Major League Soccer | Syracusefan.com

Major League Soccer

longislandcuse

Living Legend
I was at a friends house last night and before we all went out to the bars we had on the San Jose Earthquakes vs LA Galaxy MLS game. A couple things I noticed.

A) This game was insanely exciting. 4-3 San Jose win with David Beckham scoring off a set piece, a corner kick finish that was beautiful by Bernardes(?), some sloppy play with the defenses not impressing anyone but a very good player on San Jose in Chris Wondolowski, who had a goal and had me wondering if hes going to be on any National teams (USA or Poland), the guy can play! The game finished with a brawl almost breaking out and David Beckham going H.A.M. on everyone.

B) The game was played in a sold out stadium in front of 50,000 people....50,000 people! I had no idea a MLS game could generate that kind of turnout. Ive caught a couple games in the past on ESPN, and it seems to me that the West Coast teams have some serious fan support. Seattle, Portland, LA and San Jose all play in front of big, rowdy crowds. To anyone who follows MLS, is this a false assumption or reality? I never hear anything about the Red Bulls (stupidest name ever) in NY, even though they showed the standings and they were in 2nd place. Is there a bigger fanbase out West compared to the East?

C) Read an interview with Beckham in which he said he has a few years left and is determined to make MLS a relevant league and said people in Europe are starting to follow and talk about it. Watching the Euro Cup and some of the Champions League games has me really hoping soccer eventually takes off in this country. It really is a fun sport to watch and the games out west seem really fun to go to, but you have to have the fan support. Anyone think we can ever generate enough interest here or is it a case where any good player we do have will go to Europe so we will be stuck with up and coming players who eventually leave and aging Euro-stars who are looking for a payday and a chance to extend their career while living in America, coupled with the obvious hurdle that Football/Basketball/Baseball will always be more popular.

Wondo is already on US. Was on the team for the qualifiers.

The skill obviously is the level of top europe league...but if you watch the Seattle/Portland game last week...that was some great stuff. Two teams/fanbases that hate each others guts. That's going to be fun to watch in upcoming years

Here in LA, the Galaxy still get little buzz outside of their hardcore fanbase. Chivas USA, they should prob fold that up.

A. Wondolowski is an MLS scoring machine. He got a few great opportunities to impress in the Gold Cup last year and couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat.

B. MLS outdraws NHL.

C. Top players will always go to Europe. Those guys make more, on average, than any professional sports league in the USA.

I was at a friends house last night and before we all went out to the bars we had on the San Jose Earthquakes vs LA Galaxy MLS game. A couple things I noticed.

A) This game was insanely exciting. 4-3 San Jose win with David Beckham scoring off a set piece, a corner kick finish that was beautiful by Bernardes(?), some sloppy play with the defenses not impressing anyone but a very good player on San Jose in Chris Wondolowski, who had a goal and had me wondering if hes going to be on any National teams (USA or Poland), the guy can play! The game finished with a brawl almost breaking out and David Beckham going H.A.M. on everyone.

B) The game was played in a sold out stadium in front of 50,000 people....50,000 people! I had no idea a MLS game could generate that kind of turnout. Ive caught a couple games in the past on ESPN, and it seems to me that the West Coast teams have some serious fan support. Seattle, Portland, LA and San Jose all play in front of big, rowdy crowds. To anyone who follows MLS, is this a false assumption or reality? I never hear anything about the Red Bulls (stupidest name ever) in NY, even though they showed the standings and they were in 2nd place. Is there a bigger fanbase out West compared to the East?

C) Read an interview with Beckham in which he said he has a few years left and is determined to make MLS a relevant league and said people in Europe are starting to follow and talk about it. Watching the Euro Cup and some of the Champions League games has me really hoping soccer eventually takes off in this country. It really is a fun sport to watch and the games out west seem really fun to go to, but you have to have the fan support. Anyone think we can ever generate enough interest here or is it a case where any good player we do have will go to Europe so we will be stuck with up and coming players who eventually leave and aging Euro-stars who are looking for a payday and a chance to extend their career while living in America, coupled with the obvious hurdle that Football/Basketball/Baseball will always be more popular.

As has been mentioned, Wondo is already on the World Cup qualifying roster, and frankly I wish he wasn't. He's taking the spot of some of our younger talents, and he's been absolute garbage on the international level.

I did like seeing the near brawl at the end last night, and I'll also admit that while I can't stand Wondo, that heel flick goal he scored was beautiful.

the mls has come a long way in a short time. a lot of good central american and some south american players are being drawn to the league. the youth development in this country is getting better. right now all us football fans need to keep a close eye on the euro debt crisis.. i think the general weakening is going to significantly impact the ability of the european powers borrowing capabilities. the influx of american owners is the beginning of a bigger problem around many clubs debt. that coupled by the improved level of competition in the mls spells a great opportunity for football(soccer) in this country.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom