Malachi - Trust the Process Young Man | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Malachi - Trust the Process Young Man

I'm talking many of us SU fans knew he was a long shot to succeed even after he was taken in the first round. 99.9% of first rounders are not long shots.

Meant 99.9 of all college basketball players are long shots. The draft is a crap shoot. Markelle Fultz was taken #1 and he will be lucky to be in the league in 2 years. It happens all the time.

Three thoughts...

1) I'd like some of these guys to stay at SU because it would make SU better. I care about the Orange, not the Sacramento Kings. It's selfish. I know and I don't care.

2) None of these guys should care about my selfishness. Go get paid.

3) Very few of these guys are going to get demonstrably "NBA better" playing SU's brand of ball. They may improve their skills just because of the time they put in, but they're probably more likely to get better in the pros.

Meant 99.9 of all college basketball players are long shots. The draft is a crap shoot. Markelle Fultz was taken #1 and he will be lucky to be in the league in 2 years. It happens all the time.

Yeah I was talking about after he was drafted in the first round. I think most of us knew that the potential was outweighed by the reality.

Yeah I was talking about after he was drafted in the first round. I think most of us knew that the potential was outweighed by the reality.

You didn’t know anything. Neither did the scouts and the teams interested in him.

[

And that's the danger of picking someone based solely on their NCAAT performance. Not that I blame Malachi - strike when the iron is hot. The scouts should know better.

I think some scouts do, but they're not the ones pulling the trigger. Just need to get one GM/Team President to believe.

And when you make your money, do you not have to pay taxes? Do you not have bills?

Just because a player leaves school early and doesn't pan out in the NBA does not mean they wouldn't have fizzled if they stayed at the school you cheer for. My god. We do this every year.

Or stayed and never got picked

Most of the board "knew" Jerami Grant wouldn't turn into anything and...

Of all the recent early entries I though Grant by far had the highest ceiling and actually could have improved his position by coming back one more year and being the star. Still worked out for him. The other guys IMO left at their peak "potential"

Three thoughts...

1) I'd like some of these guys to stay at SU because it would make SU better. I care about the Orange, not the Sacramento Kings. It's selfish. I know and I don't care.

2) None of these guys should care about my selfishness. Go get paid.

3) Very few of these guys are going to get demonstrably "NBA better" playing SU's brand of ball. They may improve their skills just because of the time they put in, but they're probably more likely to get better in the pros.
I swear you were trying for the least hot take of all time here.

Yeah but he got lucky getting picked by the Sixers, something, something...

if you have no clue what you are doing. time value of money states that the kind of money a first round pick makes, at 20 years old...even at the highest marginal tax rate, should last a lifetime
This is just flat out wrong. Five years is more like it. And the stats for ex-NBA players going broke proves it.

As JB has said many times, it matters most who picks you and if you get a chance to play. Grant got very lucky and took advantage of his opportunity. Good for him.

Yeah if only CJ Fair or Michael Gbinje had a chance to play. They’d be starting for the Thunder

If it’s all luck, why not just leave early and hope the right team picks you?

Yeah if only CJ Fair or Michael Gbinje had a chance to play. They’d be starting for the Thunder

If it’s all luck, why not just leave early and hope the right team picks you?
Uh, it's kinda not the point. Unless you're a lottery pick chances are high you're going to be stuck behind 2-3 established guys who can play. And that says nothing about guys at your position coming back from injury or coming in by trades or free agents. You're not going to much of a chance if any. Malachi is a good example. But if you're picked by a team that has a need for what you do then you may get a chance. Fair and Silent G had no chance to get on the floor because they were fill-ins and nothing more. No one is talking about starting, just about getting on the floor.

Uh, it's kinda not the point. Unless you're a lottery pick chances are high you're going to be stuck behind 2-3 established guys who can play. And that says nothing about guys at your position coming back from injury or coming in by trades or free agents. You're not going to much of a chance if any. Malachi is a good example. But if you're picked by a team that has a need for what you do then you may get a chance. Fair and Silent G had no chance to get on the floor because they were fill-ins and nothing more. No one is talking about starting, just about getting on the floor.

It actually is the point and it’s where we fundamentally disagree. You think G and Fair had no chance because they didn’t get the chance. I think they didn’t get the chance because they aren’t good enough for the NBA (no disrespect to them, two of my favorite orangemen ever)

Grant was always going to make it because he’s good enough. Chris McCollugh was never going to make it because he wasn’t.

This is just flat out wrong. Five years is more like it. And the stats for ex-NBA players going broke proves it.

What I said isn’t true ? What I stated is a simple rule of math . The fact that these people lose it all in five years means they don’t know eddy they’re doing. You could give them any amount and it wouldn’t matter

What I said isn’t true ? What I stated is a simple rule of math . The fact that these people lose it all in five years means they don’t know eddy they’re doing. You could give them any amount and it wouldn’t matter
Think about it...your point I guess is that they don't know what they're doing with their money? How is that a rule of math? So if they all had good money managers they'd make $1M last 55-60 yrs after they're done playing?

It actually is the point and it’s where we fundamentally disagree. You think G and Fair had no chance because they didn’t get the chance. I think they didn’t get the chance because they aren’t good enough for the NBA (no disrespect to them, two of my favorite orangemen ever)

Grant was always going to make it because he’s good enough. Chris McCollugh was never going to make it because he wasn’t.
If Fair went to Indiana and he lit it up from three and they needed points from the line, he'd play. When Malachi goes to Phila and shoots great from the three and that's a need they have to fill, he'll stick. That's what I mean by getting a chance. If a guy meets a team's need that's his chance. Even if you're good enough but there are established guys who do what you do just as well or better, you're not gonna get a chance.

Yeah but he got lucky getting picked by the Sixers, something, something...

Awful take. Jerami Grant was EXTREMELY lucky--as a second round pick--to land on a team that had a vested interest in losing for an extended period of time, in the midst of one of the grandest intentional tanks in professional sports history. They went out of their way to play who were marginal -- because the goal was to lose instead of winning, and they wanted a "cheap" roster while they were going through the process.

Grant--who as a physically underdeveloped second round rookie got a chance to play that most second rounders wouldn't--was able to parlay that opportunity into a second contract and refine his skill set / showcase his wares in ways that he might not have gotten anywhere else. Would he have had the same opportunity if he'd gotten drafted by a veteran team like, say, the Spurs? He might not have even made their roster out of camp.

Kudos to Grant for maximizing his opportunity by optimizing his potential, but let's not pretend that his cause wasn't aided by where he landed as a second round pick.

Pointing that out doesn't cast aspersions on his physical tools / potential.

Last edited:
If Fair went to Indiana and he lit it up from three and they needed points from the line, he'd play. When Malachi goes to Phila and shoots great from the three and that's a need they have to fill, he'll stick. That's what I mean by getting a chance. If a guy meets a team's need that's his chance. Even if you're good enough but there are established guys who do what you do just as well or better, you're not gonna get a chance.

So going by this theory, if Grant didn’t get picked by Philly, would be in the NBA now?

Hope he makes as much as he can. NBA days fading. Will be playing in some place like Bulgaria next year.

My point is that Malachi had one huge game in the NCAAs and he had measurables that the NBA likes. But anybody paying close attention during that freshman year (or had seen him play in HS like I did) knew that he was a flawed player that wasn't going to do much in the NBA.

So nobody knows nothing, right? lol

Well, nobody can predict the future, right? You were guessing, and happened to guess correctly. You certainly didn't know any more than the teams that scouted him and considered drafting him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom