Major upset alert | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Major upset alert

Other than Duke, UNC, Nova and Pitt, you're listing a bunch of bubble teams...and Pitt is on the verge of becoming one. BC is worse than Duquesne, so we're really not in a position to laugh. That's all I'm saying.

The Shockers were in the Final Four last year, so it's not like they came out of nowhere. SLU remains their best win, but that's a quality win.
Boston college would be favored by 2 over Duquesne on a neutral court but I get your drift

Edit. That was before last night. Dang you might be right.

Sheesh, we just lost to BC a week ago.

"We" also have wins over UNC, Villanova, St. John's, Duke, Pitt x2, Cal, Baylor before they fell apart. Unlike most here, I like Wichita an have no problem with them getting a 1. But their best win, the one they've hung their hat on...we have at least two wins that are light years better than that.

And for someone who used "we" in talking about Syracuse, you seem to be doing some work to tear us down while building others up.

Other than Duke, UNC, Nova and Pitt, you're listing a bunch of bubble teams...and Pitt is on the verge of becoming one. BC is worse than Duquesne, so we're really not in a position to laugh. That's all I'm saying.

The Shockers were in the Final Four last year, so it's not like they came out of nowhere. SLU remains their best win, but that's a quality win.

Dec 14th is the last time the shockers played a team that has a remote chance of making the tournament. I am sorry, they have no business being even in the discussion for a #1. Again, not saying they are not a decent team but just because they were the cinderella that ironically beat another #1 that had no business being a #1(Zags) does not mean that they deserve a #1 THIS year for what they did last year. MOSU had them nearly beat earlier this year, I am hoping they can somehow pull it off this sat so we can put an end to this silliness.

It's laughable to put St.Louis and Witch in the same discussion as a Cuse, Florida, Duke etc...the "bad" teams those teams play in conf would easily be top 3 in the conf that St.Loius and Witch play in and would likely have the ability to pull off upsets. I wouldn't bet against a team like Miami, NC State, Maryland or Clemson to necessarily lose to those two teams...especially if they are playing at home.

beating 4 tourny locks and 5 bubble teams destroys the shockers resume.

My favorite new trend:
People rushing to the defense of Wichita St, as if offended at the very notion that there are any questions about how good they actually are… and frantically grasping at air to prop up their schedule to this point.

It's laughable to put St.Louis and Witch in the same discussion as a Cuse, Florida, Duke etc...the "bad" teams those teams play in conf would easily be top 3 in the conf that St.Loius and Witch play in and would likely have the ability to pull off upsets. I wouldn't bet against a team like Miami, NC State, Maryland or Clemson to necessarily lose to those two teams...especially if they are playing at home.

First off I don't disagree with premise that Wichita St has not proved they are a #1. The only argument they have is bad losses, which many top 25 teams do have.

But the bolded comment is really inaccurate. The Tech's (Virginia and Georgia), BC, Wake would defintely not get in the top 4 in the A-10... and the middle pack would have a hard time as well, much less "easily" top 3.

The top 4 in the A-10 is St. Louis, VCU, UMass and GW. They are a combined 7-2 vs the ACC. So I am not certain why the bottom of the ACC pack would "easily" rise to the top of the A-10.

UMass is 5-1 against power conference teams (including BE and AAC), and 2-1 against ACC.

VCU is 3-1 vs the ACC.

GW is 2-0 vs the ACC, 4-2 vs power conferences including a win over Creighton.

Those are 4 pretty good teams.

My favorite new trend:
People rushing to the defense of Wichita St, as if offended at the very notion that there are any questions about how good they actually are… and frantically grasping at air to prop up their schedule to this point.

I am sure I am one of the people this is aimed at. I have never said there is no questions about how good Wichita St is, or tried to prop up their schedule.

But if someone is saying that "easily" 15 teams would be undefeated with that schedule, or that a bottom ACC team is "easily" a top 3 team in the A-10, than what is the problem with calling that out. I am a Syracuse and college basketball fan.

You use your eyes after all - you can see the bad losses that have occurred this year. You can see how good the top A-10 teams did against the ACC.

Although to be honest, I do spend a lot of time (too much??) on various aspects of Wichita St's season... no doubt.

It's OK though, like Jordoo, me and you (Pearl) will never fully agree on this topic... but we will defend anybody that takes a shot at Syracuse and take shots at our foes. It's all good.

Although to be honest, I do spend a lot of time (too much??) on various aspects of Wichita St's season... no doubt.
nah, you obviously do tons of research and are well informed - wasn't aiming my post at you - more at the talking heads during games on TV going to great lengths to stick up for poor, misunderstood WSU

I'm more concerned about Alsacs. If Wichita St ends up undefeated and for some surprising reason gets the #1 overall seed, he's going to go nuts, and we may lose a good poster going forward!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom