and couldn't find answers. They scored 11 points fewer than their season average and they managed just 349 yards of offense while entering the game averaging 473 yards per game.

The San Diego County Credit Union Holiday Bowl was another great matchup as long as USC had a healthy Kedon Slovis playing QB. This season when Slovis ran the USC offensive the Trojans were very hard to beat. He has a bright future as long as he can stay healthy. Iowa may not have faced a QB at Slovis' level all season, and yesterday it was apparent how good Slovis is and how important he is to USC well into the 3rd quarter when unfortunately he had to leave the game with an apparent shoulder injury. At that time USC had scored 24 points against an Iowa defense that during the season had surrendered just 13 points a game. After Slovis left the game, however, USC didn't score another point.

Meanwhile, Iowa finished with 49 points. The Hawkeyes entered the game averaging just 24 points a game. The best defense USC had against the Hawkeyes' ball control offense was a surprise onside kick early in the third quarter. Other than that Iowa had it's way on offense. The yards aren't impressive, but the Hawkeyes executed and controlled the ball while scoring points. Kirk Ferentz has done a masterful job at Iowa over a span of more than 2 decades now. He is a total class act and a joy to see. A year ago in the Outback Bowl the Hawkeyes beat a good Mississippi State team with a great defense, and this season Iowa played a really difficult schedule and managed to get 10 wins. They don't have 5 stars or many 4 stars, but they are more athletic than people realize and they are really well coached, obviously.

The Academy Sports Outdoors Texas Bowl was a game where you had to wonder if Oklahoma State would be able to score enough points to beat Texas A&M because surely the Cowboys' defense would not be able to stop the Aggies offense especially with Jimbo Fisher as the coach. Well, as it turns out the Oklahoma State offense was not able to score enough points, but surprisingly the Texas A&M offense just managed to score enough points of their own to secure the win. This game turned out to be a battle of defenses. Earlier in the college football season I felt like I saw some improvement in the Big 12 defenses I saw being played, and I posted about this. The improvement I saw then wasn't saying much because Big 12 defenses have been really bad for quite some time now, but it did seem improved. Anyway, yesterday, at the very least, the defense that OK State played against Jimbo Fisher's Aggies is clearly an improvement for Cowboys over past years.

That said, the Texas A&M defense won the day. They held the Cowboys to just 21 points which is well below their season average of 33 points per game. And they also held OK State to 334 yards of offense which again is well below the 463 yards they averaged per game. What about the Texas A&M offense? The OK State defense held the Aggies to 24 points which is below their season average of 30 points per game and everyone knows that the Aggies play in the SEC against SEC defenses. They also held Texas A&M to 343 yards of offense when the Aggies averaged nearly 400 yards per game.

Unfortunately, I was unable to watch the Cheez-It Bowl between Air Force and Washington State.

I won't miss any games today though that is for sure!

Go Cuse!!

they had a similar amount of one score games as the year before and won some this year

he does get credit for their QB

UNC had numerous mass amount of injury the last two years, but had always recruited well.

There was talent, and then Mack brought in a big time staff backed by engaged boo$ter$$$$

Build what? He’s almost 70.

His age has nothing to do with what he can do as long as he wants. Bill Snyder put Kansas State back into the national spotlight in his late 60s.

And if you watched the ESPN post-game coverage, you found out that Mack's the best old-guy dancer since Al McGuire, circa 1996! What's not great about that?

Curious is there an "I could give two @ts" board here at Syracusefan that allows Syracuse fans(s) to discuss their love for N. Carolina of all teams? A friend was asking...:rolleyes: I clicked on this thinking he died or something...

Mack Brown certainly had a better year than I expected. He obviously knows way more about football than his commentary showed when he worked for ESPN.

14 in state recruits if I counted right.

Why would North Carolina being a success at anything be great to see?
Because that is good for the ACC.

Each conference has a team, or two, maybe three, that serve that role. When such a team is riding high, the league benefits; when such a team is down, the league is going to be perceived widely as being down. UNC is to the ACC as Texas was to the SWC and is to the Big XII.

What is most important in all that for the ACC is that UNC football hasn't won the ACC since 1980. In 1981, Ara Parseghian praised ACC football and predicted that the Clemson 10-8 win over UNC could mean the National Championship for Clemson. When the old CFB TV monopoly (that was largely controlled by the Big Ten for the benefit of the Big Ten and the Pac) was broken, the first CBS national broadcast was UNC at Pitt, with sports writers and TV talking heads stressing the rise of ACC football.

If UNC gets its football house in order and starts winning as a matter of course, the ACC will gain in stature with the media and with CFB fans from outside the ACC area.

I understand why especially Dook and NCSU fans but also fans of other ACC schools hate even thinking that could be true. But it is, just like it is true of Texas and the Big XII, Bama and the SEC, Ohio St and the Big Ten, USC and the Pac.

The ACC is the only major conference in which its 'IT school' has never won, never played for, a National Championship in football, the biggest and most important sport. UNC's football neglectfulness has hurt the entire ACC.

Crazy thing is it’ll only get better at UNC. Their recruiting class is pretty crazy. 7 four star players. Never underestimate the power of the Jordan Brand. Truly wish SU would get there one day with Melo as ambassador. It’s a huge recruiting tool

Crazy thing is it’ll only get better at UNC. Their recruiting class is pretty crazy. 7 four star players. Never underestimate the power of the Jordan Brand. Truly wish SU would get there one day with Melo as ambassador. It’s a huge recruiting tool

Yeah we screwed up last negotiations not angling for this.

Could have been a boost. Our brand name has never been lower. No one gets drafted in football and the 10 win throwback season was meaningless for recruiting and our basketball team only has 4 good players one an ecu transfer one coaches kid who was kinda a walk-on skinny Slovakian and Girard everyone else on scholarship is useless and should be told to transfer.

Fedora couldn't coach. UNC lost a number of close games. Mack is going to build something at UNC.

Fedora's 2015 team went 11-3 and gave Clemson all they could handle in the ACC title game. Was he doing any coaching then?

UNC has always gotten that caliber of player and had good to great recruiting classes. Their issue has been coaching and scheme, they have always had excellent talent.

EDIT - Would love to swap rosters with them and keep Dino as head coach.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom