Malachi taking advantage of his pro status | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Malachi taking advantage of his pro status

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not the arbiter on this issue; rather, we are all entitled to our own interpretation and opinion.

It may be tacky, but I would not characterize it as wrong.
I could make you the arbiter of this if you'd like.

That's where you're mistaken - apparently it's worth $10 a pop to some people. ;)

How about the autograph of the guy who led SU to the Final Four?

How many Pro hoopsters just got drafted who went to YOUR HS?
(I'm gonna go ahead and guess - zero.)
It's kind of a big deal.

I'm totally not into autographs or sports memorabilia - it's just not my thing.
Free, paid, whatever.
But I have zero issue with those who are.

Don't like the idea of paying for autographs?
Then don't.
Problem solved.

I wouldn't pay for anyones autograph. If you want to, thats up to you. In terms of money value, right now its not worth much.

I wouldn't pay for anyones autograph. If you want to, thats up to you. In terms of money value, right now its not worth much.

$10 each. ;)

You must be a Saint!
No I'm not, which is exactly my point. I'm not unique. There are lots of people that willingly give of themselves without expecting anything in return. I used myself as a specific example because I don't know other peoples stories, but they're out there. It's sad when one of the first decisions of a person that just got a bigger payday than 99% will ever see is to see what they can squeeze their hometown for. Why not do it for free so that poor kid with a single mom working two jobs to put food on the table can have something from his hometown hero. 10 bucks may not be much for you or me, but it is to someone like that.

No I'm not, which is exactly my point. I'm not unique. There are lots of people that willingly give of themselves without expecting anything in return. I used myself as a specific example because I don't know other peoples stories, but they're out there. It's sad when one of the first decisions of a person that just got a bigger payday than 99% will ever see is to see what they can squeeze their hometown for. Why not do it for free so that poor kid with a single mom working two jobs to put food on the table can have something from his hometown hero. 10 bucks may not be much for you or me, but it is to someone like that.

Rakeem also had an autograph signing before the draft last year. He did his in Syracuse, if that makes a huge difference to you.

This may be my least favorite post in a while... did you seriously just try to list your "good works" resume in a public forum and call attention to YOUR service for people? You see Mali's actions as classless, I see this post highlighting how good a job you do at serving people as completely classless as well. Ridiculous.
I hesitated to do it because I knew some would spin it like that. As I said in another reply, I'm not unique. There are many people that do way more than me that don't expect anything in return. I'm sure you have too. Not flaunting it is the right thing to do and that was not my intention. Is that seriously how it appeared?

Rakeem also had an autograph signing before the draft last year. He did his in Syracuse, if that makes a huge difference to you.
Was he charging? If he was, I don't think it was in the best taste, but it actually bothers me less than doing it in your hometown. These guys have the right to do whatever they want just as we have the right to have an opinion about it.

Was he charging? If he was, I don't think it was in the best taste, but it actually bothers me less than doing it in your hometown. These guys have the right to do whatever they want just as we have the right to have an opinion about it.

Yes he charged even more than Malachi AND he charged for just a photo. I don't really see the difference whether it's your hometown or not. Syracuse helped make Rak just as Malachi's hometown helped make him. I say that with the understanding that I have no problem with either guy doing it.

Former Syracuse star Rakeem Christmas to sign autographs at Destiny USA sports store

Why would it bother you less that he did it in Syracuse, where he had just played for four years and become a hero to and favorite of many locals?

Yes he charged even more than Malachi AND he charged for just a photo. I don't really see the difference whether it's your hometown or not. Syracuse helped make Rak just as Malachi's hometown helped make him. I say that with the understanding that I have no problem with either guy doing it.

Former Syracuse star Rakeem Christmas to sign autographs at Destiny USA sports store
Like I said, I don't like it either way, so our opinions differ there. To me hometown just feels different than college. It just seems like people are tied closer to where they grew up. I can see where that wouldn't apply to everyone. It would be interesting to know whether SU alumni on here that aren't from CNY feel closer to the city of Syracuse or their hometown.

Why would it bother you less that he did it in Syracuse, where he had just played for four years and become a hero to and favorite of many locals?
See above. Listen, I can't give you a metric, and I still don't like it, but it bothers me less. As I said, I prefer what JW did when he graduated.

The memorabilia/autograph business is THE most fraud-filled business I have ever seen...and nothing is even a close second. Not even used cars.
For that reason, there is some value to being able to get an autograph signed in person.
And everyone has a right to make whatever money he can from his celebrity.

That said, there's still something unseemly about a brand new pro with a nice contract ahead rushing to make a few bucks off his hometown fans.
(And, by the way, there's a good chance Malachi is being paid a flat fee by the promoter who then sets the price and pockets the individual proceeds - or much of it).

If I were representing him I would have suggested making such an appearance on behalf of a local charity.
It would have gained him a lot of goodwill and some positive media attention.
To be cynical, both of those factors could be leveraged later.
In any case, there likely will be many more opportunities to make a few bucks like this.

The memorabilia/autograph business is THE most fraud-filled business I have ever seen...and nothing is even a close second. Not even used cars.
For that reason, there is some value to being able to get an autograph signed in person.
And everyone has a right to make whatever money he can from his celebrity.

That said, there's still something unseemly about a brand new pro with a nice contract ahead rushing to make a few bucks off his hometown fans.
(And, by the way, there's a good chance Malachi is being paid a flat fee by the promoter who then sets the price and pockets the individual proceeds - or much of it).

If I were representing him I would have suggested making such an appearance on behalf of a local charity.
It would have gained him a lot of goodwill and some positive media attention.
To be cynical, both of those factors could be leveraged later.
In any case, there likely will be many more opportunities to make a few bucks like this.

It really is a sleazy business, watch the 5th part of the Oj made in america, it deals alot with memorabilia, very dirty.

See above. Listen, I can't give you a metric, and I still don't like it, but it bothers me less. As I said, I prefer what JW did when he graduated.
Wallace graduated a generation ago.

Dang, Malachi is a real jerk, he spoke at the Boys & Girls Club today
"He told the group that “people are always going to hate” but urged them to maintain confidence."
2016 NBA draft pick Malachi Richardson visits Trenton-area kids at Lawrence Clubhouse

"He told the group that “people are always going to hate” but urged them to maintain confidence."
2016 NBA draft pick Malachi Richardson visits Trenton-area kids at Lawrence Clubhouse

Well, he made his choice; other than the UVA game, he had simply a good season as a freshman. Those 9 minutes made him a millionaire. I wish him luck, but I'm more interested in the kids who are still on our roster.

Malachi has to stop with this hate nonsense, thinking a player could use another year of college, isn't hating .

Geez, are people going to complain about Mali incessantly about everything? We'll have Mali bashing threads throughout his career nit picking everything he does. Seems like there's a lot of butt hurt that he didn't come back to your team. No wonder he called out some fans in that interview.
charging hometown people for your freakin' autograph when you are a # 22 pick and haven't played a game in the nba is both money grabbing and wrong, remember where you come from, hey? I am not butt-hurt and do not care who stays, who leaves, I am just orange and I have lost all respect for MR and you, Butt-hurt? Grow up!

So we've been able to make firm conclusions on Mali's character based on an autograph signing and a few moments after guys name was called on draft day.

Ho-ly f%$k.
Syracuse.com, it's where you belong

Yeah, it seems a little petty. However, it's not like he's getting a paycheck yet and maybe he's sick of taking his parent's money. I have no problem with what he's doing. I think it's kind of cute with an entrepreneurial kind of spirit. Syracuse fans will remember Mal for a long time. His character and moxie rubs people the wrong way sometimes. But I believe 10 years from now that is what people will remember and like the most about him.
No, I'll think about an 8th grader giving a weeks lunch money for an autograph from MR who had 5 minutes of glory.

Well, he made his choice; other than the UVA game, he had simply a good season as a freshman. Those 9 minutes made him a millionaire. I wish him luck, but I'm more interested in the kids who are still on our roster.
Malachi has to stop with this hate nonsense, thinking a player could use another year of college, isn't hating .
This thread has apparently become non sequitur headquarters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom