Malachi taking advantage of his pro status | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Malachi taking advantage of his pro status

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a fan of this

Yeah, it seems a little petty. However, it's not like he's getting a paycheck yet and maybe he's sick of taking his parent's money. I have no problem with what he's doing. I think it's kind of cute with an entrepreneurial kind of spirit. Syracuse fans will remember Mal for a long time. His character and moxie rubs people the wrong way sometimes. But I believe 10 years from now that is what people will remember and like the most about him.

I don't like any of it, to be honest with you.

What about those who take the autographs and then sell them? Hey I'd love if athletes always signed for free -and I really think they should make an effort to sign for kids. I collected cards and autographs when I was a kid. But I can see how that would be a turn off to the athletes when they see people turning around and selling them.

What about those who take the autographs and then sell them? Hey I'd love if athletes always signed for free -and I really think they should make an effort to sign for kids. I collected cards and autographs when I was a kid. But I can see how that would be a turn off to the athletes when they see people turning around and selling them.

I guess they can't really help it what they do after they sign it, but they really should sign autographs for kids for free. Selling your autograph is also a turn off.

Awesome. Why not thank the community that supported you for all these years, helping you get to where you are, rather than taking your first chance to cash in on that support.

I help old people recover from illness and injury, teaching them how to walk without falling down and breaking a hip. If I see one at the grocery store struggling, I'm not running over hoping to cash in. I'm helping because it's the right thing to do. I've given all kinds of advice to friends and perfect strangers within the legal limits I'm allowed. I'm sure I'm not the only person on here that has helped others free of charge with their professional expertise. So when I see an instant millionaire trying to squeeze his home town for an extra payday, I see it as classless.
This may be my least favorite post in a while... did you seriously just try to list your "good works" resume in a public forum and call attention to YOUR service for people? You see Mali's actions as classless, I see this post highlighting how good a job you do at serving people as completely classless as well. Ridiculous.

I shouldn't tell Briancuse this, but Cooney and Gbinije have been appearing together in a tv spot for a local replacement window business for a few weeks now. It's absolutely shameful, and I'm sure those two were plotting to do this during the Final Four run, probably at the expense of preparing for the games.

There is nothing wrong with that.

Can't wait for some of the threads the summer months bring until football starts.

Wow, I really didn't think this thread was going to create any sort of controversy. I just thought it was an interesting little nugget. I guess I should've just posted it in the big Malachi thread and it would've been lost in the shuffle.

Back in '99 I went to Cooperstown to see Ryan, Yount, and Brett inducted. I had just finished my senior year of high school. Saw Pete Rose selling his 'graph for $10.

To this day I regret not getting it.

I met Pete at his restaurant while visiting friends in Boca Raton, had to be the early 90s. He was at a booth with someone else, and I walked up to him, shook his hand and asked him 3 questions I had on my mind for him. He was gracious, thoughtful, and very personable, and handed me an autograph for nuthin. Not sure I will ever find that autograph again, but it was a pretty cool moment for me. And I still have the Albany Times Union front page from the day he broke the hits record. Dude should be in the HoF, if they have to reference his lifetime ban on his plague as a form of scarlet letter to serve as an example to others, so be it, but he belongs there.

Wow, I really didn't think this thread was going to create any sort of controversy. I just thought it was an interesting little nugget. I guess I should've just posted it in the big Malachi thread and it would've been lost in the shuffle.

It was interesting. You did nothing wrong. Malachi just has generated a lot of discussion. But it's not that hard to create controversy on this board sometimes, especially in the offseason. Saying the sky is blue could probably generate a debate.

It was interesting. You did nothing wrong. Malachi just has generated a lot of discussion. But it's not that hard to create controversy on this board sometimes, especially in the offseason. Saying the sky is blue could probably generate a debate.

We have to talk about something right.

I stopped following Malachi on Twitter when he started chirping at everyone. While I realize some may have been over the top with their criticism of him leaving early, I felt it showed it was all about Malachi..

What is all about Malachi? His life and decisions? well yeah.

Awesome. Why not thank the community that supported you for all these years, helping you get to where you are, rather than taking your first chance to cash in on that support.

I help old people recover from illness and injury, teaching them how to walk without falling down and breaking a hip. If I see one at the grocery store struggling, I'm not running over hoping to cash in. I'm helping because it's the right thing to do. I've given all kinds of advice to friends and perfect strangers within the legal limits I'm allowed. I'm sure I'm not the only person on here that has helped others free of charge with their professional expertise. So when I see an instant millionaire trying to squeeze his home town for an extra payday, I see it as classless.

You must be a Saint!

Briancuse said:
There is nothing wrong with that.

Please, please share with me the difference.

Please, please share with me the difference.

You mean the difference between endorsements and charging people for your autograph? If a company is willing to pay you to endorse their product, thats great. Why is someone who is about to be a millionaire charging money for their name on a piece of paper or ball? From people who aren't even close to making what they are.

Briancuse said:
You mean the difference between endorsements and charging people for your autograph? If a company is willing to pay you to endorse their product, thats great. Why is someone who is about to be a millionaire charging money for their name on a piece of paper or ball? From people who aren't even close to making what they are.

There is no difference. The thing of value is Richardson's name and image.

And if you collectors place a value on a piece of paper or ball than it has value. Exchanging money for something of value is an important idea. Supply and demand and all that.

So he should only charge people who reach a certain threshold monetarily? He should only do business with other millionaires?

Here's a thought. If people don't think an autograph has a $10 value, they won't pay it. If they can't afford it, they won't pay for it.

Agreed. But that doesn't make it right, does it?

I am not the arbiter on this issue; rather, we are all entitled to our own interpretation and opinion.

It may be tacky, but I would not characterize it as wrong.

There is no difference. The thing of value is Richardson's name and image.

And if you collectors place a value on a piece of paper or ball than it has value. Exchanging money for something of value is an important idea. Supply and demand and all that.

So he should only charge people who reach a certain threshold monetarily? He should only do business with other millionaires?

Here's a thought. If people don't think an autograph has a $10 value, they won't pay it. If they can't afford it, they won't pay for it.

There is a huge difference between endorsements and signing autographs. He shouldn't be charging anyone for his autograph, and I am not trying to be mean here, but the 22nd pick in the draft's autograph right now isn't worth much at all.

There is a huge difference between endorsements and signing autographs. He shouldn't be charging anyone for his autograph, and I am not trying to be mean here, but the 22nd pick in the draft's autograph right now isn't worth much at all.

That's where you're mistaken - apparently it's worth $10 a pop to some people. ;)

How about the autograph of the guy who led SU to the Final Four?

How many Pro hoopsters just got drafted who went to YOUR HS?
(I'm gonna go ahead and guess - zero.)
It's kind of a big deal.

I'm totally not into autographs or sports memorabilia - it's just not my thing.
Free, paid, whatever.
But I have zero issue with those who are.

Don't like the idea of paying for autographs?
Then don't.
Problem solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online