Mali...back or not poll | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Mali...back or not poll

That sums it up well for me. Mali is availing himself of the process and the new deadline for declaring for the draft, as he should be. In the end, I believe he will make a reasoned decision based on the feedback he receives from his SU coaches, the NBA and his inner circle.

I really hope that he does, but I am starting to get a bad feeling that this isn't going to end well.

I really hope that he does, but I am starting to get a bad feeling that this isn't going to end well.
I have no reason to believe he will declare without strong assurance that he will be at worst a late first round selection. If that is the case, it would make perfect sense for him to declare, unless he feels he can secure a higher slot in the lottery and more money by returning for another season and showcasing his skills as an alpha dog shooting guard.

It was clear in the Virginia game that Brogdon, the ACC defensive player of the year, could not guard Mali. That is the game that woke up the NBA scouts to his true potential - NBA will draft a player higher in the draft on upside potential alone. They want to see that up close at the combine before he declares and gets an agent. The SU staff knows this already, we just can't see it nor can the draft experts you mention - yet.

I also didn't say he wasn't going to return but we will know for certain after the combine and life can go on. Just give Mali some credit here as he is taking the right approach and will make the best decision he can make with as much info at his disposal after the combine. Actually a very thoughtful approach on his part. To say that he already has it in his mind no matter what would mean he already would have had an agent. That's what people are saying but they shouldn't be in my opinion. I've already said too much on my part - nuff said.
Couple of things... first, I do appreciate your willingness to share what you've heard, and I hope it hasn't come off as me trying to shoot the messenger. Also, I 100% support Malachi staying in the draft if he has a first round guarantee and I've said that from the beginning. But a) it's fairly clear at this point he is borderline 1st round at best and b) the "whispers" and "winds" alluded to on this board indicate the "hellbent" attitude I mention above.
One hopes this comes down to how he grades out in the combine/workouts

I think past individuals have proven it matters not what you have done in college or anywhere else prior to the draft. The NBA draft is mostly potential driven. Recent example, Miles Turner, had a below average freshman year of college, goes 11th and ends up being a better pro than college player. To be honest, initially I was more concerned about Tyler Lydon leaving. He just oozes NBA potential (still a few years away from that, but again the draft is all potential). If Mali goes, I will wish him luck. I'm secretly wishing him to return, but long armed shooting guards look good to NBA teams.

No matter what happens...there is still one definite. We all will still bleed Orange!!!!

It was clear in the Virginia game that Brogdon, the ACC defensive player of the year, could not guard Mali. That is the game that woke up the NBA scouts to his true potential - NBA will draft a player higher in the draft on upside potential alone. They want to see that up close at the combine before he declares and gets an agent. The SU staff knows this already, we just can't see it nor can the draft experts you mention - yet.
Brogdon just happened to catch Mali on a day (stretch) where he was on fire.

What if it was one of Mali's cold games and Syracuse lost that day? Would that mean he's not an NBA draft pick?
I also didn't say he wasn't going to return but we will know for certain after the combine and life can go on. Just give Mali some credit here as he is taking the right approach and will make the best decision he can make with as much info at his disposal after the combine. Actually a very thoughtful approach on his part. To say that he already has it in his mind no matter what would mean he already would have had an agent. That's what people are saying but they shouldn't be in my opinion. I've already said too much on my part - nuff said.
I hope you're right about him taking the right approach but posters here have sources who are contradicting that.

We'll see what happens.

Via CBS Sports

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...erclassman-who-has-entered-the-2016-nba-draft

upload_2016-5-11_8-52-41.png

I believe that is the opinion of the majority of the media, with a few exceptions. But who knows what he is hearing directlyfrom the teams. The combine will be huge for Malachi.
You'd think the combine would be important but he's apparently mind up his mind to go already.

iommi said:
You'd think the combine would be important but he's apparently mind up his mind to go already.

Even if it's late second round.

Well, he hasn't hired an agent and it sounds like he has good people around him. Hopefully he doesn't make a decision based upon the twitterworld.

Well, he hasn't hired an agent and it sounds like he has good people around him. Hopefully he doesn't make a decision based upon the twitterworld.

Doubt that's it. The dude wants to get paid for what he loves. I don't think he's ready. Oh well. Hope he weighs all factors but telling the staff he's not coming back before he works out says he's already made up
his mind regardless of his feedback and standing.

Doubt that's it. The dude wants to get paid for what he loves. I don't think he's ready. Oh well. Hope he weighs all factors but telling the staff he's not coming back before he works out says he's already made up
his mind regardless of his feedback and standing.
I agree, only holding on to the tiniest bit of hope we have, selfishly. He is so important to this team next year and I think him coming back would be mutually beneficial.

Doubt that's it. The dude wants to get paid for what he loves. I don't think he's ready. Oh well. Hope he weighs all factors but telling the staff he's not coming back before he works out says he's already made up his mind regardless of his feedback and standing.

How do you know it's all about the money? Maybe it's not about the money but the prestige of saying you are an NBA player.

CuseLegacy said:

Must have been told he's going to be selected in the first round.

He probably was told that a few weeks ago when he advised the staff he wasn't coming back.

Hence the full court press on Gillon.

A team must've reached out to him - hopefully a 1st round grnte

I have a hypothetical, philosophical question for the crowd:

Let's say a player in Mali's situation goes to the NBA combine without hiring an agent. While at the combine, the player sustains an injury that will prevent them from playing next year. As a result, they do not stay in the draft. My assumption is that the school they came from eats the cost of their scholarship for the following season, the roster spot, and the medical expenses, all so the player can presumably enter the draft again next year. Fair? Or not fair?

ok, so Mike Waters clears things up here regarding Mal's not doing the 5on5. Again, he must be quite certain he's going 1st round. Sounds like he'll be working out for teams soon...

ok, so Mike Waters clears things up here regarding Mal's not doing the 5on5. Again, he must be quite certain he's going 1st round. Sounds like he'll be working out for teams soon...

But if he is almost certain he is going, why not hire an agent? An agent could set up more workouts, generate more buzz, etc and likely do things that would at least increase your chances of being picked up earlier. Right? I mean I assume that is what agents do. Going it on your own is hyper risky. And if you aren't coming back, you know you are going to ultimately hire a guy anyway so why not when they can help you pre-draft?

HoustonCuse said:
But if he is almost certain he is going, why not hire an agent? An agent could set up more workouts, generate more buzz, etc and likely do things that would at least increase your chances of being picked up earlier. Right? I mean I assume that is what agents do. Going it on your own is hyper risky. And if you aren't coming back, you know you are going to ultimately hire a guy anyway so why not when they can help you pre-draft?
Appearances. You get a free look now. Hiring an agent looks presumptuous.

Good questions, Houston. I'm perplexed

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuselegend

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom