Malcolm Cater back in football determined to 'make it right' | Syracusefan.com

Malcolm Cater back in football determined to 'make it right'

most interesting takeaway was that marrone would have taken him back and planned on doing it.

There are some great lessons in that article.

I'm glad that Cater seems to have straightened himself out. It also demonstrates that there sometimes kids have to experience adversity to put things into proper perspective and get their motivation where it needs to be.

Also glad to see that he understands the value of his education, and the life-long impact that will have on his ability to provide for his family whether he makes it in professional football or not.

most interesting takeaway was that marrone would have taken him back and planned on doing it.

Love Shafer, can't stand Marrone. But I wish Shafer had honored this promise by the former staff - clearly he was involved in the discussion when the promise was made. This kid sounds like he deserved another chance and to have it offered and taken away isn't the right call in my opinion. I am sure he had his reasons but feel bad for Cater. I hope he finds a way to get where he wants to be from Div II.

I thought DII schools didn't offer scholarships.

Love Shafer, can't stand Marrone. But I wish Shafer had honored this promise by the former staff - clearly he was involved in the discussion when the promise was made. This kid sounds like he deserved another chance and to have it offered and taken away isn't the right call in my opinion. I am sure he had his reasons but feel bad for Cater. I hope he finds a way to get where he wants to be from Div II.

I disagree. For all we know Shafer disagreed with Marrone's approach. When you take over a team, you have to make some tough decisions to ensure it is your team. In this case despite the current state we are talking about a kid who stole from one of his teammates. Marrone essentially told some 18 kids they should move on in his first year based on lack of talent, and my guess in some cases attitude. Although for most I am sure he offered them their spot, but limited likelihood at playing time. Some I imagine he told them they were not welcome back. As far as we know none of them stole from their teammates.

I hope the best for Cater, but I trust that Scott made the best decision fro the team as a whole in his eyes.

Yeah Marrone comes across as a true touchhole in this article, visiting the kid at prison/bootcamp, making sure he found his way to HVCC, offering him a second chance at Syracuse. I don't blame Shafer for not doing it but Marrone seemed ready to give him the opportunity.

Yeah Marrone comes across as a true touchhole in this article, visiting the kid at prison/bootcamp, making sure he found his way to HVCC, offering him a second chance at Syracuse. I don't blame Shafer for not doing it but Marrone seemed ready to give him the opportunity.

What a tool.

I'm not so sure that offer to come back to Syracuse really existed. That version of the story just doesn't hold up if you think about it. There is no way that Shafer would have rescinded that offer -- and we did take Arcinega as a JUCO to back up the MIKE position.

Two things: I wonder if those grades slipped BEFORE the offer to come back here and then we said "sorry, can't come back," or there is no way the University would readmit him.

Either way, the kid was a good player. Would have made a helluva linebacker here under Shafer's system. Best of luck to him.

Good luck to Malcolm.
I hope he remains focused, gets a degree and a chance to play beyond college.

Is there a problem with this timeline?

Cater would get a chance to return to the Orange following his sentence. He was paroled June 7, 2012 and the next day he received a call from one of Syracuse's assistant coaches, Michael Muehling. Muehling told Cater that he just received the head coaching job at Hudson Valley Community College, a junior college near Syracuse. In order for Cater to return to Syracuse, and all of the coaches for the Orange agreed, he would have to stay out of trouble, handling his business on and off the field.
Cater was ecstatic. This was his second chance to prove everyone wrong...
...But as the 2012 season progressed, his plan to go back to Syracuse fell apart. Coach Marrone accepted an offer to become the Buffalo Bills head coach and so the offer to return that was once there, disappeared. The news hit Cater hard, he didn't even finish the season for Hudson Valley. His grades fell as a result and he was put on academic probation. He had interest from Division I schools like Buffalo, Toledo and Temple but once they saw his grades, no offers came through.
Cater lost his financial aid and another chance slipped away. He sat out the following semester.

Marrone was hired by the Bills on January 6, 2013. SU won the Pinstripe Bowl on December 29, 2012 and I don't think anyone was expecting him to leave at that time. At least not publically.

How did those events cause Cater to not finish the fall 2012 football season and affect his grades during the fall semester? Their football season ended on November 10th. Finals at HVCC are in the teens in December this year, assume it was the same in 2012.

Cater would get a chance to return to the Orange following his sentence. He was paroled June 7, 2012 and the next day he received a call from one of Syracuse's assistant coaches, Michael Muehling. Muehling told Cater that he just received the head coaching job at Hudson Valley Community College, a junior college near Syracuse. In order for Cater to return to Syracuse, and all of the coaches for the Orange agreed, he would have to stay out of trouble, handling his business on and off the field.
...But as the 2012 season progressed, his plan to go back to Syracuse fell apart. Coach Marrone accepted an offer to become the Buffalo Bills head coach and so the offer to return that was once there, disappeared. The news hit Cater hard, he didn't even finish the season for Hudson Valley. His grades fell as a result and he was put on academic probation. He had interest from Division I schools like Buffalo, Toledo and Temple but once they saw his grades, no offers came through.
Cater lost his financial aid and another chance slipped away. He sat out the following semester.

Marrone was hired by the Bills on January 6, 2013. SU won the Pinstripe Bowl on December 29, 2012 and I don't think anyone was expecting him to leave at that time. At least not publically.

How did those events cause Cater to not finish the fall 2012 football season and affect his grades during the fall semester? Their football season ended on November 10th. Finals at HVCC are in the teens in December this year, assume it was the same in 2012.

good sleuth work

There were plenty of rumblings between the last game of the season and the Pin Stripe Bowl that DM was unhappy and looking for another job. I even remember rumors that he was considering offers from other colleges which turned out to be untrue.

In fact, I think the first "Crusty Group Card" that this board sent was to DM in an effort to counter all the reported "bad letters" he had received.

I thought DII schools didn't offer scholarships.
DII schools have a more limited amount of scholarships. They usually divvy them up so a guy might be on a 50% tuition scholarship, etc. A lot of times with kids who get e.g. Pell Grants, the partial and grants cover most or all of their expenses.

There are some great lessons in that article.

I'm glad that Cater seems to have straightened himself out. It also demonstrates that there sometimes kids have to experience adversity to put things into proper perspective and get their motivation where it needs to be.

Also glad to see that he understands the value of his education, and the life-long impact that will have on his ability to provide for his family whether he makes it in professional football or not.

In addition, the number of dumb decisions made under the influence of alcohol that change the course of a persons life. Not an excuse but a reality for many.

You are right, the timeline doesn't make sense. Looks like he is using that as an excuse for his latest failure.

I feel bad for the kid but there is a pattern with this kid of screwing up that started well before he ever enrolled at Syracuse. He has had a number of chances to make good and frankly, he has not made good on any of them.

When you are a football HC, you have a limited number of scholarships to work with. You have to make hard decisions sometimes to ensure you get the most you can out of each one. SU was extremely lenient with Cater, bend over backwards for him and got burned.

It is a shame when a school takes a chance on a troubled kid like this and the kid fails. It makes it much harder to give a troubled kid in a similar situation a chance in the future.

I wish Cater all the best in overcoming his demons, getting a degree and becoming a productive member of society. It would have been a great story had he done it here. Perhaps it will happen somewhere else.

FYI Moriah shock camp is legit.

and imho with close experience to it - a great way to give lesser inmates 1 more chance at being a contributing member of society.

RMH44 said:
There were plenty of rumblings between the last game of the season and the Pin Stripe Bowl that DM was unhappy and looking for another job. I even remember rumors that he was considering offers from other colleges which turned out to be untrue. In fact, I think the first "Crusty Group Card" that this board sent was to DM in an effort to counter all the reported "bad letters" he had received.

That was late November, December. Cater quit late October, early November. Even at that, Shafer had not been hired and told Cater no go before then. Timeline is messed up.