Malachi taking advantage of his pro status | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Malachi taking advantage of his pro status

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has nothing to do with him not coming back. I was happy to see him drafted, and disappointed to see him not showing any joy at having been drafted.

This isn't even really about this particular player. It's about the concept of a kid a year removed from high school making it to the NBA and then doing something cheesy/crass, and about the people who would actually pay for an autograph from someone who hasn't really done anything, almost as if it's a speculative business proposition. Seems like there's a lot of exuberant tossing around of the tired "butt hurt" phrase in forums...

Whether you were for him leaving early or against it, I think most of us can agree that he hasn't really handled himself the best since his decision.

Whether you were for him leaving early or against it, I think most of us can agree that he hasn't really handled himself the best since his decision.
Sorry, I would have to disagree with that assessment.

Let's recap.

He responded to the social media cretins who were killing him before he had made any concrete decisions about his future.

He then failed, in the eyes of some, to react properly and/or with enough emotion upon being selected on draft night.

Now, he will be making a public appearance where he will be signing his autograph in exchange for money.

Where will it all end?

Last edited:
Signing an autograph is the service that is rendered.
All in all, this is a demonstration of immaturity.
Signing a name before you've done anything is not a service. I agree about the immaturity.

cuseguy said:
I stopped following Malachi on Twitter when he started chirping at everyone. While I realize some may have been over the top with their criticism of him leaving early, I felt it showed it was all about Malachi. Kid is a showboat and was looking to cut and run (for the money) the first chance he had. But I thank him for his 9 months at SU and the Final 4. Now hopefully he makes SU look good.

Good grief. How dare he! Trying to make money after college!

I'm not sure what we expect from players? To quietly sacrifice and leave money on the table to uphold our image of the amateur athlete?

Guy was trying to make a hard decision and people said he wasn't good enough. I'd bristle at that too. He made the assumption that fans wanted what's best for him and found out they wanted what's best for themselves.

To the kids that look up to him and the people of that community getting drafted IS doing something.
Awesome. Why not thank the community that supported you for all these years, helping you get to where you are, rather than taking your first chance to cash in on that support.

I help old people recover from illness and injury, teaching them how to walk without falling down and breaking a hip. If I see one at the grocery store struggling, I'm not running over hoping to cash in. I'm helping because it's the right thing to do. I've given all kinds of advice to friends and perfect strangers within the legal limits I'm allowed. I'm sure I'm not the only person on here that has helped others free of charge with their professional expertise. So when I see an instant millionaire trying to squeeze his home town for an extra payday, I see it as classless.

Capt. Tuttle said:
They used to, until people started selling the autographs.

Until they saw that the autograph they gave to a 6 year old ended up in the hands of 30 year old dealer 5 min after signing it in exchange for $.

Signing a name before you've done anything is not a service. I agree about the immaturity.

Leading SU to a Final Four isn't doing anything?
:crazy:

Pretty much EVERY departing college player of note does paid autograph signings.
It's one of the quickest and easiest ways to make a few bucks off of their fame, once they are no longer prohibited by the NCAA from doing so.

Rak did it last year, btw.
Where's the outrage?
Won't somebody think of the children?
:p

I stopped following Malachi on Twitter when he started chirping at everyone. While I realize some may have been over the top with their criticism of him leaving early, I felt it showed it was all about Malachi.

Kid is a showboat and was looking to cut and run (for the money) the first chance he had.
Lol--it IS and SHOULD be all about Malachi. He owes you nothing.

And you unfollowed him because he sent ONE tweet "chirping" at everyone because of the dozens of tweets he was getting from adults similar to you telling him to stay. If that's the worst thing he can tweet, he's doing a great job.

cuse2013 said:
Lol--it IS and SHOULD be all about Malachi. He owes you nothing. And you unfollowed him because he sent ONE tweet "chirping" at everyone because of the dozens of tweets he was getting from adults similar to you telling him to stay. If that's the worst thing he can tweet, he's doing a great job.

He doesn't need to charge $10 for an autograph at his high school.

Malachi blocked a lot of people on Twitter.

Anyway, this is much ado about nothing. He'll play in Sacramento, at late hours on the West coast, and many of us we'll never hear from him again.

I wish him well.

docsu said:
I mean he should've been a good boy, just be happy he gets a free scholarship and all the valuable instruction on zone defense from a guy who's a millionaire a few times over.

Does JB ask for money for autographs?

docsu said:
I wouldn't be assassinating his character if he was.

I think Malachi is a good kid. Handled himself well at SU. And, like many, I'm in the camp that wished he'd stayed but have no problem with his desire to leave early.

Just rubs me the wrong way about asking for $ for an autograph at his high school.

We'll agree to disagree.

So we've been able to make firm conclusions on Mali's character based on an autograph signing and a few moments after guys name was called on draft day.

Ho-ly f%$k.
And we've also been able to conclude that he's likely to recklessly piss away his earnings, thereby putting his status as a thousandaire in jeopardy.

Does JB ask for money for autographs?
I'm not sure if he does or not. But I'm pretty sure that JB, Hop, GMac, Autry and a number of former players don't endorse an array of local businesses for free.

br801 said:
I'm not sure if he does or not. But I'm pretty sure that JB, Hop, GMac, Autry and a number of former players don't endorse an array of local businesses for free.

Just this one time, fresh out of the draft, he might have done it for free in his hometown.

I'm not gonna loose sleep over it.

Sorry, I would have to disagree with that assessment.

Let's recap.

He responded to the social media cretins who were killing him before he had made any concrete decisions about his future.

He then failed, in the eyes of some, to react properly and/or with enough emotion upon being selected on draft night.

Now, he will be making a public appearance where he will be signing his autograph in exchange for money.

Where will it all end?

There is no need to get that emotional over what a few people are saying on social media. Charging people money for your autograph two days after your are drafted, is not a good look.

As a person matures they learn to distinguish between themselves and others.

i know it really is nit picky... but, ur own high school?

charge at a baseball card show at the holiday inn ballroom instead

love mali tho... kid can ball and is head strong. cld become a star.

Maybe he is donating some of the money to the High School. If it was held elsewhere, I would think the charge would be more than $10. There would be overhead for the show or ballroom.

Maybe he is donating some of the money to the High School. It
F it were held elsewhere, I would think the charge would be more than $10. There would be overhead for the show or ballroom.
If that's what he's doing, good for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom