Maliq Brown to Duke | Page 78 | Syracusefan.com

Maliq Brown to Duke

I imagine with Gillis coming in, he's going to start at the 3 with Flagg at the 4 or vice versa? Elite shooters like that typically start (aka Bell), especially since Duke will need the outside shooting with next year's team. I feel like this pushes Maloq to the bench...?
Elite shooter? Good 3pt percentage over his career but small volume. He averaged 4 shot attempts per game. If he was elite his volume would much higher. You would also have to imagine a good amount of his shots were open looks as a result of defenses packing it in vs. Edey.

Brown is going to play veteran defense and babysit that front court of young kids. We could’ve used him but we needed a true 5 and couldn’t turn away our best HS recruit since Melo. No need to overcomplicate why Brown made his decision.

For Duke though I don’t think Scheyer has any clue what he’s doing and their NIL just keeps giving him blank checks. All he knows is that NC State made a deeper run than Duke working with much less and UNC has been in the Natty game more recently. Elite 8’s are not good enough for where they want to be. He’s just acquiring every guy he can and hoping something sticks. I think he’s going to be on the hot seat quicker than some think

Brown is going to play veteran defense and babysit that front court of young kids. We could’ve used him but we needed a true 5 and couldn’t turn away our best HS recruit since Melo. No need to overcomplicate why Brown made his decision.

For Duke though I don’t think Scheyer has any clue what he’s doing and their NIL just keeps giving him blank checks. All he knows is that NC State made a deeper run than Duke working with much less and UNC has been in the Natty game more recently. Elite 8’s are not good enough for where they want to be. He’s just acquiring every guy he can and hoping something sticks. I think he’s going to be on the hot seat quicker than some think
I gave you a 'like for that first paragraph. I'm interested to see if things play out like your second paragraph. I hope it does. It would be nice to see them suffer a little.

Last edited:

Agreed across the board.

I wish I had a dollar for each time someone posted that an incoming freshman for SYR will be a first-round pick after year 1. It rarely happens, maybe the last were McCullough, Ennis and Richardson. Waiters, Lydon, Carter-Williams and Fab Melo might have been the last 1st round picks after year 2. People overestimate incoming freshman. The ACC is a huge step up from high school and the AAU. I'll be satisfied if Freeman is adequate and serviceable in year 1.
We haven’t recruited guys like Freeman in years. Years.

How do people feel that Chris Bell is entrenched as the 3 in both scenarios as though he’s some all American?

The larger issue is that exact point.

There is no way there should be a world where we ended up in this choice. There are other avenues that could have been taken.

But let’s go back to your question of a world in which these were the only two avenues, I’m taking Brown (a known quantity) as priority, Donnie #2, Lampkin #3, Davis #4.

But, again, your scenario is ignoring the fact that other choices could have been made that prioritize Donnie and Maliq.

But here we are. Praying for Dakota Leffew. Spotlighting Bell and JJ and hoping Lampkin somehow better than he was last year.

Your hypothetical is exactly the type of stuff that’s been used for the past decade here as we accept mediocrity.
Bell’s trajectory and ceiling are higher than Brown’s. Bell has a skill that is highly coveted. Very few people can shoot like him. Would love to see him come back a bit bigger and stronger with a commitment to defense and rebounding. He will get more good shots this year with an inside offensive threat. Also, a year better JJ, Moore and Freeman will require the defenses attention. Westry tbd. Same with McCloud.

You don't understand Duke's planning but you're ok with Cuse letting our best player go so a "5 star" can take his spot?
Best player is a false flag. Best compared to what? Mercurial players who were average, at best.

Bell’s trajectory and ceiling are higher than Brown’s. Bell has a skill that is highly coveted. Very few people can shoot like him. Would love to see him come back a bit bigger and stronger with a commitment to defense and rebounding. He will get more good shots this year with an inside offensive threat. Also, a year better JJ, Moore and Freeman will require the defenses attention. Westry tbd. Same with McCloud.

Agree to disagree. All good though. Hope you're right.

I just hope people don't boo Maliq when Duke comes to town next season. I'd like to think we're above that, and he handled everything that was thrown at him last season better than anyone expected.
While I hear you and mostly agree with you, he is going to have the full wrath of the student section

That's unfortunate. People are gonna do what they're gonna do I guess but it'll come off as incredibly insecure and vindictive (as it was with Girard).

I just hope people don't boo Maliq when Duke comes to town next season. I'd like to think we're above that, and he handled everything that was thrown at him last season better than anyone expected.
He’s gonna get boo’d heavily. It was his decision. He’s getting paid. He can deal with it. Just my opinion. I’ll likely join in. He jumped ship for Duke, not some B1G or SEC team. Duke.

He’s gonna get boo’d heavily. It was his decision. He’s getting paid. He can deal with it. Just my opinion. I’ll likely join in. He jumped ship for Duke, not some B1G or SEC team. Duke.
Duke is only as powerful as the amount of attention you choose to give it.

Duke is only as powerful as the amount of attention you choose to give it.

Its sports.

The kid decided he’d go to the highest bidder who gave him the most ideal “promised” playing time.

At the end of the day not one of us fans are obligated to like him. He’s paid to do the things he does. Professionals accept the criticism as part of the job (within reason of course).

Again, I wish him health. Health and two winless seasons.

It's simple - I cheered for Maliq because he played for Syracuse. He has decided to leave the team I cheer for to attend Duke (a conference rival). Paid or not paid, he made the decision to leave and therefore I will root against him when he plays against Syracuse.

For pure entertainment I’d love to see Judah pull his name one more time and transfer to Uconn

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom