Malik Brown Leaving Vols | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Malik Brown Leaving Vols

billsin01 said:
Fair enough. I don't believe it's that black and white most of the time. Character is a mercurial thing and difficult to judge. And talent is something you can judge fairly accurately. It's also absolutely essential and arguably as important any other aspect of a program. I have to believe -- and perhaps I'm only a hopeless cynic -- that character largely translates to 'do we believe this kid is capable of essentially keeping his nose clean for four years and do we believe he'll work pretty hard at being a football player.' (and even that's tough to judge.) That's a far cry from recruiting a bunch of civic-minded, well-rounded student athletes who are volunteering time to help underprivileged and special needs children each week and carrying a 3.5 in engineering. Just my opinion as a person who has heard plenty of statements uttered by football coaches in my time.

I agree. It is difficult to judge and many coaches talk about it being important. Time will tell if it's a good strategy or not or if Shafer and co are good judges of character.

I say let the coaches determine what is best. I'm sure they know who fits and who does not. When david 'boom' Perkins decided to leave ND, I'm sure our coaches knew. When he decided to leave ohio state, again, I'm sure our coaches knew.

Funny thing is, I'm arguing in this thread that Malik Brown disrespected us with his flip and arguing elsewhere that Dante Davis didn't disrespect us with his decommit. For me it really comes down to how he did it is all, left a bad taste in my mouth.

I don't think it was the flip itself that was the issue, not for me at least. Disappointing but it is what it is.

It was more the how and why along with the manner he disrespected Syracuse in the process of the flip.

If he calmly said "I have chosen UT and I thought that was the better fit for me" or some such thing, everyone would have been fine with it. But the whole, ...UT is head and shoulders above Syracuse by my point system and "it wasn't even close" or the fans are better, etc, etc.

That stuff burned my ass as a fan and I am sure was not OK with this staff.

I agree. It is difficult to judge and many coaches talk about it being important. Time will tell if it's a good strategy or not or if Shafer and co are good judges of character.

Disrespecting a university PUBLICLY after they offered a scholarship that you committed to shows a lack of character.

Period. End of story.

I'll be sure to catch one of games on ESPN3 in '15.

The Matrix didn't figure this out...

No surprise he wasn't exactly a hot commodity after getting buried on a 4 win teams depth chart, having an injury plagued season, and putting on weight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom