Malachi Richardson has died of dysentery

Discussion in 'Syracuse Basketball Board' started by Czar, Jan 10, 2017.

1. djcon57

djcon57 All American

Totally disagree.

Look at a guy like Westbrook and how he's developed his shot.
    Whiteside, Giannis, Rudy Gobert, Myles Turner. There's plenty.

There can only be so many elite players. Guys that don't make it, maybe they just aren't that good?

Just as an example. After multiple years in the NBA, MCW still can't shoot at an elite level clip. The idea that if he stayed one more year at Cuse he'd be a good shooter? I just don't buy it.

2. Cuse House

Cuse House All Conference

Truest statement I have read. The reality is, there are 30 first round picks. Maybe 5-1o of them find longevity in the league. Unlike the NFL where there are so many positions and a much shorter career life, NBA teams can play 5 guys, and stars will play for 10-20 years. The turnover of players that have already made it is much lower and guys really need to distinguish themselves. The NBA is the hardest pro league in my opinion, to stick on a roster.

3. HOFCeluck

HOFCeluck Last name ever. First name greatest.

How is the NBA a "joke of a league?". It can't be level of play, since it makes college ball look like a shtshow. It's not fan support, since they just signed a huge TV deal and NBA attendance set a record last season.

I don't know. They seem to be doing a lot right.

44cuse and OrangeDW like this.
  4. two3zone

two3zone Hall of Fame

I've lived around the country, the only people that think the NBA is a joke from what I've seen are Syracuse fans. The city is pretty much has no ties to an NBA team and is so invested into the Orange that they have no reason to be. And in true Syracuse fashion if it's not something they love then the blinders come on and hate spews out.

5. FrancoPizza

FrancoPizza Starter

Serious question: have they made -or considered a remake - of the Oregon trail for smartphones or the PS4?

6. STEVEHOLT

STEVEHOLT There are FIVE letter in the name BLAIN.

This is not true. Syracuse fans tend to be fans of the Knicks. If you are basing your idea of what the NBA is on the Knicks, I can see why someone would think the NBA isn't that great a thing.

7. OrangeDW

OrangeDW Hall of Fame

No idea, but that would be great. I've only played the original version as a kid. Loved that game.

SUskibum and NineOneSeven like this.
  8. OrangeDW

OrangeDW Hall of Fame

The league is great. I know people who dislike the NBA that have been tossing the same criticisms out for the last 15 years...while at the same time they haven't actually really watched in 15 years either. When they do catch part of a game, they'll look for the first thing wrong and harp on it and use it as proof that the whole league sucks, and talk about how much better it used to be. Seeing what they want to see, basically.

The league is way better now than it was for most of the 90's, which some people weirdly harp on as some golden era.

two3zone likes this.
  9. Briancuse

Briancuse Living Legend

Its great in the playoffs, the problem is there is no parity,there are two teams that can win a title, and the season is way too long. I remember back in the late 80's and early 90's, the product was so much better, I would watch every game that I could.

10. cuseinseattle

cuseinseattle All Conference

The difference between the value of the Boston Red Sox and Boston Celtics is 600 million. Fan support, are you even serious. The LA Lakers play in a facility that holds 19k people. The Seattle Seahawks play in a facility that holds 67,000. Syracuse could sell out Staples a few times.

11. OrangeDW

OrangeDW Hall of Fame

It's gotten that way this year, but the West was legitimately loaded the previous 5 years or so and there was not a consensus favorite. Depending on the year you had OKC, San Antonio, GS, the Clippers looking like real contenders. Even the Rockets won a ton of games a few years ago, when Portland knocked them out round 1. The East has been the Lebron show after since the Celtics got old.

Late 80s- very early 90's, sure. Most of the 90s the quality of ball wasn't as good as it is now, and a lot of the most talented players who should've been the next ones to step up and carry the league didn't fully hit...our own DC, Penny, Hill, LJ, Kemp, Manning, K. Anderson, etc...fantastic players at their peaks who didn't have nearly the careers they could have for various reasons. Throw Webber in there to a lesser extent too.

12. djcon57

djcon57 All American

What the hell is going on here?

13. djcon57

djcon57 All American

Yeah man, anytime you had Wayman Tisdale's Sacramento Kings vs the Roy Hinson led Nets in 1989 you just had to be watching! Imagine the ISO play!!

14. two3zone

two3zone Hall of Fame

So Syracuse had more fan support than the Lakers?

15. Eric15

Eric15 Living Legend

Obviously you're entitled to your opinion, but the NBA is not a joke. The level of play right now is unbelievably high -- probably the best it's ever been.

16. Eric15

Eric15 Living Legend

I would ballpark guess that the ratio of Laker-to-Syracuse fans nationally is about 50 to 1.

Briancuse likes this.
  17. Briancuse

Briancuse Living Legend

Those were two really bad teams. There have always been bad teams, the kings and nets today are both pathetic.

18. orange79

orange79 Internet Sleuth Staff Member

19. two3zone

two3zone Hall of Fame

Honestly, I'd gather 1000-1.

jgeorge322 likes this.
  20. cuseinseattle

A point was made about the NBA's new TV deal and how great it is. So I compared the estimated value of an NBA team to the estimated value of an MLB team. I then compared the attendance requirements of an NBA facility compared to an NFL facility. What is wrong with that? If you compare the NBA to the other two major sports leagues I think their player development and general value is far inferior.

21. cuseinseattle

Do you really believe that was the point I was making? It's not that hard to fill an 19k seat arena. Especially when you have one of the best brands in the NBA.

22. OrangeDW

OrangeDW Hall of Fame

Filling out the tombstone with inappropriate things brought me many 5th and 6th grade laughs.

23. OrangeDW

OrangeDW Hall of Fame

Can't compare basketball attendance to football attendance though, with the huge difference in number of games and also just how conducive the sport is to hosting large crowds.

two3zone likes this.
  24. HOFCeluck

HOFCeluck Last name ever. First name greatest.

So obvous.

25. two3zone

two3zone Hall of Fame

Then why would you even say it, I don't understand the point.