Maliq Brown: Starter? | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Maliq Brown: Starter?

Does that happen everywhere to that extent?
I think for the most part, yes. Its just the game these days. Its not a reflection on the staff or anything, kids want to play and now that they don't have to sit out a year they just go where there is more time to be had. I dont blame them. But what that means is its much harder to bring in developmental classes then it once was. Better off going to the portal, getting younger kids and developing them because if they transfer again they have to sit out a year, or are grad transfers but if that is the case then you would have had them for 3 years anyway.

It’s not like Williams and JBA have outside shooting. Maybe you’re right and Brown’s not progressing enough with playing zone.

And it’s not that Brown is the answer to all of our problems. It’s simply that he does a number of things well that Williams and JBA do not (i.e. rebounding and inside scoring). At the very least he should be getting some run.

I’ve been one of JB’s biggest defenders in the past. My belief was that the Buddy years proved to be too much of a distraction for JB to coach effectively and that he would return to normal this year. Before yesterday, it didn’t look like it was going to happen. Some of the other games, though, it was as if JB wasn’t coaching at all. I’m not only talking about the losses. He just stood there in the second half against Richmond.

Speaking of fantasies, JB’s interviews on Thursday were a complete joke. He wasn’t just embellishing or playing loose with the facts. He was flat out lying.

Point is, I’m not as confident in JB seeing what he needs to see as I have been in the past. Yesterday was a good sign. I hope it continues and that JB has the energy and desire for it.

And I hope we get an explanation for Brown.
I’m not sure we really know the bolded is true, but I think that’s also part of the point. I’d like to see him get the chance to prove it. I think we can be fairly confident he’s better than JBA at those things. Benny, not so sure.

I guarantee you that JB is not giving up on making the tournament. There’s a lot of bad teams in the ACC. Wins are available. VT 57 NC39. Carolina looks awful. Bacot is not playing and they have no clue on offense. I‘ve never seen a Carolina team play this bad.

Disagree.
He looked more composed and college ready than Benny, and I actually like Benny.
It always boggles the mind how as soon as JB decides to banish a player to pine-time the excuses start coming out; “he’s not ready”, “out of shape”, “attitude”, etc etc. Only when forced to do so will JB change the rotation, and we’ll all get to repeat the now familiar refrain: “ Why wasn’t this guy playing before”? SMDH

Again - just posted on a game I watched him play. He was overmatched against another HS player. By a lot. This is the ACC.

Benny is just a better athlete at this point.

Used to be not a big deal that it took a season and a half for a kid to see the floor.

You have three forwards that literally cannot grab a rebound. JB went on a mini rant in the presser about it. Maybe try something else?

They better learn!

I’m not sure we really know the bolded is true, but I think that’s also part of the point. I’d like to see him get the chance to prove it. I think we can be fairly confident he’s better than JBA at those things. Benny, not so sure.
What was Benny’s stat line yesterday? I would be shocked if Brown couldn’t replicate (and even eclipse) those numbers.

Again - just posted on a game I watched him play. He was overmatched against another HS player. By a lot. This is the ACC.

Benny is just a better athlete at this point.

Used to be not a big deal that it took a season and a half for a kid to see the floor.
Who was the other player?

If Williams took the same approach as Brown, we wouldn’t be having this conversation. Our ideal starting 4 is Williams’ body combined with Brown’s brain.

Calling Dr. Frankenstein…

Who was the other player?

If Williams took the same approach as Brown, we wouldn’t be having this conversation. Our ideal starting 4 is Williams’ body combined with Brown’s brain.

Calling Dr. Frankenstein…

It was against BIshop McNamara in a tournament last fall (day before the Georgetown game in DC). In fairness the guy checking him looked like Greg Oden. Gerry was the SU guy at the game.

However he couldn't do anything...made lots of mistakes with the ball close to the basket, fired off some jumpers he missed. Team got run out of the gym playing a good WCAC team.

Kid was toolsy though, can see where he can be good in a couple of years with coaching and getting stronger.

I don't mean to be harsh about this but for whatever his reasons JB is more comfortable having some guys on the floor than others, and it doesn't really seem to correlate with what impact they have on the floor.
I think the correlation is almost always to perceived potential.
Benny may be pretty bad in a lot of respects, but he has the potential to hit some jumpers. His percentage and form may suck at times, but he has shown that he is willing to take them and can hit them. Brown hasn’t. It’s how JB rolled with Buddy and Jimmy and Joe. Even when they are ice cold, they’re still the ones who have the better potential to catch fire. If JB hasn’t seen it, he doesn’t believe it. If he has seen it, that impression has durability with him, even past logic or practicality sometimes.

with our upcoming schedule, think that JB will give Maliq and others a chance to prove themselves?
or is the rotation set?

If they are going to drop JBA’s man into the lane, then use him as a screener for Joe. The defender can’t do both.
They will double Joe/ball and disregard JBA rolling

They will double Joe/ball and disregard JBA rolling
He means if JBA is at the 3 point line and his man is standing under the rim the way ND was starting to guard him, he can set a screen for Joe and free him up for an open look before JBA’s man can recover. Benny, Maliq, etc. should be doing the same if they’re defended this way too. It’s basically what guys like Draymond and Giannis do when they don’t have the ball in their hands.

Is this a rebuild year where records don’t matter or are we trying to make the tournament? If JB feels Brown is expendable and would rather continue with the Williams project, that’s one thing. If he wants to win and needs rebounding and inside scoring from someone other than Edwards, then he’s got a guy on the bench who looks the part.
Or if he wants to continue to bury Brown on the bench, he should stop whining about the lack of rebounding.

with our upcoming schedule, think that JB will give Maliq and others a chance to prove themselves?
or is the rotation set?
If recent patterns hold, then I'd say it's set. The only way anyone else sees the floor is if there's injury or illness. JMHO

or is the rotation set?
I think nothing is ‘set’ except the starting five. Feels like Benny and Bell have ‘assurances‘ of starting, but not minutes. After the tip, it’s all up for grabs, based on matchups, results, whim, gut, recent practices, reaction to radio call-ins, viruses, phantom potato knees, doghouses, the tarot, or strange women lying in ponds distributing advice.

I'm just assuming there was a reason he was ranked #241 in his class and that his overall skill level and performance in practice has more to do with him not seeing minutes in close games than JB's incompetence as a coach.
Joe Girard was ranked 202nd in his recruiting class and he has been a starter for 4 years. JB had no problems giving him a lot of minutes as a freshman and hasn’t cut back those minutes after another guard left. Coach Boeheim does whatever he wants and then will say whatever to defend what he does.

Joe Girard was ranked 202nd in his recruiting class and he has been a starter for 4 years. JB had no problems giving him a lot of minutes as a freshman and hasn’t cut back those minutes after another guard left. Coach Boeheim does whatever he wants and then will say whatever to defend what he does.
Absolutely right. Doesn’t care a bit and only continues to coach to piss off guys like you.

Girard moved into the starting lineup as a freshman only after the two guards ahead of him completely flamed out.?

Absolutely right. Doesn’t care a bit and only continues to coach to piss off guys like you.

Girard moved into the starting lineup as a freshman only after the two guards ahead of him completely flamed out.?
Carey was bust but don’t try and argue Goodine had already flamed out.
I just checked the box score the kid got 8 minutes against Virginia. Where the entire team was bad.
Then Goodine played about as well as Girard the second game against Colgate.
2 games as a freshman made Girard an established veteran getting the lion share of minutes the rest of his career and Goodine was a bust?

Joe Girard should have been over recruited. The kid wasn’t a top 200 recruit just like you are arguing against Maliq shouldn’t be getting minutes. Coach Boeheim isn’t consistent and that is what upsets fans. We want to actually play meaningful regular season basketball games. Sorry I want to actually see all the players in the supposed best recruiting class actually get a chance and not just continue the run of mediocre basketball we have played.

Not arguing he shouldn’t get minutes. Simply saying that there is likely a reason based on how players are performing every day in practice that explains why he isn’t getting more minutes that goes beyond coach’s incompetence.

And it has nothing to go with Joe Girard.

He means if JBA is at the 3 point line and his man is standing under the rim the way ND was starting to guard him, he can set a screen for Joe and free him up for an open look before JBA’s man can recover. Benny, Maliq, etc. should be doing the same if they’re defended this way too. It’s basically what guys like Draymond and Giannis do when they don’t have the ball in their hands.
I hear you. To be fair, standing "under the rim" and staying in the lane isn't necessarily the same thing - 15 foot difference at the extreme. Anyway, JBA's defender can be "in the lane" and closing to the double as the screen is being set. I agree, it would not be as effective as hard hedging.

Here is the issue.
We dont have a forward who is very good. Not one. Taylor is a 2. The other kids all have bits and pieces but none of them are close to being complete players. They are all average. We have 2 good players and a kid who if he gets hot is good if not hes a liability. Benny teases but hes a spaz who seems like a new born giraffe more then a 4 star. Bell does nothing other than shoot 2 hand 1950s set shots.
Personally i think Brown has potential not sure if hes the new whipping boy and jba plays hard and is our best forward defensive player.
We have projects not ACC caliber forwards

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RSmith

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom