Maliq Brown to Duke | Page 41 | Syracusefan.com

Maliq Brown to Duke

Yes and no… what is our NIL situation? It just feels like we are up against it a bit and until we resolve that - maybe Red is limited to what he can do.. who knows- I just think we were going to be gambling one way or another no matter what

Maybe. And maybe there was nothing he could do.

But if that's the case, I question his effectiveness as a HC at a high major.

And I love Red. I want him to kill it. And you can't win every battle, but for a team that kept Benny on for a long time, let Judah run the show, etc... I'm not sold that he did everything in his power to keep Maliq. But I definitely could be wrong.

Talk about disingenuous. You're having a logical meltdown right now.

Brown led the team in BPM. Totally same thing as dude who barely played.

This is my last post in this rabbit hole.

-Guys move from their first school a lot. Someone else in this thread posted whatever stat on that. You using guys that have already moved, are on a defending title team from their home state, or are a lottery pick. Comparing that to Brown, IMO, just doesn't fly.
-Someone else whined about elite schools not losing kids. If I missed most important or whatever sue me. A 10 second check (10 seconds no one will ever get back) showed elite programs losing kids.
-Now two kids with much better stat lines the year after they moved aren't important for whatever reason.
-Always liked Brown, he's not a screwup and generally good things happened when he had the ball.

Looking forward to a lax win tonight. Later.

We are in the middle of the pack when it comes to the ACC.

There are going to be teams that can outbid us.
behind I’m hoping UNC, DUKE, MIAMI, LOUISVILLE, VIRGINIA? maybe Pitt too?

This is my last post in this rabbit hole.

-Guys move from their first school a lot. Someone else in this thread posted whatever stat on that. You using guys that have already moved, are on a defending title team from their home state, or are a lottery pick. Comparing that to Brown, IMO, just doesn't fly.
-Someone else whined about elite schools not losing kids. If I missed most important or whatever sue me. A 10 second check (10 seconds no one will ever get back) showed elite programs losing kids.
-Now two kids with much better stat lines the year after they moved aren't important for whatever reason.

Looking forward to a lax win tonight. Later.
Guys do move on from their first school alot. I'll agree with you on that.

Usually it's...
A) Guys who don't play much/are good fits at good school dropping down a level
or
B) Guys who are good/great at a mid major type school going up a level

We are currently B (Jesse, Joe, Maliq).
Good teams get the B's. Until we get the B's and I see them on the roster, there's concern when we lose them

Most of us consider Syracuse to be in the second tier of CBB programs right under the blue bloods, right? Show me how many times the most important player from one of the teams in our tier or above has transferred in the last couple of years, please.
Re-reading this post...seems like "most important player" is definitely mentioned.

Also, post didn't seem like whining at all. Just stating a fact.

Maybe. And maybe there was nothing he could do.

But if that's the case, I question his effectiveness as a HC at a high major.

And I love Red. I want him to kill it. And you can't win every battle, but for a team that kept Benny on for a long time, let Judah run the show, etc... I'm not sold that he did everything in his power to keep Maliq. But I definitely could be wrong.

With all this around Maliq- the big question is what do we get from Bell/JJ and Westry? I think we are living through a Jesse leaving post mortem at the 5 since Maliq wouldn’t have played there much with Jesse and we wouldn’t have a player in McLeod that is hard to see how he doesn’t create a logjam and a risky one given 7-4 dudes with foot injuries is a scary thing especially ones that are mobile and need to be mobile to be effective.

Pair that with NIL and it feels like we just need a couple major breaks to turn it around. UConn found the PG out of ECU and snagged Clingan while finding an identity to boot. We need to strike gold with our PG, get JJ, Bell and Westry to be what we need and our big guy to be the best version he’s ever been of himself.

When Freeman gets in foul trouble or needs a breather, I guess we need a portal 4-man to get excited about playing 5–10 mins a game

He can drive left fine, just finishes with his right. Kid can score and shoot the ball, needs to sharpen his D and passing
That’s being nice. Defenses always shade to his right because they know he won’t attack on the left. Especially on the wing.

Most of us consider Syracuse to be in the second tier of CBB programs right under the blue bloods, right? Show me how many times the most important player from one of the teams in our tier or above has transferred in the last couple of years, please.
I don’t personally. We used to be but we have a lot of ground to make up to get back to that.

You put Lampkin, JJ and Bell out there together, you need Donnie and the PG to be all world defenders.
I agree with this. As much as I do think Lampkin can bring something useful to the team offensively, and rebounding the ball, he's simply not mobile enough cover for JJ and Bell's defensive lapses and even if he was mobile enough, he doesn't block shots.

Lampkin is a pretty good player. I just don't think he's a good fit for what we're expecting the rest of the roster to look like. Feels like we're gambling on Bell and JJ buying in on defense as juniors. As an outsider, that's not something I'd feel comfortable doing but I'm hoping there's a good reason that Red is optimistic about that lol. I will say there were definitely moments, particularly with Bell, where he locked in defensively and looked really impressive, but it was unfortunately very rare.

I've mentioned it before but until proven otherwise, my general expectation for the team will be what we were this past season; trying to scrap and claw our way onto the NCAA Tournament bubble. I don't really have any reason to expect more than that next season yet but we'll see. Obviously a lot of moving parts right now.

i understand coach losing judah ( he was gone last year). i get dismissing benny ( send a message) .
losing taylor was best for both. Q you should have held onto (unless he was poison). but with all these other somewhat excusable defections...losing maliq brown is a big problem for coach red's cred.

i understand coach losing judah ( he was gone last year). i get dismissing benny ( send a message) .
losing taylor was best for both. Q you should have held onto (unless he was poison). but with all these other somewhat excusable defections...losing maliq brown is a big problem for coach red's cred.
I dont understand how not paying a guy probably $800,000 is a big problem for reds cred. this is an e ff you pay me situation and i for one am glad we arent paying.

In regards to NIL...

We are in the middle of the pack when it comes to the ACC.

There are going to be teams that can outbid us.

How do you know where we rank? Or are you just guessing?

I’m not saying positional basketball shouldn’t be the goal. It should and I’ve said that’s been our biggest issue for years. But if JJ played the 5 better than Lampkin, I would keep JJ there.

When we got Naheem everyone was so excited by his size. What did we get there?
Lampkin and McLeod are night and day. McLeod does nothing other than block shots, he does everything else so bad I don’t know why the two are compared.

It's going to morph into MOneyball for college basketball with a teams constructed from a bunch of analytics one year at a time.
I made this comment awhile ago, the teams that do this will be towards the top. Have a feeling coaches that don’t jump on this train won’t be long in the ranks.

I agree with your high regard for Maliq. But Who is saying he’s a role player? Straughn said it a month ago. He’s a centerpiece for what we want to do. (That doesn’t mean he’s the biggest star or top scorer.)

SU assistant Brenden Straughn, Brown’s position coach, describes Brown as “probably the most valuable, the most important piece of what we’re doing on both ends of the floor.”
I love Maliq but that's a little bit of coach speak. On a good team, like say any that played over the weekend, his role would be role player.
He will be a loss and will fit in well wherever he goes, but he's going to be a role player on a good team unless his offense takes a giant leap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom