Malachi Richardson to Israel | Syracusefan.com

Malachi Richardson to Israel

If he plays 5-8 more years overseas, he will probably max out at about $5-7M. And that is being generous.

Total career earnings of $10-12M.

If he stays one more year, is featured guy and gets taken #15 overall the following year, he could have made $12M with a 4-year contract.

It’s a gamble, and he may have made the right decision. But people saying he made a mistake are looking at it from this perspective.

Also, maybe that one extra year of being the guy allows him to develop better than the less structured pro way. Maybe he gets a second contract. Look at Dion Waiters. He wasn’t that much better than Malachi was in college, IMO.

There are worse places to play than Israel but when he decided to leave early if you told him he'd be playing in Israel right now hed prob be very disappointed.

There are worse places to play than Israel but when he decided to leave early if you told him he'd be playing in Israel right now hed prob be very disappointed.
Well, sure.

He's probably disappointed he's not an all-star too.

Most of the data suggests staying in school an extra year doesn't really improve your stock at all. He did the right thing. Best of luck to him this coming season.

Most of the data suggests staying in school an extra year doesn't really improve your stock at all. He did the right thing. Best of luck to him this coming season.

I don’t think anyone is still making the “improve your stock by staying in school” argument. At least I hope not.

I think some are saying if you come into the league more ready to play, you’re more likely to stick.

I do think that is valid in some cases. Not sure if it applies to Malachi or not. He’s had multiple shots with a few different organizations. And 4 year guys like Christmas and CJ Fair didn’t fair any better.

He might be an exception because his performance in the tournament put him on the draft map. We were all expecting a big leap his sophomore year. I think he would have moved up to the lottery. So more money and probably more opportunity as well.

Mali maxed out his potential being picked the first year here. He was and has remained an inefficient offensive player. Good decision by him originally leaving.

Malachi has some body control issues when going to the hole, if I remember. Seemed to have a very poor shooting % around the rim. Kinda like OB. He did draw fouls though.

I was hoping his outside shooting stroke would become consistent, because at times he shot the ball extremely well here. Thought he might be able to develop consistency there as he got older, and be a good pro. He could shoot them off the dribble a bit and could free himself up and get space pretty easily.

FWIW, pretty sure Malachi doesn’t regret leaving when he did. He said something about this on Twitter not too long ago. How everybody wants to get to the NBA and if you’ve got that chance, you’ve gotta take it when it’s there.

He gave his opinion that Battle should’ve left earlier too.

Of course, some here and on twitter took offense like how could you not want to play at SYRACUSE forever???!!

FWIW, pretty sure Malachi doesn’t regret leaving when he did. He said something about this on Twitter not too long ago. How everybody wants to get to the NBA and if you’ve got that chance, you’ve gotta take it when it’s there.

Of course, some here and on twitter took offense like how could you not want to play at SYRACUSE forever???!!
He probably didn’t expect to playing in Israel when he said that, though. That was at the end of the college season, when he was still under contract.

Ennis made the right decision. He peaked as a freshman and was probably overrated. I don’t view Richardson the same way. I think he was on the verge of becoming an elite college player.

He was better than Luke Kennard as a freshman and Kennard had a great sophomore season and was a lottery pick. Lottery picks have a longer leash. It’s not just the money, it’s the opportunity.

He probably didn’t expect to playing in Israel when he said that, though. That was at the end of the college season, when he was still under contract.

Ennis made the right decision. He peaked as a freshman and was probably overrated. I don’t view Richardson the same way. I think he was on the verge of becoming an elite college player.

He was better than Luke Kennard as a freshman and Kennard had a great sophomore season and was a lottery pick. Lottery picks have a longer leash. It’s not just the money, it’s the opportunity.

He might’ve been slightly better than Luke then, but he wasn’t a better shooter.

Malachi did shoot the 3 slightly better that year but based on the FG and FT %’s, and then all the %’s in subsequent seasons, that appears to be an anomaly.

FT% is often a pretty big indicator. Luke was close to 90%.

I think if Malachi had that kind of stroke, he’d not only be in the league, but he’d be pretty good.

Mali also did not appreciate some of the comments Cuse fans made about him leaving early

Mali also did not appreciate some of the comments Cuse fans made about him leaving early

A lot of those Twitter college sports fans are insanely annoying. The character limit format makes everything an unexplained hot take. And a lot of those people think they can just say whatever they want to these athletes that they follow. So weird, lol.

He might’ve been slightly better than Luke then, but he wasn’t a better shooter.

Malachi did shoot the 3 slightly better that year but based on the FG and FT %’s, and then all the %’s in subsequent seasons, that appears to be an anomaly.

FT% is often a pretty big indicator. Luke was close to 90%.

I think if Malachi had that kind of stroke, he’d not only be in the league, but he’d be pretty good.
But even if the end result is the same (out of the league after his first contract), he makes more money as a lottery pick.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom