Maliq Brown to Duke | Page 77 | Syracusefan.com

Maliq Brown to Duke

Your hypothetical is exactly the type of stuff that’s been used for the past decade here as we accept mediocrity.
The whole offseason has had a real 2021 offseason vibe to it, unfortunately.

Complete with trashing the guys on the way out as bad seeds (not that some didn't deserve that label) and hoping the guys coming in are better than they are despite evidence to the contrary.

I'm still rooting for Red. I still think he can get us to a maintainable level.

Again, doesn't matter until the NCAA shows they're willing to come down.

If Red started working back channels to get Markus Burton from ND would anyone here bat an eye because he was in-conference?
You mean, exactly what he did with JJ?

I Dont Ron Burgundy GIF

I don't know anything about Mason Gillis, but how does he fit into this now that he committed to Duke?

I don't know anything about Mason Gillis, but how does he fit into this now that he committed to Duke?
Beats me. He's a veteran wing shooter that's a good defender. There's going to be a lot of unhappy players on that team transferring next year if they want anything more than money.

Yes, rather strange. Duke obviously must have had issues with leadership with their young squads so their board is saying despite never being a starter this past year that he’s a ‘glue guy’ giving them some experienced winning leadership as a starter in early years at Purdue and another guard option. Sounds like they are adding him as a bench option and locker room guy.

Yes, rather strange. Duke obviously must have had issues with leadership with their young squads so their board is saying despite never being a starter that he’s a ‘glue guy’ giving them some experienced winning leadership and another guard option. Sounds like they are adding him as a bench option and locker room guy.
Played forward for Purdue and more minutes than the guy who started for them at the 4.

Played forward for Purdue and more minutes than the guy who started for them at the 4.
Interesting that he started 3 years with his most minutes his soph year (23.5) and went to the bench this year his senior season, averaging 21 minutes. Only 6’6” but 230 lbs seems pretty short for a 4 but gives them more flexibility moving players around for matchups. I would think a grad student would be promised playing time. Their board talks about him being a glue guy, used to winning, solid experienced team player.

Interesting that he started 3 years with his most minutes his soph year (23.5) and went to the bench this year averaging 21 minutes. Only 6’6” seems pretty small for a 4 but gives them more flexibility moving players around. I would think a grad student would be promised playing time.
Feels more and more than this is $ related for Duke vs playing time

I don't understand Duke's approach for this year... it's been proven again & again that the 5 star, 4-5 player freshmen class model doesn't bear post season results. And really hasn't for years. Yes, the talent looks great on paper, but it just doesn't work. Teams of veteran, 3-5th year (even if just for a year via the portal) of grown, seasoned players with role clarity & chemistry is what works, and will work, moving forward.

I don't understand Duke's approach for this year... it's been proven again & again that the 5 star, 4-5 player freshmen class model doesn't bear post season results. And really hasn't for years. Yes, the talent looks great on paper, but it just doesn't work. Teams of veteran, 3-5th year (even if just for a year via the portal) of grown, seasoned players with role clarity & chemistry is what works, and will work, moving forward.
You don't understand Duke's planning but you're ok with Cuse letting our best player go so a "5 star" can take his spot?

Duke's academic standards make them a different animal; They're no less lenient than big state schools when it comes to HS admissions but for whatever reason they're stricter about honoring existing credits from other colleges which restricts their selection of portal pickups, so even as more schools look to the portal they're going to be stuck with HS recruits until that changes. Rodney Hood and Seth Curry are the only notable transfers they've had in the last 20 years.

So what does the Purdue kid do to Maliqs PT? Flagg isn't sitting, and they are going to need the shooting.
The Purdue kid is a bench piece. Provide shooting and crashes the glass. That’s what he did at Purdue.

The Purdue kid is a bench piece. Provide shooting and crashes the glass. That’s what he did at Purdue.
He played at least half the game all 4 years at Purdue, will be interesting to see if he transferred to Duke to play less.

I imagine with Gillis coming in, he's going to start at the 3 with Flagg at the 4 or vice versa? Elite shooters like that typically start (aka Bell), especially since Duke will need the outside shooting with next year's team. I feel like this pushes Maloq to the bench...?

Losing your MVP is always bad as a program. It happened, it's over. If he left for money, playing time, whatever, it's not good. Especially when he goes to Duke. That is awful. We decided that we couldn't offer him what Duke wanted (priority in $$$ or position or a combo), we made a choice.

Our front line is Lampkin, Donnie and Bell. If people here are happy with that, cool If people here are wary of that, cool. Put me staunchly in the latter.

Our guard situation is not good.

But losing Maliq isn't losing a role player. Whether we can improve with who we have next year remains to be seen. Hope so. Wouldn't bet on it.
The narrative in this thread has been the above bolded--he left due to $$$ and/or on-court usage.

I have another slant. What if Maliq grew up as a Duke fan? Coming out of high school as less than a 4 Star recruit, Duke was not interested. But after he proved his worth over 2 seasons in the ACC (including dropping 26 on the Devils), the Duke coaches had a different opinion. They made it known that they were interested. Maliq sees that the money and playing situation might be roughly equivalent, which is enough to get him to head to his "dream school". Voila! Done deal.

[The Duke degree doesn't hurt.]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom