Malachi - Trust the Process Young Man | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Malachi - Trust the Process Young Man

And when you make your money, do you not have to pay taxes? Do you not have bills?

Just because a player leaves school early and doesn't pan out in the NBA does not mean they wouldn't have fizzled if they stayed at the school you cheer for. My god. We do this every year.
Yes, we do do this every year. And if I get myself caught up in this thread, shame on me. Think I'll just search board archives and take a trip down memory lane instead.

I would love to see Tyus get drafted and love to have him back next year, but not if it's only so he can play the point guard position. We need a point guard, not someone who is playing a position that is not his best so that he can audition for the league. I'm tired of being mediocre. I want to do whatever gives us the best chance to win. If that gets Tyus drafted great, if not then I'd prefer to win.

Carey isn’t a rock-steady, plug-and-play PG, and I don’t see one coming in, either. Goodine is a combo, JGIII a scorer. We will see.

This assumes of course that the player sticks with the NBA team and doesn't get sent down to the G league. I wonder what's better in terms of strength and conditioning - high D1 college or the G league.

Probably G League. The practice facilities are still top notch, you play more and more often, and you don't have to worry about wasting prime training hours in class

Most of us knew MR was a long shot even tho he was drafted in the 1st round. I live 10 miles from where he played HS ball. Watched him several times. He's ok but never should have been drafted that highly - I don't think he's long for the NBA.

Grant had much more athleticism plus bloodlines hard to duplicate.

99.9% of them are long shots. He was drafted where he was drafted based on a great combine, measurables and a good year. Drafting is not an exact science. You could say a lot of kids shouldn’t have been drafted as high as they were after the fact. Jabari Parker, Tyler Ennis, Tyler Lydon, Chris McCullough, Nerlens Noel, Jahlil Okafor, etc.

Nobody knows how these kids will pan out.

99.9% of them are long shots. He was drafted where he was drafted based on a great combine, measurables and a good year. Drafting is not an exact science. You could say a lot of kids shouldn’t have been drafted as high as they were after the fact. Jabari Parker, Tyler Ennis, Tyler Lydon, Chris McCullough, Nerlens Noel, Jahlil Okafor, etc.

Nobody knows how these kids will pan out.

I'm talking many of us SU fans knew he was a long shot to succeed even after he was taken in the first round. 99.9% of first rounders are not long shots.

When you pick guys in the 20-30 range there is a good chance they are not NBA talent no matter the class. Those that stuck around longer to be SR's have no more success in the NBA in general... obviously both have exceptions.

I mean, each of them has/or will soon made 3 million or more
So 1.5 MM has gone to Uncle Sam.

Another 300k to the agent.

Likely another 200k for going pro early, if ya know what I mean...and...I think you do.

So if they lucky they still has 1 MM.

Oh wait...they likely spent 200k a year and probably bought a house and put 200k down to help the monthly bill, but the taxes are probably 20k a year.

So if they likely, they have 140k in the bank, are out of the NBA...and are being mocked in the college teams fan board.

Only to someday have JGIII and Uncle Drew, with their BAs and MBAs secured and top jobs...drive up in their Bentley and wonder why the guy pumping their gas looks so familiar...

College won't develop your game more than playing against pro's will. Most, if not all, of the guys listed have made more money already than 90% of people will make in a lifetime. All of those guys were physically ready for the NBA. It's not the NFL. Another year of college won't make you run faster or jump higher.
I think it depends on the player. For some, it won't matter. For others, staying in college allows for more maturation from a basketball standpoint (not just physically) without the pressure of a professional organization can make the difference.

So 1.5 MM has gone to Uncle Sam.

Another 300k to the agent.

Likely another 200k for going pro early, if ya know what I mean...and...I think you do.

So if they lucky they still has 1 MM.

Oh wait...they likely spent 200k a year and probably bought a house and put 200k down to help the monthly bill, but the taxes are probably 20k a year.

So if they likely, they have 140k in the bank, are out of the NBA...and are being mocked in the college teams fan board.

Only to someday have JGIII and Uncle Drew, with their BAs and MBAs secured and top jobs...drive up in their Bentley and wonder why the guy pumping their gas looks so familiar...
Come on man, you're gonna be that guy?

Also note to the parents of the potential players that possibly read this board...Sorry, this hopefully doesn’t reflect on our fan base as a whole.

Probably G League. The practice facilities are still top notch, you play more and more often, and you don't have to worry about wasting prime training hours in class

Facilities are getting
better, but our guys basically travel one overnight a week, otherwise live across the street from top notch facilities that they get for 10-12 hours a day.

Also note to the parents of the potential players that possibly read this board...Sorry, this hopefully doesn’t reflect on our fan base as a whole.

Other schools fans want kids to leave early and flame out?

Contrast that with the money Grant will make or others who earn a second contact. That money goes quickly after taxes, agent fees and union dues.

if you have no clue what you are doing. time value of money states that the kind of money a first round pick makes, at 20 years old...even at the highest marginal tax rate, should last a lifetime

Malachi wasn’t drafted solely on 20 minutes against UVA or his NCAAT performance. He averaged 14 ppg in ACC play on 42% from 3. He had a good freshman season. He also shot very well at the combine and had great measureables-7 ft wingspan. Malachi had what the NBA values, length and shooting, and seemed like a good fit for the league.

Valid points - I still think he went higher due to his tourney performance.

Look staying may or may not have a huge advantage on these kids with getting that second contract. However, if they stay their full time rather than get sucked out to make a quick couple million they can stay in school, earn a degree at no cost to them and set themselves up for their entire life if they don’t make it in the NBA. I know all we see is basketball players out of these kids, but we have to remember, these kids are still student athletes and have the opportunity to get a degree from Syracuse University. That’s a guaranteed job basically wherever they go.

Look staying may or may not have a huge advantage on these kids with getting that second contract. However, if they stay their full time rather than get sucked out to make a quick couple million they can stay in school, earn a degree at no cost to them and set themselves up for their entire life if they don’t make it in the NBA. I know all we see is basketball players out of these kids, but we have to remember, these kids are still student athletes and have the opportunity to get a degree from Syracuse University. That’s a guaranteed job basically wherever they go.

...So why couldn't they just come back and get their degree, as many have done?

There just wasn’t much else there besides hitting 3’s and having impressive height and pretty good athleticism. No handle, no off the dribble game, no post game, poor shot selection, no defense.

He was like a poor man’s Nick Young.

That’s an insult to Swaggy P, and you know it.

Nah, I told you so guy is fine.

The "yeah but they don't really make that much money" guy is a bit of a dweeb.
Not really where I was going.

It was more the...’you gave up college glory and a degree, that could provide you a lifetime of income, for a large bag of cash that you likely will spend to nothing in 3 years’.

If that’s interpreted your way, fine, I’ll own it.

I would’ve been happier however, had you just called me selfish and for really meaning that I just wanted him to stay so I couldve likely enjoyed more Orange wins.

Because that woulve been true too.

That’s a guaranteed job basically wherever they go.

A degree is really not a guaranteed job these days. I have a friend with an MBA who had to start as a phone rep just to get in somewhere.

A degree is really not a guaranteed job these days. I have a friend with an MBA who had to start as a phone rep just to get in somewhere.
then he will likely move up quick.

or to paraphrase an old Sam Kinson bit...'move to where the jobs are!!'

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom