Maliq Brown: Starter? | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Maliq Brown: Starter?

There’s always that guy who seems to be left out of the rotation for no apparent reason. Lesean Howard was one notable example . Jesse edwards sophomore year the most recent until now, Brown. Don’t get it . Will never get it.

People trash Joe and he deserves it some of the time. But he really rebounds well for a short guard. He goes after it. I used to get so angry at Tyus Battle for his lack of rebounding for a big athletic guard. I remember so many times he would just stand there frozen in the lane and watch the ball and not even jump. Joe is half a foot shorter than Tyus and he’s averaged more rebounds in his career, including a 3 rebound average this year.
Underrated part of what he brings to the table on a team that sorely needs the rebounding help. HIs football experience helps him there in my opinion.

I like Brown but you can't have two forwards with minimal range and ability to space the floor. Subbing him for Benny makes a lot of sense. I'm encouraged by Benny's shot making from mid-range. 3 point range is not there.

JB is looking at Bell as an alternative at the other spot. He reminds me of Southerland in his early years. Lots of potential with Bell but he continues to play himself out of playing time due to his obvious weaknesses. That could be what we see all year and if so he'll continue to get a quick hook if the miscues continue.

Taylor is the recipient of increased playing time and has been the first forward off the bench. He provides some rebounding, may have equal shot making ability to Bell, and appears to have a lot of intangibles that Bell doesn't possess. The ball definitely moves better when he is in the game leading to better shot opportunities for others.

Is Pistol Pete injured? He didnt get in the game. Would have been a good opportunity to get 10 mins.

Also, now we know JB is intentionally playing Bol over Maliq, and it’s not due to illness or injury.

Maliq got run at the 5. I wonder if JB is considering that his 3rd center option, subject to matchups.

Is Pistol Pete injured? He didnt get in the game. Would have been a good opportunity to get 10 mins.

Also, now we know JB is intentionally playing Bol over Maliq, and it’s not due to illness or injury.

Maliq got run at the 5. I wonder if JB is considering that his 3rd center option, subject to matchups.
Carey was sitting on the bench with his leg wrapped.

Agreed. I haven’t seen him run faster than everybkdy and catch the ball and take it in for a fastbreak dunk like Kris Joseph. He’s never dunked on people or made the smooth plays like CJ Fair. Our typical starting forwards 10 years ago were all more athletic.
He’s never dunked on people like Chris Bell either.

I like Brown but you can't have two forwards with minimal range and ability to space the floor. Subbing him for Benny makes a lot of sense. I'm encouraged by Benny's shot making from mid-range. 3 point range is not there.

JB is looking at Bell as an alternative at the other spot. He reminds me of Southerland in his early years. Lots of potential with Bell but he continues to play himself out of playing time due to his obvious weaknesses. That could be what we see all year and if so he'll continue to get a quick hook if the miscues continue.

Taylor is the recipient of increased playing time and has been the first forward off the bench. He provides some rebounding, may have equal shot making ability to Bell, and appears to have a lot of intangibles that Bell doesn't possess. The ball definitely moves better when he is in the game leading to better shot opportunities for others.
I think part of the issue with Brown for now is being in the right place in the zone. Very interested in watching him develop, he is a real true 4 and may become a rebounding beast, and he looked the part of a true rim runner. Like all our frosh how quick the development is will be the key to how good SU can be this year. They all bring something but some are more ready to help now than others. I think Taylor has shown the most of the non-Mintz frosh but I do like Browm and i see athleticism in Bell and a sweet looking shot. Each player needs to improve in different areas for SU to reach potential. Copeland looked a bit further behind those 3 and I would not be surprised in Carey Redshirts.

Carey was sitting on the bench with his leg wrapped.
Thanks. I didn’t notice the wrap. Hope it’s minor, and I hope he’s not too injury prone. He spent a good amount of time injured in HS.

I like Brown but you can't have two forwards with minimal range and ability to space the floor.
It's hard to win that way for 40 minutes, but we absolutely can get away with it in short bursts. Not every team has the talent/personnel, to say nothing of the discipline, to effectively switch defense on the fly in response to what forwards are on the floor.

I see we’re beating this horse. Brown does a lot of the little things right. I think he can develop into a really solid player. I like his long term potential. But he needs seasoning, gives us zero outside shooting, is considerably less athletic than Benny and is still learning the zone rotations. Should he play over Ajak? Maybe. But I’m assuming JB doesn’t think his zone defense is good enough yet. Day, this isn’t directed only at you, but there’s a huge contingent of folks on this board, on Twitter, etc., that are living in the fantasy that there’s some secret answer-to-all-our-problems sitting on the bench that JB has just failed to see and left untapped. JB is at fault for this situation, but the reason is not because he’s failing to see an option on the bench that the rest of you do. It’s because for several years now he’s failed at recruiting and building a roster that can compete for the top 4-5 in the conference.
You still feel this way?

Bump. I can’t believe this is still an ongoing discussion.

But JAB doesn’t promise starts.
So sick of starting every game with 1 hand tied behind our back due to meritless conventions of predetermined starters

0A6B0752-69B6-4C6C-B360-2056F1A3642F.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom