Malachi Richardson has died of dysentery | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Malachi Richardson has died of dysentery

I think 80's and 90's NBA was tremendously overrated. Outside of some of the stars, the skill level isn't what it is now. If you watch a classic game on NBA TV the celtics all teams did back then was pack the paint on D.

Offenses were different but those Lakers/Celtics teams were stacked.
They had HOFers as 6th men McHale/Mychal Thompson/McAdoo.

Also those teams had shooters where they could have used the 3 in today's game. Bird/Ainge/Scott/Cooper.

Those 80s Celtics/Lakers would dominate in today's NBA because of their high quality depth.
Lakers rotation
Magic, Scott, Worthy, Kareem, Cooper, Thompson, McAdoo, Rambis.
Celtics
Johnson, Ainge, Bird, McHale, Parrish, either Maxwell or Walton, Sichting, Wedman.

The 80s teams have inside and outside offense. Lebron maybe be able to beat them the Warriors nope.

Cooper and Rambis were completely ordinary role players. And Mychal Thompson isn't in the Hall of Fame -- he was never an All-Star once.

Bill Walton was a shell of himself when he played for Boston, averaging 7.6 points per game in 1986. And McHale was a starter throughout the prime of his career, not a 6th man.

also factor in the rules. how would the 80's C's and Lakers adapt to today's rules and refs, and vice versa for the Warriors

Comparing head to head matchups for teams 30 years apart is pointless. The games are too different to even bother.
Use your noggin. The warriors have proven themselves to be susceptible to physical rebounding teams. The Celtic had 3 guys averaging ten or more. What do YOU think would happen? And who is their answer to Worthy? Draymond Green? Please...How about Magic inside? Come on...you're smarter than this. I've read your posts. As great as Curry is, there is nobody he could guard on either team.

The three ball was still a new and relatively unused weapon in the early to mid-80s, where as today entire offenses are based around it. It's a more efficient way of getting points because players are such unbelievable outside shooters today. I just think people are irrationally nostalgic when it comes to MJ/Bird/Magic.

How would someone like Danny Ainge or Dennis Johnson possibly be able to keep Kyrie Irving in front of them. 30 years later, we are in a completely different era of athleticism.
Tell me how many of the last ten years Champions relied heavily on the three? Game. Set. Match. Golden State is the only one who has won a title relying so heavily on it. And BTW, Kyrie shoots 38% on less than 5 attempts in his career for 3s. Thats's less than 5.5 points/game. Ooooooo..scarey.

Tell me how many of the last ten years Champions relied heavily on the three? Game. Set. Match. Golden State is the only one who has won a title relying so heavily on it. And BTW, Kyrie shoots 38% on less than 5 attempts in his career for 3s. Thats's less than 5.5 points/game. Ooooooo..scarey.

I think the number of title teams dependent on the three is going to increase going forward, since that's how the league is going.

Use your noggin. The warriors have proven themselves to be susceptible to physical rebounding teams. The Celtic had 3 guys averaging ten or more. What do YOU think would happen? And who is their answer to Worthy? Draymond Green? Please...How about Magic inside? Come on...you're smarter than this. I've read your posts. As great as Curry is, there is nobody he could guard on either team.

The opposite is true too. Who is Magic guarding on Golden State? Nobody. GS goes to their "death lineup" and who is Kareem guarding? Neither team could guard the other...which is why cross era comparisions are stupid. Both teams were built to succeed in their own era.

The Cavs last year were 2nd in the league in threes made and 3rd in three point percentage. They relied heavily on it.

The Spurs led the league in 3 point % and were 12th in 3's made in 2014.

Huh? Kyrie is not just a good 3 point shooter, but is nearly unguaradable off the dribble and finishes at the rim as well as any 6'2 guard I've seen. He's got other weaknesses, but on that team his job is real simple...get buckets. He's good at it.

Cooper and Rambis were completely ordinary role players. And Mychal Thompson isn't in the Hall of Fame -- he was never an All-Star once.

Bill Walton was a shell of himself when he played for Boston, averaging 7.6 points per game in 1986. And McHale was a starter throughout the prime of his career, not a 6th man.

Cooper was legit. He'd actually fit in the league perfectly today. One of the original "3 and D" players. Rambis, I agree. He was just a hard nosed hustler. Great inbounds passed though, which was an underrated aspect of LA's running game. They could run after made baskets because he was so good at getting the ball out of the net and getting it in.

Thompson was solid. Maybe Brook Lopez level, but not in LA as he was older at that point.

I still enjoyed the RIVALRIES of the 80s/90s teams more than whatever ones there are now. I reckon that's subjective, but it's "my take" aka "The Backside". Maybe some folks enjoy whatever rivalries the Knicks have in the playoffs lately as much as the ones with the Bulls/Pacers, when that idiot Spike Lee helped inspire each of them to stick a dagger in our hearts, or whatever other brilliant ongoing rivalries there are between the Mighty Ducks or other teams exist today, but it's not my thing personally. I suppose it's not quite as bad as ice hockey in desert/tropical cities, but I still dont find it gripping. Of course it could be that I'm not 12 anymore and the pedestal of sport isnt quite as high...or likely a combo of all of the above.

I think the number of title teams dependent on the three is going to increase going forward, since that's how the league is going.

All I know is, I'm killing it in my fantasy league this year with guys like Klay, McCollum, Wes Mathews, Butler, Reddick, IThomas, Boogie and a bunch of scrubs. I guess the 3 pointer really is the wave of the league.

Players in today's day and age are much better than players of 30 years but that is mostly because of advancements in science, nutrition, and Strength and conditioning. It would be impossible to gauge if you transported teams from the 80s and 90s and give them that knowledge today if they could compete with the top tier NBA teams.

The Cavs last year were 2nd in the league in threes made and 3rd in three point percentage. They relied heavily on it.

Yeah... no idea what that post was about. And this year, it will likely be some team from Cleveland/GS/Houston/SA. The only one that doesn't rely quite as much on the 3 is SA.

Back from the dead:

undertaker-sitting-up.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom