Making a Case for Both QBs | Syracusefan.com

Making a Case for Both QBs

All4SU

Duos Cultores Scientia Coronat et Go Aureum
The PS articles this morning making a case for each of the two QBs were pretty interesting. Does Allen's ability to stretch the field with a bigger arm give him an advantage? Or does Hunt's ability to not hurt SU through a better short, controlled passing game give him an advantage because it plays into the skill set of our receivers? Is Allen at least proficient enough on his feet to not have that hurt his chances? Is Hunt that. Much more mobile that it helps him?

My questions are Is MCDonald more of a gunslinger OC than Hackett who had a more pro mentality? Does that favor Allen? Or Hunt? Are our receivers really so vertical-field challenged? Are their hands so bad? And if so doesn't that affect the short passing game just as much? I'm coming around to agreeing with those who say it will be Allen, not because he was brought in to start. He may well have been brought in to compete and be an insurance policy at minimum. I just think it's going to come down to who makes decisions quickest and acts on them. I think Allen's extra experience will aid him greatly in that regard.

Or go with the best athlete in the area code, Ashton Broyld.

Mental first good decisions are key, passing skills second

I question whether Hunt is better at a short, controlled passing game than Allen.

I've been in the Allen camp all along because there's just no possible way that Hunt has put the time in on the football field that Allen has. Allen is a more mature football player. For Hunt to beat that out, his athletic edge would have to be so overwhelming. I'm not even sure he's a better athlete than Hunt.