Malik Brown Leaving Vols | Syracusefan.com

Malik Brown Leaving Vols

Unbelievable.

@TennesseeBeat
RS freshman DE Malik Brown plans to transfer to another school, per Butch Jones. Brown has battled injuries throughout his UT career.

He's been there like 9 months.

That complex, numbered system used they used to select the Vols was apparently flawed. Too bad for him Could have been in a real good situation at the Cuse. Hope he finds a good home going forward.

Unbelievable.

Would be interesting to see what would happen if he reached out to SU. I believe HCSMFS would scoff at his unhardnoseness

It would be interesting to see just how burned the bridge really is...

We already have Slayton and other DE's coming in. No need. Not hard nosed.

He is an 18 year old kid that made a bad decision and it isn't too late to rectify ... if he is talented and can play and wants to come on board why not? He fell in love with the glitz of the SEC which is easy to do at that age while looking to pick a school ... why not bring him on board if he wants to be at SU? Especially if he can rush the passer ... we need that.

He is an 18 year old kid that made a bad decision and it isn't too late to rectify ... if he is talented and can play and wants to come on board why not? He fell in love with the glitz of the SEC which is easy to do at that age while looking to pick a school ... why not bring him on board if he wants to be at SU? Especially if he can rush the passer ... we need that.

I'm usually all for second chances, but I have no interest in the staff pursuing a kid who flipped on them at the last minute and did so in a way where he actually insulted the program with his pros and cons list he came up with where SU supposedly ranked so far behind Tennessee. Best of luck to him but not here.

I wouldn't want EBO if he decided to transfer from Clemson either.

I'm usually all for second chances, but I have no interest in the staff pursuing a kid who flipped on them at the last minute and did so in a way where he actually insulted the program with his pros and cons list he came up with where SU supposedly ranked so far behind Tennessee. Best of luck to him but not here.

I wouldn't want EBO if he decided to transfer from Clemson either.

I also want to say he was the one with a pretty disrespectful announcement as well. I wasn't a fan of that check-minus list either. Obviously he didn't factor in Tennessee's tradition of over recruiting each cycle with no care for the kids already on the roster. I'm with everyone else...Pass

I think I lean toward this viewpoint. But not sure I would pursue him. If he reaches out to Shafer with interest, I would definitely listen. It would take some humility to reach out to Shafer and admit you made a mistake - not an easy thing for most people, let alone for a teenager.

I also want to say he was the one with a pretty disrespectful announcement as well. I wasn't a fan of that check-minus list either. Obviously he didn't factor in Tennessee's tradition of over recruiting each cycle with no care for the kids already on the roster. I'm with everyone else...Pass

Give me an 18 year old that is always respectful and I'll show you this awesome bridge I have for sale in Brooklyn ... IMHO I think he was fed a bunch of crap ... and it didn't help that our coach 2 days prior to bolting told him he was sticking around ... I mean lets face it, the University did the right thing retaining Shafer but we didn't exactly come out of the whole thing squeaky clean either. Marrone did us no favor in that regard ... the kid I'm sure felt lied to and quite frankly looked for any reason not to continue on the path to SU ... the whole thing to me is water under the bridge. The way I see it ... it should be a lesson to guys like Brown or Ishaq that you can and often will be recruited over and SU isn't a bad place to be ... especially if a guy like Brown goes to SU and has an impact ... think about the precedence being set ... kid washes out at SEC school and makes impact at SU ... sweetens the pitch IMHO when we are going after those high 3 stars that think it can't happen to them ...

wfschrec said:
You can tell by that interview he was fed a bunch of crap and fell in love with bright lights ...

Bright lights, and to me it sounded as if the Facilities was really his main reason for choosing Tennessee.

Bright lights, and to me it sounded as if the Facilities was really his main reason for choosing Tennessee.

Agreed. Too bad a nice weight room doesn't decide to recruit over you or not, Butch Jones does

Too bad. I really liked him as a player and was a little upset that he flipped but this type of stuff happens. I think he realized he made a mistake. Hope he learned from it and land somewhere where he can excel. He needs to stay healthy though. Im happy with Ron Thompson and Ike johnson. With Slayton coming up we are gonna be fine. Couple speed rushers in this class will be great. We already have one. Plus Simmons has two years left.

Last edited:
I am skeptical of players leaving big name schools. The schools know their talent and work hard to keep committed, talented young athletes. So, not just Malik but I would be skeptical of any further big name school transfers.

he says in the interview he decided based on "what is the best business decision for me and if i made an emotional decision i probably would've messed up." well that's funny now.

tenessee was the best business decision. yet you really actually made an emotional decision and yes you messed it up.

he did also say that tennessee blew syracuse away in every category of his 1-5 ratings. its laughable that he kept mentioning academics. it's not like he was choosing vandy or wake or duke. it's tennessee.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom