Maliq Appreciation Thread | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Maliq Appreciation Thread

I really like when Red uses Maliq and QC with Judah/JJ/Justin. They can fly all over the court, pick pockets and there's enough shooting to make defenses spread out which opens up driving lanes and dump-offs. It's nearly unstoppable in transition.

Defensive rebounding is going to be a struggle with pretty much any lineup Red puts out there, so might as well have five guys who can all run and score.

Last edited:
I think in a month you'll be saying the same thing about Copeland. He's really starting to "get it".
There will be games where Copeland is ineffective and doesn't play much. Barring injury, Brown will be playing significant minutes in the middle and impacting almost every game with his defense.

There will be games where Copeland is ineffective and doesn't play much. Barring injury, Brown will be playing significant minutes in the middle and impacting almost every game with his defense.

Copeland's last 4 games: averaging 11 pts, 6 rebounds, 2.5 assists, and 0.5 blocks, and has played 24 minutes a game. His role is increasing with his production. He's shooting 16 for 24 from the floor (67%) and a very respectable 11 for 15 from the line (73%) in these last 4 games.

Copeland's last 4 games: averaging 11 pts, 6 rebounds, 2.5 assists, and 0.5 blocks, and has played 24 minutes a game. His role is increasing with his production. He's shooting 16 for 24 from the floor (67%) and a very respectable 11 for 15 from the line (73%) in these last 4 games.
He has been great. They're two very different players. Copeland is more of a high-risk, high-reward type, while Brown is more of a steadying force.

Last edited:
He has been great. They're two very different players. Copeland is more of a high-risk, high-reward type, while Brown is more of steadying force.

Maliq is also improving, and this is an appreciation thread for him. So let's look at his recent splits, too.

His last 6 game stretch is very impressive:
  • 22 out of 30 from the floor - that's 73% (!)
  • 36 rebounds = 6 per game (not bad, needs some improvement to 7 or 8)
  • 12 steals in 6 games ( 2 per ...)
  • 50 points in 6 games, including a horse collar against Cornell. Take that one out, and he's averaging 10 points a game.
  • 4 blocked shots total, 4 assists
He does need to get to the foul line more. He's only 6 of 8 from the foul line in the last six games. For a guy who is a good offensive rebounder, I'm surprised he hasn't gotten to the line more to date.

It's truly uncanny. I can't recall any frontcourt player as adept as Maliq at poking/stripping the ball
That’s why I like him coming off the bench when he can be disruptive to bigs who have been used to going against our 7-4 statue for the first few minutes.

Benny is pretty good at it as well.

That’s why I like him coming off the bench when he can be disruptive to bigs who have been used to going against our 7-4 statue for the first few minutes.

Benny is pretty good at it as well.

Benny's game against Oregon, and his game against Tennessee were his 2 best games of the year. He can be an important contributor if he just plays hard and fits his role and accepts his rotations.

Maliq is also improving, and this is an appreciation thread for him. So let's look at his recent splits, too.

His last 6 game stretch is very impressive:
  • 22 out of 30 from the floor - that's 73% (!)
  • 36 rebounds = 6 per game (not bad, needs some improvement to 7 or 8)
  • 12 steals in 6 games ( 2 per ...)
  • 50 points in 6 games, including a horse collar against Cornell. Take that one out, and he's averaging 10 points a game.
  • 4 blocked shots total, 4 assists
He does need to get to the foul line more. He's only 6 of 8 from the foul line in the last six games. For a guy who is a good offensive rebounder, I'm surprised he hasn't gotten to the line more to date.
Brown has played very well after reportedly being a bit banged up early in the season. I would expect his offensive game to continue to expand, and his solid contributions on the defensive end to be there most nights. At times he gets in foul trouble, but that's okay for a guy who comes off the bench to provide energy and change things up; I suspect he'll get better at avoiding fouls over time.

Love him and Cope. My favs. Both are a Edelin and Pace type of guys and if they get a shot like them from somwhere within free throw area we will have ourselves a good time. They play tough hard defense and work really hard. kick ass boys.

My family has nicknamed him "Pokey" for his uncanny ability to get at least 3 or 4 pokes of the ball a game. Literally the fastest hands at that than anyone I've seen my whole life.
He is the poke master - haven’t seen anyone else like him - seems like a couple of the other guys are trying it.

Since Maliq joined the program a lot of the discussion has been on what he's not - he's not big enough to play center, he's not a rim protector, etc.

The kid is just a basketball player. On defense, what he lacks in rim protection he more than makes up for in mobility and athleticism that results in steals. He's fantastic at defending the pick and roll and he's quick enough to guard multiple positions on the wing when he gets dragged out of the paint.

On offense, I know he had a few TOs yesterday but he's consistently shown the ability to make the right pass and even put the ball on the floor and attack the rim when he has an opportunity.

He's absolutely going to struggle to defend the rim against ACC teams with bigger front lines, but his versatility in every other aspect of defense more than makes up for that. For better or worse our best lineup features him at center.
Luv him as a player, luv him at PF, do not like him at center. Just another fine player joining a long line of guys playing out of position because we can’t recruit a good center or we can’t develop a center or our good center gets hurts or our potential AA center goes to another school for the NIL. Sigh.

Last edited:
I couldn't find this until now.
Love Maliq.

Dude just deserves his own thread.
You will nog find a bigger Maliq Brown fan since we started recruiting him than me. So underrated, so efficient.

In my opinion he is our best all around player and it’s not even close.

He’s our best rebounder, best defender, dude doesn’t even get that many sets run for him if any at all and still drops 20. Gets hand on every ball on defense, blocks shots, smart player. Just so so good. Best player on this team.

Best part is, he’s probably a 4 year player for us. He doesn’t have the size for an NBA center or power forward, doesn’t have the elite explosiveness the NBA scouts look for. He’s just a very, very, very good college player. Enjoy him while we have him folks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom